Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kustoms blues? I need to see some kustoms....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when chrome was chrome and Women were Women [​IMG]

2. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Thanks Mick - that is an amazing car and I don't think I have ever seen a picture of it even. So I did go ahead and buy it and will bring it to the SK500 if there is any room left for another car. (I wish!)

3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen

@Dan Greenberg WAHOO!!!! Hey a Kat can dream...... LOL!!

4. SHOTGUN!

5. gonmad

gonmad

I was pretty impressed with this thing as I was cruisin home from the roundup Sunday afternoon, I see it coming up on my left down the interstate almost to the MO state line and he BLOWS by me and is gone. I was running about 85 or more. Not everyday you see a Buick kustom blasting down the highway about 90+mph! LoL!

6. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

7. buick boy

buick boy

straykatkustoms likes this.
  8. ThreadMaster90

ThreadMaster90

Work in progress. 51 Chevy. Mustang 2 front suspension, 3" drop blocks in rear, 2" drop spindals in front. Chopped 4 1/2 " in rear and 4" in front . Some shaved chrome, and a built 350 with a 171 blower running about 3 lbs boost. She is my sleeper IMG_20160911_101556037.jpg IMG_20160911_101556037.jpg IMG_20160911_101538036.jpg

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

10. It's been on & off of ebay for some time. I think I had found something a while back, I'll look again.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    54delray and Moriarity like this.
  11. Still haven't found any info but here's an old photo.
    20685701935_f295a8cf21_b.jpg

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

oh man, looks way better... looks like pontiac split bumper on front

13. I agree..and those scoopy looking things on top of the headlight bezels got to go.

14. OneBad56

OneBad56

First show of the cruise season in Calgary Alberta, saw this older custom that has been around for some time (yes, its a more-door)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. junkjunky

junkjunky

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Lkfflk

Lkfflk

Here's a picture of mine chopped 5" in front 6.5" in the rear IMG_20170401_165333042_HDR~5.jpg

17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Those "scoopy looking things" ARE the headlight bezels. Mid-'60s Pontiac.

18. I think mr57 is referring to these "scoops". If you look close you can see them in the old picture of it I posted also. It's from the way they merged the round and square fender shapes together.
    upload_2017-5-2_8-9-17.png

19. I know it was the 60's and there were a precious few trying to keep kustoms going, but I'm gonna have to say that while those scoopey things on the tops of the fenders were no doubt an effort to blend the round fender and square '65 Pontiac headlights, a rounder set of quads would have been a better choice. ;)

OG lil E, 54delray, gonmad and 2 others like this.
  20. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Holy cow! Somehow I completely missed those.

Now I wish you hadn't pointed them out to me...!

21. I have to admit that the Pontiac quads were a strange choice for such a round car.
    I found a picture of a Chevy coupe from California that was very popular in the late 80s and early 90s. The build quality was top shelf, including the all Corvette suspension and drive train and Corvette wheels. With just a few minor cosmetic changes it could have been a knockout sled.
    Sorry, I'm rambling. Aaaaaannny way, they used Lincoln quads on the car and they are a far better choice than the Pontiacs.
    The Olds is still a cool car though, and making some changes would really help in the looks department. It can be done, but it would take some work. Would it be better to try and undo the Pontiac lights by cutting the fronts off the fenders and changing them to something else? Maybe would it be better to get new fenders and start all over again, but then you have to deal with the grille mods again. Whatever would need to be done, I'd hope somebody would put a front bumper on the car. To me, it looks unfinished without one. E

11DaveDale-vi.jpg

22. Can't sleep, so got up, practiced guitar quietly (I'm terrible lol) and now that my fingers are sore, time fore the HAMB. LOL I agree Ed, those Lincoln quads were just what I had in mind. I forgot about the car above, even have pics saved of it. Had I remembered, I would've posted them. LOL I guess the question comes in where do you draw the line on an old custom? Leave the poor choice because it was there way back when or change it to something that works better. I guess for me it would come down to how "historical" was the car....how much ink, how well known, who did it, etc. Of course, I've tweaked the two "finished" cars I've ever bought, so who am I to draw any lines? LOL But yeah, no matter what you do about the headlights.....it's gotta have a bumper put back on. :D

23. OneBad56

OneBad56

Have to agree about Lincoln quads, they look good on a lot of rides.

An old Vancouver, BC custom being restored
    [​IMG]

Another well known custom back in its days in the Northwest, Fred Welsh's '40 4-door "Treasure"
    [​IMG]

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I know the headlights look different, but all cars are different. I`d add bumpers to the front and rear. Change the tire and wheel combo and remove the lake pipes. Look at the pic above. It doesn't look half bad. It`s the two tone paint that`s throwing off the build style. And I`d remove the headrests. The seats are from GM 66 to 72. So that`s the time frame of the pic.

25. I think they could be left and improved on. Maybe some little chrome spears facing forward.....
    Or the rear of the existing "scoop" reworked a little, sort of in the style of a 1955 Pontiac...

Agree with Stanlow on the paint, that is a big distraction. They aren't nearly as noticeable in the older photo.
    Definitely bumpers, on the front at a minimum. Wheels/tires, I don't mind the pipes. It looks like in the older photo that it has shorty lake pipes. You can just see the turn out under the open door.

26. You've got a good eye, Jim. The Olds looks great in red! First, you're right, the headrests have to go. Then change the two tone to a single color paint job and install bumpers and it would finish the car off nicely. In the red version pic, I like the look of the Pontiac split bumper. I wonder if the car was wrecked and it got smashed up and during the rebuild they decided not to replace it. Does anyone know if it originally had a bumper on the back?
    I'm a hubcap and lake pipes guy, so if it were mine I'd leave them on. E

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Those quads are off a 1963 Pontiac, most of that car was 'squared off' from the factory but they don't quite work on a "round car." I would have shortened the 'scoop-thingie"on top of the fender (no more than 2 inches in length) and added a couple of very small small chrome "teeth"...would have improved it's "look"...

R-

gonmad, Sancho, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  28. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK