Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What carb is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AZguy, Apr 22, 2017.

1. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

I know this is a dumb question but I have a 50 Lincoln with the 337 flathead. What carb is this? I can see it's a Holley but I don't know which model number. Also I've heard these "teapot" carbs are crap and catch fire all the time. Is there a carb you guys would recommend switching too?

IMG_4369.JPG IMG_4370.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. I think its a holly 885.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's not a teapot, they're the ones that look like a church belltower or something. It's an 885 Holley as stated above ... and they work just great. They're so easy to clean it'll amaze you.
    Engines that catch fire don't ignite because of the carb.

AZguy and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

Awesome, thanks for the quick response as usual guys. I'm just cleaning it out right now because it's all blocked up.

Glad to hear a good opinion on one since all I found reading was about how bad they were. It's a super simple carb but if it was prone to catch fire I would find something else since my wife and son will most likely be in there with me.

6. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

Also that black spacer was under the carb, It has no gaskets so I would think I'm losing vacuum. The kit came with a gasket, should I just use the gasket and take the spacer out? I always thought a spacer worked well at higher rpm, since this engine is definitely not Revimg high any time soon I would think it's doing nothing and maybe hurting low end.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Leave it in. It helps with keeping the body of the carb from getting too hot and possibly boiling the fuel even though it is not contained low in the carb. I use them under my WCFB's for the same reason.

54vicky and AZguy like this.
  8. deucemac

deucemac

The real teapot carbs have to have the air cleaner in place to function properly. The least of the problems that you will encounter should you try to drive it without an air cleaner in place is a free firewall wash with gasoline, the worst you will have is a a weenie roast and melt down you will not likely forget for several years. Don't ask me how I know, I just do. But I did learn how to hand shovel dirt onto a fire while sitting at the side of the road at slightly slower than the speed of sound at the tender and stupid age of 16 . Within their own capabilities, both the Merc/Lincoln back feed and teapots are good, dependable carbs.

AZguy likes this.
  9. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

That's good to know. I wasn't planning on driving it without the air filter on but now I definitely won't, not even the quick drive around the block "let me see if this works" trip. I had my own experience panic shuttling cups of water and sand that I hope to never repeat.

10. carbking

carbking

Even the "teapots" are not that bad. One probably has an owner-induced issue once, and it made the news, and parrots have been quoting the story every since.

I once asked on this forum if ANYONE had PERSONALLY had a teapot cause a fire, and there were no replies.

On the other hand, I personally have had (2) two engine fires on cars I bought new from leaky Holley 4150/4160's within 9,000 miles (read, no one had messed with them since the Holley factory).

The 885 style Holley you have is a derivative of an industrial/military carburetor, and fairly well built. And parts are available mail-order. I would suggest leaving it on the car.

Jon.

AZguy likes this.
  11. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

Ok good, because I want to keep the carb and I plan on definitely keeping the flathead. I've seen plenty of stories get blown out of proportion over time, hopefully that's what's happening here.

The only time I had an engine fire was with a SBC 350 with the TBI setup.

12. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

Also this carb kit came with a float valve but the needle has a flat rubber top instead of the tapered rubber end I'm used to. Has anyone seen this type of float needle before? Or have any experience with it?

13. deucemac

deucemac

Trust me about my fire, it happened in the summer of 1965 at the corner of Boxwood Drive and Chateau Drive in San Diego just as I came upon a housing development and piles of dirt! That was 1 block south of my parents home and all I wanted to do was "quick" road test and figured I didn't need the air cleaner to go around the block. For years I would pass that spot and remember the less than fun time I spent there. So at least 1 first person account has been told. To bad my father isn't around any more because he could recall coming home from work and wondering why my car was at the end of the block. He never let me forget the fire or having to pull me home with a rope. It was not the highlight of my social season I can assure you.

14. carbking

carbking

OK, sorry about your fire. Makes a total of 1 to date.

Jon.

15. deucemac

deucemac

Trust me 1 was more than enough for me!

16. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Keep the 885 Holley carb. they work great and are not teapot carbs, those came later. these 885 carbs are very simple and work well I have one on my '51 Merc. I rebuilt the carb in 1994 right after I bought the car . still running as good now as then, with no adjustments made to it in the last 15 years. car is driven @ 3k miles per year, and stored inside when not driven.

17. I had one cause a minor fire. The 4-barrel teapots had one peculiarity; there is a straight-slot threaded brass plug/bowl drain slightly above and between the inlets for the carb secondarys. If it's not leaking, don't screw with it. But it you have reason to remove it, it's got to be TIGHT when reinstalled. And I don't mean use your biggest screwdriver that fits and give it all you have with your hands. You'll be plagued with leaks if that's all you do. No, you need a tight-fitting large screwdriver with a square shank so you can put a wrench on the shank and give that a plug a final twist until it 'squeaks' and THEN it'll be tight enough...