Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox transmission hump.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasRay, Apr 28, 2017.

1. TexasRay

TexasRay

A few months ago i picked up a decent 51 Shoebox, it was completely taken apart but had almost every part except the engine and tranny. I'll be installing a 302 with a aod transmission. I'm almost done cutting and repairing all the rusted floor pans but i keep reading on the HAMB that the transmission hump will have to be raised.
    My question is how much would it need to be raised and does anybody have pictures that's done it? I'm looking for some visual references.

Right now i have the body off the frame and its the perfect time to do it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advanced!
    Ray

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

When in high school in the late 60's I built a 50 Ford with a 53 Olds engine and a 4 speed hydromatic trans and didn't have to cut the floor you can't get much bigger trans than that you will be ok

TexasRay likes this.
  3. This is the transmission hump from Shoebox Central, and I think it would clear a big automatic (that's how they're pitched on the website). You can see that it's surrounded by factory-style sheet metal. I have to fab something to fill the gap. This was a little while ago. I've since ground off the boogers and seam sealed everything.

Attached Files:

TexasRay likes this.
  4. TexasRay

TexasRay

That doesn't look like a big difference. Are the humps on the 49-50 cars different from the 51?

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. My avitar has a 700-r-4 in it under the stock floor mounted on the stock crossmember. I had to put just a tinny bump for fill tube clearance. I know the 700- r is a bigger case than a Ford AOD. My 57 Ford has a 351-aod and I did nothing at all to it's floor. I'd say mount the body and set the motor/trans in it and see how it fits.
    The Wizzard

TexasRay likes this.
  6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I knew someone who cut out a 51 hump to use in a 49.

TexasRay likes this.
  7. F.Y.I. 51 was the first year for Ford-o-matic so they made more room for it. Totally different than 49-50 like junkyardjeff says. I still say do a test fit and see what you need.
    The Wizzard

TexasRay likes this.
  8. TexasRay

TexasRay

9. Having a 51 you should be fine, as @Pist-n-Broke mentioned they made the transmission tunnel bigger in '51. Only '49 and '50 cars have issues fitting an AOD.