Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do I shave it it are not!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 325w, Apr 25, 2017.

1. IMG_0689.JPG Having a hard time deciding if I will shave the 150 are not. I've always liked the trunk with just the lock showing. Like the chrome bullhose as well.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like the trend today is all chrome trim is left on unless it's a total custom.. Personally I like them that way but to me this negates pinstripping if you like it. Auction houses on TV like the word "restomods" whatever the hell that means but by all means do it the way you like it if your planning on keeping it.

3. Usually, that's her call. Some women like it, some don't. That said, if you're a take charge guy and already in there... What the heck? Go for it!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Well that's damn embarrasing. I should have read the post. Not just the subject line....;)

5. ............I knew that wouldn't take too long.:D;)

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  6. Shave what you want, leave the rest.

If it were me, before I plugged the holes I would just leave the pieces off that I wanted to shave, attach the pieces that I wanted to leave (even if just temporarily),then stand back and give it a good hard look. if its looks cohesive to you leave it that way, if not mix n match bits until it does.

As for current trends, you are the one who sets trends. Build it smooth, if its cool to the beholder you will be copied. if its not well you know, right?

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if shaved, need to tunnel headlights/tail lights, real low, etc

8. Heck I wrote it and didn't catch it!!!

54vicky and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Cheap as the 150 was, maybe adding the stainless around the windshield & backlight from a 210, and some side trim would complement nosing & decking. Dropping it 6'' would be my first move ....

10. Squablow

Squablow

On my girlfriend's 51, we shaved the hood and trunk emblems (just left the lock cylinder, like you said) and we eliminated all the original side trim but added some Buick pieces for two tone. We kept the window trim and the beltline trim.

The theory was that if the piece worked with the lines of the car, it could stay, but if it was just stuck on (like the hood and trunk emblems, ect) then it came off.

If I had your car, I'd bullnose the hood and shave the trunk (but for the lock cylinder, it's more convenient to leave that) and I'd eliminate those stone guards on the rear quarters but I'd add some kind of stainless trim to the sides, like the early 50's Packard trim or something similar, just to break up those big slab sides.

lurker mick likes this.