Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bare metal panels- WAX???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miki562, Apr 24, 2017.

1. miki562

miki562

Hey everyone! So I've stripped my cars interior of all the parts needed to make it light enough to detach the body from the frame for my single stage paint I bought. And thanks to everyone's suggestions I'm confident the paint will look good! But now I'm worried about the bare metal panels that are to go over my painted car. My buddy at Bear Metal Kustoms punched about 700 louvers on the hood, roof, decklid and lower decklid panel... my question is to you... how do I get my bare metal panels to stay like that??? I want something permanent, WD-40 and scotch Brite is not something I want to keep doing and I don't want clear coats. It doesn't work. I read wax works as a permanent solution... and I'm going to go for it! Only question now is... how? Anyone got any tips??

54acfae1cc57f131ed8ca074d8bcd536.jpg

The look of 'voodoo psychosis' is what I'm going for. Painted body, bare metal louvered panels. Not as kustom as this at all, since my policy is function iver form... but you get the point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I haven't heard of wax treatment for bare metal but it wouldn't take much to do a test panel and see how it holds up.

" Gibbs" brand lasts quite a while but it's not permanent. It's not high mainainence either.

There's some pretty cool artsy multi step paint treatments that look a lot like bare metal.
    There also Some powdered metal and resin stuff that you can actually polish, I've done copper and brass with good results but they have a bunch of others metals too.

loudbang and miki562 like this.
  3. cretin

cretin

The permanent solution is paint. And even that needs maintenance. As far as I know your best bet is Gibbs. Or swap your panels out for aluminum ones.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    loudbang, miki562 and WiredSpider like this.
  4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I have NOT found ANYTHING that will LAST more than 4 months ... nothing
    without reapplication.
    Subscribed here for the REAL answer.

loudbang, miki562 and GreaserJosh13 like this.

5. NAES

NAES

Agreed with HOK. I have an OT VW bus that has quite a bit of bare metal where the OG paint has disappeared. I have tried every type of wax and oil to keep the bare metal looking clean and fresh but nothing is maintenance free. My current treatment is Colonite fleet wax which seems to hold up pretty well against the elements. But once mother nature breaks the wax down there's always a little freshening up to do. I keep the bus under a cover but once the moisture has evaporated from the wax I have to reapply. Just the cost of bare metal.

And since the OP is in Long Beach, the salt content in the air will accelerate rusting even faster.

Let us know what you find, NAES

loudbang, miki562 and henryj1951 like this.
  6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Why not just use a good primer if you are going to paint it?

junk yard kid likes this.
  7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

There are direct to metal clear coats. That's what I'd look into

8. You might try to hunt up a can of Sheila Shine. It's made mostly for stainless and chrome but seems to be usable on any metal surface.

http://www.sheilashineinc.com/professional-advice/

It's not a permanent coating, but a protectant. But it's very easy to apply and a little goes a long way.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

each to their own on looks - sample pic dying to be finish painted - will be watching for the non-paint/high maintenance solution

loudbang and Special Ed like this.
  10. I hate to beat a dead pony, but bare metal is not nearly as trad as paint. Paint helps keep the panels from rusting too.
    Its a sweet car and its not mine but if it was mine I would consider painting it.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Falcongeorge would give you a scolding for not painting it.
    Paint it. Just like they did back in the 50's and 60's.

loudbang, miki562 and WiredSpider like this.
  12. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Bare metal is soooo Y2K. Once your hands are all chewed up from putting some kind of protectant around all those louvers, you'll wish you only had to do it once.

loudbang and porknbeaner like this.
  13. Actually if a man were willing to spend an hour or so with google there is a way to chemically pickle the metal that will last quite a while. it changes the color of the metal a bit, but if bare metal is a must it is a good enough trade off.

yes pretty new millennium ;)

miki562 likes this.
  14. miki562

miki562

Let him scold all he wants. The guys who raced these in the 30s and 40s must've cringed at 50s and 60s builds.

15. miki562

miki562

Which I love all hot rod builds, btw. Not bashing on anyone's taste.

16. miki562

miki562

New Millennium or not, I'm trying to go more for the way lakesters had bare aluminum panels, except I can't afford all of those panels in aluminum so bare steel will do for now

17. miki562

miki562

Okay great! Thanks!!

18. miki562

miki562

Thanks for the input!

19. miki562

miki562

I'll look into this, thanks!!

20. Be careful if you order that stuff from Australia..... We call it Saliva

ClayMart, loudbang and 49ratfink like this.
  21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I wanted some part to be bare metal I would just buy scotch brite pads by the case.

22. Why not go down and talk to your local powder coater. They make gloss, semi gloss, and flat clear. Just tell them you want it clean metal and not sandblasted before the powder clear gos on.

23. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://www.nyalic.com/Automobiles-_c_21.html
    I have a buddy who has a bare metal 34 coupe and a bare metal custom merc and uses nyalic rattle cans on both cars. Not cheap but super durable. I think it was designed for commercial kitchen applications.

miki562 likes this.
  24. cretin

cretin

We have tried that experiment before. Our result was that the metal turns grey during the curing process, and the end result didn't really look like bare metal anymore. We had a customer who was interested in doing it to a roadster body.
    But, it's still worth asking, maybe someone else has had success.

25. cretin

cretin

Interesting. Never heard of this stuff.

26. miki562

miki562

DUDE THIS STUFF IS AWESOME!!! Your answer is what I've been waiting for, NOT people's opinions on finishes! This stuff looks like it should do the trick. I'll post pictures of the progress as I move into it. Thanks again!!

27. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

The Sunday Morning car show guys (not to the prime time car dramas) have been using Sharkhide on bare metal. I saw Stacey David use it on brake lines as I recall.

28. Ahh yes... "Shiela" has a little different meaning in Oz, doesn't it. ;) Luckily, I can procure mine locally. :rolleyes:

29. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are the two cars i was talking about. The 34 is not patchy like it appears. Both covered in Nyalic rattle can. Both with superb bare metal finished bodies. Thanks to Jimmy and Kerry Keeys of Ace patterns NZ.
    IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0019.JPG

miki562 likes this.
  30. miki562

miki562

Dude, whoa!!!