Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model B transmission identification help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Beau

Beau

I'm trying to figure out what I have here. It was sold as a '32 truck transmission. I'm assuming that's incorrect. I can't find any numbers besides the 3.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Looks like a '32 Model B trans to me. Serial # would be on the upper flywheel housing, not the case.

Beau likes this.
  3. I agree with Will. It looks like a Model B transmission used in passenger cars and light commercials (pickup trucks). It is definitely not the "big" (Model BB) truck transmission (which is probably good). The '33-'34 4 cylinder transmission is the same except for the rear mount is different and the shifting tower will not have the place to attach the emergency brake.

Charlie Stephens

4. Beau

Beau

Thanks. The brake handle forged into the cover is what threw me off.

5. Southfork

Southfork

That is the first one of those I have seen (in pictures, or otherwise). Probably they are not very common. If you don't use it in a build, I would be interested.

Beau likes this.
  6. Beau

Beau

I plan to use it. I'll have to clean the shifter housing and see if I can get a number.

7. If you will find any number it will probably be a casting number that won't tell you much. The two threaded bosses on the side of the shifter housing were '32 only. If you change to later gears you may need to change the housing. Gears will fit all the way to '39 with the '39 and up being the best. The expert on transmissions is Mac VanPelt and he posts on HAMB. His company address is
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm

Charlie Stephens

Beau and The37Kid like this.
  8. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

From Rod Action Magazine....fall 1975....

Trans-01.jpg Trans-02.jpg Trans-04.jpg Trans-05.jpg

jebbesen and UNSHINED 2 like this.