Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Duel Transmission adapters

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BZNEIL, May 2, 2017.

1. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Hi I have an odd situation on a vintage sprint car/champ car I am working on. It will have an SBC with a '39 ford transmission behind it. The Chevy is bolted to the Chevy/Ford trans adapter and the adapter is bolted to the 3/8" thick motor plate. The transmission is then bolted to the other side of the motor plate. This all works and has been done thousands of times.

My question is if I want to switch to a Chevy transmission can I just add a Flathead Ford to Chevy transmission adapter to the back of the motor plate? So basically can you use 2 transmission adapters back to back?

Thanks!

2. BJR

BJR

Depends if the input shaft of the Chev transmission is long enough to reach and go into the pilot bearing.

3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

It is a closed drive line.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A lot of the older Chevrolet V-8 to early Ford transmissions "marriages" used a Chevrolet V-8, cast iron Powerglide starter motor "ring", and bolted the Ford adapter to that, and then that to the Ford transmission. How does the starter motor bolt on? A photo would help ID what you're working with. I'm not really versed on roundy-round racers, dirt or asphalt. IF the starter bolts to the Chevrolet block, then engine to the plate, then to the adapter bellhousing, you might get away with it. But then, you have to connect you new Chevrolet trans to an enclosed driveline (???). How do you plan to address that? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a closed drive line you will need to figure out how to put the drive shaft to the Chev trans unless to are going to mate it to a pickup (48-54) trans which has an enclosed drive line and the large Chev front. Its weakest link is the 1/4" x 28 thread cap screws holding it together. In the old days there were GMC powered sprinters which actually lived with the 3 speed Chevrolet car transmissions with the small bolt pattern... Remember transmission lower gears were used to move the car in the pits if you didn't use an in-and-out box...off turn 4 when the green flag waves you are all in high gear or 1-1 which is straight thru.
    Also in my opinion, yes on the 2 adapters. I have the trans in my avatar after the engine plate and use a deeper or stepped pilot bushing which is readily available ( places like Speedway)