Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Have done some more, along with more blocking . No sense posting that tedious stuff , but be assured its coming along even though I not posting much . Small project this week end , as the wife owned my ass . Not much shop time due to a room needing painted in the house . I am sure you have all been there LOL ! These few pictures are of two plates I fabbed up one I hat to make a 9/16" jog in it so it would transition from the frame to the rad support properly . I decided to weld them onto the end of the frame instead of bolting and I also welded the plates right to the radiator support . I have all new frontend parts arriving Monday or Tuesday .This will change things as the car will be a roller again .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    biggeorge and koolkemp like this.
  2. Looking good Andy! Keep plugging away!

aw1950 likes this.
  3. parklight 1.jpg So I started to mock up the grille and front bumper and noticed that I don't like the gaping hole behind the park light housing . So this is what I am going to do , simply , fill it in . Problem solved. Just more time on another detail that I think that most people wont notice but will wonder what's different . They will likely be wondering that a lot LOL especially when this gets the Mercury windshield opening installed .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    biggeorge, LONG and koolkemp like this.
  4. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

That's cool.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

5. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

biggeorge and LONG like this.
  6. I don't know about that Shane . Not sure I am on board with that. Don't know if I like the look ???

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Agreed, I didn't do it on mine either.
    Haha

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Personally I've yet to see a flipped bumper that looks better, it's nice to see some shiny stuff being bolted on Andy, looking great!

aw1950 likes this.
  9. Yea I agree even though it's just mock up . I will put the hood on tomorrow night and get a better feel of what I need to fix ! On another note I installed two new lower control arms loaded with new bushings /ball joints , new upper ball joints new bushings installed on the upper cross shafts , and two new coil springs . This thing should ride like a new car when done . Have yet to install sway bar with new bushings and new end links . Installed 10 new studs and nuts on the front hubs as well due to mismatch stud and stripped studs . So there has been progress but nothing worth taking pictures of . Later

koolkemp likes this.
  10. Actually I had thought about it months ago when figuring on the direction I was going to take . The dip would now be on the bottom and in that area would build a type of air duct to scoop more airflow into the radiator . But I thought it might be to nouveau for being a 50's inspired build . Later , Andy...

hacknwhack likes this.
  11. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I'm might be buying another 51 special 4dr in 3 days.
    Deal may still fall through. comes with triple extra everything. Let me know if you need anything.

LONG likes this.
  12. Are you planning on keeping it for a while for parts I might need some interior stuff as time goes on .

13. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Lost out on the deal. 3 hours ago.

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

hacknwhack likes this.
  15. Well damn I was starting to have a look at what I needed! That's the way it goes sometime .

hacknwhack likes this.
  16. Was able to fabricate the filler pieces and the header panel cross over . This ties in and cleans up the front for sure .

Attached Files:

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have a fog light fetish, I see a great place for a pair! Looks great Andy!

18. Fog lights ? Not for me Steve . I will think of you when I see some at yard sales now though !

koolkemp likes this.
  19. Hood gap 2.jpg Hood gap1.jpg Need opinion on the gap . I am contemplating having the hood close down over the header panel . The 1st picture shows a nice tight gap . This will be welded in and is not indicative of what the final look will be . The new leading edge of the hood will overlap the panel . Not sure if I like the look !! What say you ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  20. Hey Andy, I'm no expert on this but I think having a gap would look better than an overlap. My $.02. Loving this build!!

koolkemp and LONG like this.
  21. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I'm gonna think about it all day. ...

22. That's the way I am leaning as well Dave . In my mind it was good but once mocked up I am not so sure . It kinda looks odd ! I will let it rattle around a bit more . Lets see what Shane has to say after a day of thoughtful reflection LOL !!!

hacknwhack and Hivolt5.0 like this.
  23. koolkemp

koolkemp

I agree...and don't forget to round the corners too ! You probably don't have enough body work left to do lol!

24. Geez , stop thinking of more shit to do would ya ! Seriously though, I have thought of it but decided against as I don't want to mould everything as one piece at the front . You know the piece removed from the hood becomes part of the fender. And it goes on and on . Just more work than I want at this time .

25. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I'm thinking you should leave the gap. With the current style you have going.
    Without an upper grill bar, the lip would just stick out. Not really smoothing things out.
    If you did ad an overhanging lip, I would think it would need to be extended into the fenders.
    The other option would be to delete the gap by extending the hood all the way down to the grill opening.. then adding a quarter inch round stock bead along the upper grill shell. Creating a little shape.
    I like the ideas you have framing in the signal housings.. however the lines viewed from the sides look a little flat.
    I have a 51 upper bar that's rough and could be moulded in and painted. If you need one and decide to go that route.
    In the end it's yours do it your way..
    I'm guessing you have been looking at customised mercury grill shells.
    My 2 cents.
    Cheers Andy

26. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

27. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

20170425_115833.jpg

Extend hood into 1 piece.
    Flush with fenders.

Sorry no photoshop... big fingers little phone.

28. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I'm not sure which way the hood opens now.. probably have problems if still side to side.

29. AW1950FLEETLINE

AW1950FLEETLINE

Thanks for your thoughts change the header panel that I made basically holds the two fenders in place and yes the hood still opens left right so that long deep hood extension although looks neat is not practical . That said , I will leave a gap as I think that is the best look .

hacknwhack likes this.
  30. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Yeah.. wasn't sure if you had changed the hood hinges.
    Without that mod .it just won't work.
    Leave the gap.
    Gittter dun.

aw1950 likes this.