Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Desoto fluid drive slow to change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chewie1, Apr 27, 2017.

1. chewie1

chewie1

Hi again I now have another problem with my 47 desoto fluid drive
    In high range I have to let off the gas and coast for about 10 secs before it will change from second to third
    Is there any suggestions as to what might cause this
    I have topped up the oil in the fluid drive unit but no real change
    Thanks

Sent from my E2105 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Would strongly suggest joining the P15-D24 forum, I've had my 1940 Dodge since 1971 and still learn things I didn't know about 30-40's mopars from these guys, I've never ahd anything to do with Fluid drive mopars as they were not that common here in Oz but there are guys on the P15-D24 Forum who will be able to help.....look forward to seeing you there....Andy Douglas

41 C28 likes this.
  3. chewie1

chewie1

I'll have to drag my computer out
    As can't seem to sign up via my phone
    See you there

Sent from my E2105 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The transmission is filled separately from the Fluid Drive. To fill the transmission look on the right side of the trans, about half way up. You should find a pipe plug like a typical manual transmission. Reach in with a finger tip, if you can't touch oil top it up with TDH tractor fluid, ISO 32 grade. TDH stands for transmission, differential and hydraulic oil. It is a common item in North America at auto supply and farm supply shops especially in rural areas. If it is not available use straight 10W motor oil.

It is easiest to check from under the car at oil change time. But if a hoist is not available there is a removable access plate in the floor that allows the trans to be checked and filled from above.

The transmission needs to have its oil changed every 10,000 miles. The Fluid Drive only needs to be checked and if necessary topped up every 10,000.

Your transmission shifts by hydraulic pressure. If it is low on oil it will not shift correctly. Check the trans and top up, see if it fixes the problem. When you lift off the gas you should hear a *click-clack* from under the floor boards. It takes about 2 seconds for the trans to shift.