Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 46 ford hoods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bryanyeskie, Apr 25, 2017.

1. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

silly question will a 46 ford car hood fit a 46 ford truck?

2. 270ci

270ci

You can get anything to fit if you whittle and hammer on it enough, but just comparing my 46 car hood to 46 truck hood and cab features, I'd say it's not gonna be a bolt on deal by any stretch. I have no idea how they compare width and length wise, but the shape and body lines are quite different.

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

No. Totally different.

4. 6-71

6-71

not trying to be sarcastic,but I have had a hard time getting a 46 ford car hood to fit a 46 ford car

RICH B, vtx1800, figure8 and 7 others like this.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

They almost always fit like shit form the bottom of hood to top of fenders.

6. I have a '42-47 truck hood,front fenders and bed.

7. donno

donno

No, what 6-71 and rusty rocket said x 2.

8. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Damn was hoping there wouldn't be a ton of work. I kind of new it wasn't going to be a bolt and go. Guess I'll have to rethink or at least eyeball the car hood to truck... Let you know how it goes when I get there.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. studebaker46

studebaker46

I know where you are going with this and have seen a few trucks with the car front clip and the look killer but I don't think t is simply bolt on you have to do some surgery around the door pillars but it looks cool if you can pull it off. Tom

10. Torchie

Torchie

Do a search and you should come up with some of the truck with car front conversions that have been done on here.
    They usually involved using the entire car front clip which requires a fair amount of surgery, One by 55Merc used the car fenders and the truck hood.
    They can and have been done and when done right look very good. Kind of like another brands version of the Hudson's pickup that used the same front sheet metal as their cars.
    Torchie

11. If you are attempting to add car front sheet metal to a truck-It should end up something like this...
    5df0a59f3992ab73d6368648c471136a.jpg

slv63 and LBCD like this.
  12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

The more I look at that, the more unsimple it gets.

But I like it.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think it would be a LOT easier to use the front half of a passenger sedan body on a passenger frame and add a bed. Bodywork would be simpler and you'd have a chassis not based on oxcart tech.

14. Duellym

Duellym

I always thought these looked really weird from the side, the slope of the front of the hood doesn't flow with the rest of the body.

15. I think the trick is marrying the truck and car hoods and adding length (height)to the grille and front fenders- and keeping the proportions right

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. A '39-'40 car or '40-'41 truck front would be a better match style-wise to a jailbar pick-up cab than the '42-'48 car stuff is.