Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions on Model A Top

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GreaserJosh13, Apr 25, 2017.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys. Wanted to get a few opinions on the top for my model A. I'm going to replace it with another vinyl top or whatever it's made out of, but there is a long grain & a short grain. In your guys opinion what is the better of the two, or is there a better option that will weather better than the original style? Pictures of what has been done to your rides would be great too!!
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. what year build style?

3. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

4. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

I like the short grain.

GreaserJosh13 likes this.

5. pleated white naugahyde was a common choice in the 1960's

GreaserJosh13 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. I did a non-stock vinyl top tht snaps in but may redo it with some black canvas type material. Are you going for a stock look or some type of a custom thing?

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The short is the better looking choice. Both are "correct" as it was dependent upon where it was built. The long has more gloss, looks a little cheap in my opinion. I use the short even on Packard inserts.

Wurger and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  8. Visionary pinstriping

Visionary pinstriping
    from amherst ny

here is a photo of the long grain not a very good shot but its all I have. the long grain I believe is what they originally used on these cars and that was the look I wanted.

Attached Files:

• 109.JPG
      109.JPG
      File size:
      227.1 KB
      Views:
    • 108.JPG
      108.JPG
      File size:
      289.6 KB
      Views:
  9. Man, that is nice!

10. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 30-31 A Roadster has a nice original style LeBaron Bonney top. The quality is first rate and the fit is right on. Probably not the least inexpensive way to go, but it is the best. I run the rod with the top in the summer to keep sun out of the compartment and topless in the winter when it is cooler. Check out LB and see what they have. JWL

11. RacingDad

RacingDad

I'm going to use clear Lexan...

12. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Sweet car!

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

How about a pleated top...**clic pic for larger image** sedan top 013.JPG sedan top 015.JPG

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I had a off white top insert in my '33 coupe, it was much cooler inside the car than when the top was black... much more so when stuck all day on a tar/black parking lot...
    the black top will expand and contract with sun and shade... top material takes a beating...

15. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use the short grain....buy the kit and install yourself...I did mine on a weekend and came out very nice....anyone can do it, just take your time. Stretch end to end, then side to side then the four corners. Weekend job for two semi handy guys. IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0301.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_0183.JPG

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Great looking car!

17. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Ok. So I'll probably go with the short grain. I like the idea of the pleated top too. Looks like it's removable for the summertime???? If so how to you keep it on place while driving? Thanks for all of your suggestions fellas.

18. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey Ron. I read your thread on lowering your car. Great info. Thanks for posting it. I may end up using some of your ideas. Very cool looking car. I'm kind of partial to fenderless high boys, but your lowered fendered car is very cool.

19. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey Visionary. Beautiful Car. Is it a 31? I want to take off my fenders & get my car sitting like yours. Did you change out the rear end/what rear end are you using, Wheels, Springs, axles? What's your set up. I've got a stock 31 right now & I'm trying to get ideas on what people have done to there's to get that look. Any info would be great. Thanks!!!

20. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks....im big on hi and lo boys as well my first hot rod built from ground up early 70s....started with only a $1200 frame and body built entirely in my one car garage. IMG_0175.JPG

21. 28TudorAZ

28TudorAZ

22. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey scrap metal. I'm thinking about doing something like this. Is this your car? If so why did you split it in the middle? Also can you explain what you did & how you attached it so it doesn't come flying off?
    Thanks.

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

24. 20160711_153247.jpg long grain......

55zephyr and Nailhead Jason like this.
  25. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Here's a bit of a conversation Scrap Metal & I've been having. Thought it would be good to add to the Thread.

"Hey Scrap Metal,
    I just wanted to pick your brain on how you went about making the vinyl top for your sedan. Why did you split it in the middle? What did you use under the vinyl? How did you attach it so it doesn't fly off while driving? Any other info you can think of would be great.
    Thanks
    Josh

"Hi Josh, I wanted the pleats to run length wise and they only make the vinyl in 60" wide.. If I wanted them to run across the top I could have done it in a continuous piece.. On 28/29's there is a 1" deep lip around the inside opening of the top.. I laid 3/8" plywood on this lip.. I took another 3/8" piece and laid on top and drilled holes through both to bolt the top piece to the bottom piece.. I secured the bolts in the top piece and glued and stapled the marine vinyl to it and then bolted each piece through the bottom layer.. I then caulk around the edges of the vinyl and was done... Hope this helps.. I had less then a $100 in the project... Milo"

"Thanks Milo. That's great info. I have a 31 Fordor.
    -Do you think the 3/8 plywood will shape to the rear slope of the roof? If not how do you think I should handle that?
    -How did you attach the 3/8 plywood lip to the car?
    -Are you able to unbolt the panels & remove them for a sun roof.
    Thanks
    Josh
    P.S. you should do a tech/how to article about this. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to know how this is done."