Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1957 Cadillac engine swap question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by logic2, Apr 29, 2017.

1. logic2

logic2

Just acquired a 57 Caddy Eldand the original block (365 ci) is locked up & missing the intake/carbs.
    Until I can remove and tear down the motor to see the damage, rust, etc...and know if it's repairable,

I'd like to hear what others have used for engine /tranny replacement.

I've read several posts about people having problems swapping in BBC, but curious if SBC also requires significant modifications ?

Thanks in Advance

Mike

[​IMG]

2. rc57

rc57

My dad has a 365 w/single 4bbl engine/trans combo he pulled out of his '57 62 series. Drove it home and pulled it to put in a built 500/400TH. He's in Arkansas, if you have any interest I can PM you his phone and you can talk to him about it.
    Rich

clunker, logic2 and falconsprint63 like this.
  3. A 57 Eldo is a valuable car. Installing a single 4 barrel 365 will dimish it'd value a little but installing a chevy engine will drop it's value a LOT! I have absolutely no problem with a small block chevy motor but it has no place in a 57 Eldorado. Good luck with the original engine...hope it's usable.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    warbird1, clunker, Moriarity and 3 others like this.
  4. I agree with Rocky. Be sure to check what the car is worth to a collector. It might be worthwhile to spend a little extra and have the original engine rebuilt. Go SLOW on your decision. I am sure there is a Cadillac club with a web site (I was on it several years ago when looking for an Allante). Does anyone know the production figure for that style?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    logic2 likes this.

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Yup..... Get the original motor fixed and find the correct intake and carbs for it. You will have a gold mine on your hands. Of course, it may take a silver mine to do it right

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker, Truck64 and Max Gearhead like this.
  6. Caddystew

Caddystew
    from East Texas

I just completed swapping in a 1970 Cadillac 500 into my 57. It is a lot of work but can be done. Biggest issue is saying enough is enough and let's get back on the road. PM me and we can discuss what it takes.

clunker and 302GMC like this.
  7. khead47

khead47

Dual quads and air cleaner will probably gonna cost you more than the car- but will be worth it in the long run.

logic2 likes this.
  8. logic2

logic2

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Hopefully the block / crank will be useable.

Thanks again
    Mike

9. Ya, that's a '57 Eldorado Seville, not some Sedan or Coupe. I would do some research before you take a torch to it to install some LS or SBC thing.

If you're itching for Chevy power, you might do better to sell the Eldo and buy a roached out Coupe Deville and do your 350/350, and keep the change.

If the seized motor is numbers matching, you could take the existing motor out and store it, it wouldn't be that tough to find a running 390, the 390 should bolt right up to hydramatic, sometimes you need the newer bell housing for the starter to clear the motor's oil pan. The Jetaway isn't that hard to rebuild, if it needs freshening. This way you're not cutting up a '57 Eldo, and the anal collector who buys it from you in 10 years for $70,000 can have the matching engine block. Just a thought, but I would try to rebuild the original motor and just run a single four barrel until you come across a dual quad, I came across one on Ebay with orignial Rochesters for $300

Just a thought

logic2 likes this.
  10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i've posted this before; maybe bears repeating. from about 45 years ago... Scan0038.jpg

11. I remember seeing that before. Good article. A lot of good info for that option on www. Cadillacpower.com

This would be a really excellent old hamb thread for the OP to read:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...engine-tranny-swap-need-some-guidance.651545/

A lot of people chime in with their own real world experience doing exactly what he is contemplating.

I think a lot of peoples' hesitation isn't about reluctance to do an engine swap in general, I'm pretty sure we are all for hot rodding an old car. But if you're into old Caddies, especially a 57-58, the Eldorado is a pretty special beast. Even though it's not a Brougham, this is a really cool car, GM went nuts on the Eldorados in '57-58. After that, they weren't all that much different from the rest of the line up (well except for the Pininfarinas in 59-60, but that's a different story)

I think either way, the OP wins. Awesome car.

dan c likes this.
  12. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

13. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

logic2 likes this.