Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel pressure regulator

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by tri5trucks, May 2, 2017.

1. Hey guys. How do I tell which fuel regulator I have. A block style or a bypass style. I have a standard tank for a 56 Chevy truck, a street demon carburetor, and a holly mechanical fuel pump. I bought the regulator with no paperwork. I've looked at both types and they both have 3 ports a gauge a vacuum port and adjusting bolt. My tank has no place for a return line, so if I have a bypass type can I block off the return lone port. Any help is welcome. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll need to identify whether it's a bypass reg or not. Even a non bypass may have 3 ports, one in and 2 out, so it would be wrong to assume there's a return, just because there's 3 ports.

Pics would help id the item i expect.

I can't imagine blocking off the return on a bypass type will work as sending the excess down the return is how they work. The non bypass just seem to block the flow, and make a loud hammering noise when they do that. Well, that's my experience!

Chris

3. oj

oj

Very likely you don't need any regulator with the mech fuel pump, what is the holley number? A bypassing regulator will have identified ports, it'll say 'bypass' or 'inlet' as part of the casting, it should not have a vacuum port as those are for fuel injection/turbo application that are boost referanced to raise pressure along with boost pressure and not a vacuum port at all, they are also 'bypass' type.

mad mikey likes this.
  4. It has a port on the left and right and o e on the bottom. It cam in the repackaging with a plug screwed onto the port on the right. I have a 680cfm street demon carb. The Allen plug in the front is where the gauge goes.

5. Both ports on the sides have the same size moon shaped hole inside where the one on the bottom is almost blocked except for a small hole about about 1/8 in diameter.

6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

has an Aeromotive look about it - pic stolen from the interweb - might help narrow down your search for instructions. upload_2017-5-3_8-42-17.png

clem likes this.