Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tri Power Intake Finish SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tray502, Apr 27, 2017.

1. tray502

tray502
    from washington

I need some ideas on changing the factory cast finish. Been working on the 35 International and am changing out the single carb to Tri power. I'm not real excited with edelbrocks finish on the new intake so before I mount up the carbs I thought I'd get some input from you guys, cast paint finish, maybe a light grey, satin or flat clear coat?
    I appreciate your input!

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Normally, I like mine as they come out of the box. RAW! But, for my present build, I'm painting my intake (and everything else) black.

3. Sold this one I had, Offy intake powder coated silver, looked like polished intake with some texture. WIN_20160212_114535.JPG

Bandit Billy, tray502 and loudbang like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

You mean you are going to put three carbs on a single carb manifold? Look like it in your photo.

mad mikey likes this.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I just had my cast alum. intake powder coated with clear. Dont have any pics yet but will post one tonight.

tray502 and mad mikey like this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Polished is always nice, but shot peened is kool too. There's something in your vision of it, what you want to see. What is that? Hardcore? Showrod? Stealth? Just plain "different"?

mad mikey likes this.
  7. OP, I see a picture of a truck and one of three carbs. No intake.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  8. j3harleys

j3harleys

I painted mine and I really like it. John's Deuce (115 of 20).jpeg

9. Many different ways....sandblast and clear coat engine clear paint....sandblast and wire wheel to give it a brushed look or (a lot of labor) beadblast, sand and polish. Or beadblast and powder coat.

mad mikey likes this.
  10. sololobo

sololobo

I had a Edelbrock dura shine and loved it. But I really dig J3's painted on his coupe. Really a great engine bay all around buddy. I really love the 3 two's, just the coolest hot rod motor look to me.

j3harleys and mad mikey like this.
  11. Blake 27

Blake 27

Mine's polished but I do like a well painted manifold! DSC08707.JPG DSC07099-001.JPG

mgtstumpy, slimcat7m3 and tray502 like this.
  12. tray502

tray502
    from washington

Here is the picture of the 3x2 set up in my coupe. The finish on the new Elelbrock intake I ordered is pretty shiny for my taste.

Attached Files:

13. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before resorting to paint or powder coat, perhaps you could just blast it with some medium glass beads and put some Gibbs on it? If you don't like that, try the others. Powder coat can be had to remove off if you don't like it when it's done.

bchctybob and tray502 like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can also have it tumbled if you know someone local that does that. Comes out with a vintage kind of glow, not polished but not cast anymore. I tumble alternators, intakes, and heads prior to assembly. Cleans up old parts and makes new parts look older.

I don't know where you are in Washington but Russ Meeks in Clackamas at FinishLine does my aluminum work and he is incredible.

rtp likes this.
  15. tray502

tray502
    from washington

That looks great
    Highlander, was thinking maybe more of an old school look. My buddy just painted his Flathead Eddie Meyer intake. I do like this finish. Cool motor too! IMG_1165.JPG

j3harleys, mgtstumpy and slimcat7m3 like this.
  16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^ ^ ^
    That looks nice, I like it. I did this with some Dawn commercial aluminum cleaner for restaurants. Got it from our local "GFS" food wholesale. I used a worn out grey Scotchbrite pad, and lots of product. I don't want polish, don't want blasted, don't have a new shot peen source just yet. It'll do for a stocker.
    003.jpg

mgtstumpy and tray502 like this.
  17. distributorguy

distributorguy
    from MN

Clear turns yellow within a year and powder coat gets discolored over time too. Engine paint will crinkle if you apply it to powder later, and you will destroy an aluminum manifold trying to get powder coat off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I just got this back from the powder coater. Satan clear over cast alum. The color changed and its a bit glossy but my 32 has a full hood and if I get leaks it should be easy to keep clean. IMG_1867.jpg IMG_1868.JPG

turboroadster likes this.
  19. bchctybob

bchctybob

Sounds weird but I just sandblast mine and wash it in my solvent tank. Blow it off with air and it looks "normal". Paint, clear and powder coating always look especially bad when it starts to go wrong. Polishing is cool if the whole engine isn't polished. As far as cleaning goes, I just use some carb cleaner on a rag or an acid brush with shortened bristles, follow up with a clean rag. To bring back an old manifold sometimes I just use carb cleaner and stainless brushes, it ends up looking like a clean old casting.

tray502 likes this.
  20. I had the intake manifolds chrome ceramic coated on my avatar, not expensive and very easy to keep clean, recommended! My headers were finished with that process as well.
    DSCN9714.JPG

21. tray502

tray502
    from washington

I live just east of Vancouver Wa, I had Russ do some coating for me in the past. I think I will try to get over there and have them tumble it and see how it looks!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  22. tray502

tray502
    from washington

Very nice Graham. Super clean. Getting ready to start a little 331. Like your set up!

23. tray502

tray502
    from washington

Rusty. That turned out really nice. Great color.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tumbling suggestion pulled some cobwebs from my memory. That bright ceramic has to be polished, or some shops do indeed tumble their stuff in different media to get the initial gloss then finish polish. I'm wondering what the tumble would do to raw aluminum. I sorta think it would be like shot peen 'light'...?

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those dirty parts that don't abide caustics, this shit's just short of magic. Hard to find, worth a search.
    [​IMG]

26. xracer40

xracer40

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Russ tumbles aluminum in a ceramic trianglular looking media. I started with new products, de-edelbrocked them (sorry Vic) then let Russ do his thing. I took him the water pump, intake and heads. He clear coated them after tumbling. That was 5 years ago on my 396. I don't baby this car, I drive it hard, put it away wet, still looks great and wipes clean.

natas454 likes this.
  28. negative on a lot of counts
    Have you had anything coated recently?
    The quality of products is amazing compared to the crap of 10 years ago.
    Yes you can remove powder coating from an aluminum manifold without destroying it. There are ways of stripping coatings w/o media.
    Powder can be used as a base for paint if you want.
    Not trying to bust your balls, but why contribute to a thread if your just guessing with info?

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER