Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, at least he's "doing", which is more than we can say about some folks we know:rolleyes:

Tudor, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  2. Changed the MIG over to .023 and spent 4 hours stitching these up.
    IMG_4811.JPG
    About 10pm I notice one flange is flat as can be and the other is like a potato chip :eek: So I called Blacksmith Tom of course.
    IMG_4812.JPG

Of course he says why don't you call me when you don't have a problem? o_O Uhhhhhhh how's the wife and kids? :) Forget that stuff! Help!

He's like "I keep telling you steel is not solid, just use some heat and water and it will move like play dough - didn't you learn anything from that I-85 bridge that burned? They poured water on it and boom! Potato chip city!

So - clamp it down and use the torch to heat a red stripe - not clear through to the table though - then pour some water on it. You need to do it several times and work your way across the flange. Call me when you don't have an issue :rolleyes: "

And ..... it works - went to bed.
    IMG_4814.JPG

3. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Are those tubes equal length ? :)

4. As much as my armature ass could get them. All based on @402BOSSMAN secret formulas ...... starts 2-1/8" but looks like 2-1/4" because me and Dan had to fishmouth the tube, then I shoved 2-1/8" up inside, so its really 2-1/8" coming off the head with some blending.

402BOSSMAN and loudbang like this.
  5. When I called Tom last night I asked what he was doing and he said moving his cabin ;) I was reminded of this flick - truly among the great film productions of 1976.

toms.JPG

402BOSSMAN, Tudor and loudbang like this.
  6. greybeard360

greybeard360

All it takes is one arc to destroy an MSD box. Disconnect the main power and ground wires and you are good to weld.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tudor, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Don't let the missus see Mandingo, she'll be a changed woman!

Tudor and Dog_Patch like this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I just disconnect both cables at the battery.

9. Now that's a question - I have the race track required battery disconnect - its off when I work on the car, but I'm wondering about all the crazy spikes of electric charge running all over the frame and body when the welder fires. Think that's only protecting the battery from spikes at that point . ?? I thought Tudor blew one up welding once?

Uncledirty616, Mtn Goat and loudbang like this.
  10. greybeard360

greybeard360

Trust me.... If the wires are connected to the box it can arc the box and kill it. Disconnecting the battery does not protect it. I am not saying it will always kill the box, but chances are it will.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  11. I've been told by everyone it is a good thing to do. Glad they have a disconnect now or at least wire with this in mind so you can easily isolate. Hell I've also been told to take the magneto out or the welding will demagnetize the magnets. I've done a bunch of welding on the car before I was told about the magneto and it still worked, but now I take it out just in case.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  12. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

^
    Believe what graybeard said !
    Got one of those teeshirts.

loudbang, Dog_Patch and Tudor like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I had one taken out by a lighting storm.....or that's the story I am telling.

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

So Greybeard, you're saying I need to do more than just bat. cables on BGII, which is MSD equipped?
    Mine doesn't have a disconnect, as it's a few years since I installed it but I have only welded on it once or twice since, and the bat. was unhooked.
    Guess I could install some disconnects, but which wires, all of them?

loudbang likes this.
  15. greybeard360

greybeard360

Main power ( big red wire ) and ground ( big black wire ) ... The rest are fine to leave connected.

And yes, I have welded with them hooked up. But there was that one time.... Customers car. Cost me more to buy a new one than I made on the job. I read but didn't heed the warnings!!!

Tudor, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

OK THX, I should be able to easily put in a 2 pin polarized pin connecter such as used on trailer hookups for that without too much trouble. In case you don't know, BGII is a '31 Hiboy roadster with all the MSD stuff up under the cowl where a gas tank normally is on a stock "A". Has a MSD bulkhead wiring connecter thru firewall to engine bay.

Tudor likes this.
  17. Getting things wrapped up for the weekend - hope the MSD fires off - waiting on an injection fitting to get here today and then try it tonight - nothing like cutting it close o_O

IMG_4835.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG

Stole this off the Gram :p There's so much going on in this picture :rolleyes:
    IMG_4834.PNG

18. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Headers look really good.

19. savannahDan

savannahDan

whats the story with the lower-most weld on the collector? Were the other collectors just for mockup or did you run into a catch? Just wondering in case there are challenges I should be prepared for when I build mine. The pre-made merge collectors are nice, if pricey, but might be worth it versus transitioning and welding all 4 pipes together there at the end and making some sort of cone. Also, the evac fitting going straight in the pipe...does it work ok like that? Man that sounds like a lot of questions, sorry lol.

Finished product looks awesome!

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do you have enough angle on your evac tube and should there be a check valve in it.

loudbang likes this.
  21. SCuse me While I Whip These Hedders OUT

upload_2017-4-27_12-51-16.png

22. Go get em. Show them some hemi power.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  23. Super secret spy stuff from Smithberg - yes I did cut open that collector to get to the secret stuff :rolleyes: since you helped on the pipes, I'll let you into the spy loop ;)

Zero angle :D The check valves are being ran down on the way home from work - wouldn't want to have nothing to work on at the track .... never enough time.

Man I hope so - feel like we are either upgrading or broken most of the time.

mad mikey, loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  24. glrbird

glrbird

Welcome to Drag Racing," if it ain't broke, don't fix it " doesn't apply.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  25. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Good luck wish we were coming:(

loudbang likes this.
  27. Mtn Goat

Mtn Goat

Good Luck Tony! You have certainly put in the time & energy prepping... Now its time to go have some FUN!

mad mikey and Dog_Patch like this.
  28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah Tony, go git 'em:D

mad mikey, Dog_Patch and Floater03 like this.
  29. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Go get 'em Tony! Will be waiting on some live feeds...:cool:

Dog_Patch likes this.
  30. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Good luck!! Wish I could have made it! Next race!!!!

Dog_Patch likes this.