Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Carter WCD vs Stromberg Ww

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grey49ghost, Apr 23, 2017.

1. grey49ghost

grey49ghost

I have a few questions about carbs on my 55 Buick Special. It has a stock Carter WCD on it now and I recently received a rebuilt Stromberg WW for a 55 special. The Carter in use might need a new pump and other things but would be rebuilt.
    Which carb would be the better option for say cruisin and hopping around town in terms of ease of use and dependability?
    And is another intake needed since the bottom of that 4 hole Stromberg is a little bigger?
    Initially I would have liked to have two of the same 2bbl carbs running off a 4bbl manifold that I have laying around but...
    Thanks in advance
    Tony

2. carbking

carbking

I do not have a Buick parts book, so cannot say on the intake; HOWEVER both the 1955 Buick Special Carter WCD and the 1955 Buick Special Stromberg WW use the same manifold mounting gasket.

Both are excellent carburetors. If professionally rebuilt, either should easily run 100k miles (assuming you change both fuel and air filters at recommended intervals). Both have their advantages/disadvantages.

Other than looks (assuming you like that kind of thing), (2) two-barrels running on an adapter on a four-barrel manifold will NOT perform as well as the four-barrel, and probably not as well as a single two-barrel on a two-barrel manifold.

If you wish more information, 573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Tues central time). I don't type as well as I once did.

Jon.

302GMC likes this.
  3. grey49ghost

grey49ghost

Thanks for the info Jon.
    Without the performance benefit as you stated of running duals 2s (other than it "looking" hopped up.) I can't see spending the extra money to get less out of my engine. Maybe there will be a four barrel in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app