Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1954 Ford Carb Issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Colombo, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Colombo

Colombo

Good Afternoon everyone,
    I am having a bit of an issue and hope you guys can shed some lite on this.
    1954 Ford Customline with a 239 Y-Block

Issue: car dies when i let off the gas and coming to a stop or hard turn.

I have taken the carb off and cleaned, set the float to proper spec. Car runs fine at highway speeds and normal speeds. on city streets it runs great and turns, stops and does not die.
    When I've been driving on a highway at a little higher speed and come to a stop or to turn on to a street the car will just shut off. There is no noise from the engine as to not getting any fuel. If I am coming to a stop or turn I will normally put the car in neutral and put one foot on the break and one keeping the other on the gas pedal at a higher idle and the car will not die. I just stick it into 2nd gear and keep on going.
    I don't think it starving for fuel as I don't hear or feel and sputtering. I don't feel it's electrical since it stays on if I apply gas and break when coming to a stop.

Is the car flooding?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 54vicky

54vicky

I would drop the float a little.if fuel pump pressure high it will cause flooding.it does not require a lot of fuel to run the old girl.

3. rjones35

rjones35

Before I learned what little I know about carbs compared to some guys, I had a Holley do that same thing on a roadtrip. It was fine as long as i was going, but when it came time to slow down and stop, it would die. Turns out the mixture screws had vibrated way out of adjustment. Gas station guy charged me 5 bucks to get it going again. Maybe yours just needs adjusted?

4. Chopt50Ford

Chopt50Ford

Ya, kind of sounds like you are running out of fuel when you completely let off the gas. Probably mixture screw or dirty carbs.

5. Do you have a in line gas filter? HRP