Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Seattle Area History

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Apr 27, 2017.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I would love to see and hear all about the history of hot rods in and around the Seattle area. I once heard that in the greater Seattle area, there are more classic cars per square mile than anywhere else in the country. They're just usually kept in the garage. We have the LeMay Museum that collected a lot of cars from the area. Let's hear some history on the local hangouts, pics of the cars, the tracks, etc. Only place I've been to is the XXX joint in Issaquah.

2. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was amazed to learn there used to be a racetrack on Aurora at N. 132nd. Just a strip mall now with no evidence of its former glory. Here's a 1950 program I got from an old-timer friend.
    Auroro-Race-Program.JPG

scotts52 and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'd like to see and here some too

4. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

scotts52 likes this.

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

And the Seatac Speedway! In my early years we would ride the bus up highway 99 to go watch,

6. scotts52

scotts52

When I was a kid I went to a dirt track with my grandpa. I think that was outside Burlington if my memory is right. He lived in sedro Woolley and it was about a 40 minute drive I think.

7. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Isn't that Skagit speedway?

uncle buck likes this.
  8. scotts52

scotts52

Skagit. Yep. That's the one. I was only about 10-11 at the time. That was a lot of fun. First time I'd ever seen dirt track. I grew up around paved tracks

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went to the drags at Pacific Raceways in the afternoon the circle track races at Sea Tac in the evening and rode the ferry back to Bainbridge after a weekend with my dad a lot in the early 60's.

10. My youngest son lives in Seattle and I flew from Texas to visit. I did not see a single "hot rod" on the streets,but I did visit the Lemay Museum and was very impressed. Three cars that really impressed me were a 67-69 Mustang with SOHC big block with 4 speed, a fiberglass 64 Buick Wildcat from G.M. And a 1932 Ford Sport Coupe with an early 50 's style garage setting. There was also many early BMW cars from the 30's and the woodwork inside of the museum showcased the beautiful northwest timber the museum was constructed from.

11. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There used to be a track down at Spanway, east of Tacoma, and more smaller strips to the west. I hope that includes your definition of "Seattle". Now days, all we have inside the city is parking lots, including 99 and I-5.

Risking going OT, there's also the LeMay Family museum. It's located at the old military academy, google it. Not as fancy, but more cars. Someone in the know could do a write up on that. Last time I was there, they still had some local race cars, modifiers, etc.

We do have hot rods up here, but you'll have to fly up in July-August to see us.

12. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

They used to only open the LeMay Family museum one weekend a year, very worth while!
    https://www.lemaymarymount.org/ Kasey Kane learned to drive on the Spanaway dirt track. I lived 6 blocks from Jerry Ruth, we could here the fuelers run every time he started one!

13. High5

High5

I'm not sure Seattle held the most classic cars per square mile. California kind of set the standard because of their weather (sunny most of the time). Regardless, Seattle still had a strong car hobby following. Typical cruise venues were Seward Park (Lake Washington), Golden Gardens (near Ballard) and Alki Beach (West Seattle). On any given Saturday and Sunday during the summer we would make the circuit by cruising all three. I use to hangout at a local Herfy's drive in near White Center or Gils $19 cent hamburger joint in West Seattle. On Friday nights, you could find grudge races on Harbor Island in between the industrial complexes. As others stated Pacific Raceways was really popular. Local car clubs like Henry's Haulers, Eastsiders, or Seattle Rod-Tiques would host rod runs in an around the Seattle area. Some were overnighters. I wish I had some photos to share. Unfortunately I didn't get a camera until later in life.

14. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Add the Rent on loop to that list.

15. Xman

Xman

69-70-71 I did the Renton loop and Everett loop. Always had a good time till the businesses complained and the cops had to move in.
    Had a wheel standing 30A sedan at that time.

mike in tucson likes this.
  16. Farther south..Pierce County, as a teenager in '68.
    Early Seventies cruising Highland Hill 6th ave Tacoma
    Puyallup Drags..Meridian- South Hill Puyallup
    Downtown Puyallup cruising Herfy's
    Busch's 38th & South Tacoma Way
    Graham dirt track Motorcycle track
    Spanaway Dirt track

I'll second, Lemay Family Museum is a must see.

17. spooler41

spooler41

I can recall spending, many a weekend night at the old XXX, Rainer & M clellen, drag racing at the old I-90 ,eastbound
    tunnels,the Renton loop, Golden gardens and a ton of other spots around
    Seattle. Generaly '58 to '62 time frame.

Jack

18. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

I'm originally from Bellingham. I thought we had the the hottest cars in the Pacific Northwest until I cruised down to a Seattle hang out and discovered they had us beat. I remember seeing a 64 Vette gasser that over the top cool!!

warbird1 likes this.
  19. scotts52

scotts52

Here's a pic I found from 1959 6e460e40fbba3559822b974032b6e987.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  20. scotts52

scotts52

A few more I found 88b274bf853b0f771d2343b3905d9d28.jpg igloo-may-1954-web1.jpg

uncle buck and Muttley like this.
  21. scotts52

scotts52

Parts of the Space Needle being delivered 920x920.jpg

22. scotts52

scotts52

23. Oilguy

Oilguy

I loved the Dog House. Someone spent a lot of time painting the murals on the walls. All roads lead to the Dog House.

SR100, chryslerfan55 and ClarkH like this.
  24. samurai mike

samurai mike

anybody from bellingham remember the 'purple haze' or have any photos?

caseywheels and warbird1 like this.
  25. Yeah, I went to tech school with the guy that built it. But no pics... sorry.

26. samurai mike

samurai mike

i never saw it but heard storys. i haven't seen the 'party doll' in many years, what happend to it?

27. The Purple Haze was a really nice car before it got jacked-up and painted purple; it ended up sitting in a field out by Lynden for several years before it disappeared. I've seen the Party Doll at a couple of shows, but not for the last few years.

28. magooz

magooz

In 1961 Gills 19 Cent Hamburger Stand was the place to hang out Friday & Saturday nights with our Hot Rods in West Seattle. My first car was a 4" chopped '32 Ford 5 window coupe with a 324" Olds & '39 ford box. box . Wasn't a show car, but was to me @ 19 yrs old.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  29. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

magooz, Kudo (sp) still around? Still have his Willys?

30. Richard Head

Richard Head

Tom Nielsen resto-rodder on the HAMB writes some articles for the custom car chronicle. Some of his articles are about local cars, mostly from the Everett area.
    http://www.customcarchronicle.com/author/customfan/
    Check out the article about his 1941 Mercury convertible that he showed his senior in high school. He sold it to go to college, and never saw it again. Pretty amazing car to have in high school.

Dave