Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Puller fan recommendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Apr 22, 2017.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

58 GMC 1/2ton truck with GMC302 engine; mild build with 3/4cam, 9:1 compression, Clifford Intake& matching Headers, HEI ignition; stock radiator
    Thinking a electric puller fan would cool the truck better than stock fan?

Thanks 4 input

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frees up some horsepower if you need it. I would use it with a temperature activated switch.

Not knowing how you plumbed your engine, but your 302 cylinder head should have two 1/2" pipe plugs on the top near the rear. Many use the rear one for their temp gauge but that's wrong on a 302. There was a 90* fitting and it lead up to the thermostat housing on the left side where there should be another 90* fitting and a line between them. The next one farther forward is used for the temp gauge. The line I mentioned keeps the rear cylinders cooler and helps wth the total engine cooling. Most folks never see a 302 in its natural engine compartment in a large truck. On my avatar you can see a AN -8 line coming off that fitting, It goes to the water tank in the back a long with an AN line from the original thermostat housing. I use an electric pump on this engine.

I use a 14" pull thru fan on my 40 Chevrolet. There is also not much room with the longer engine and I've seen electric fans which do not have the motor in the center and you my need that type. Good Luck.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

If you have the room, I'd go with a steel six blade engine driven fan. If you decide to go with an electric, the only one to use is a Spal. They don't use them on Ferraris for nothing.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Just Gary likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Go to the junk yard and get one from a mid 90's Ford Taurus. They'll suck the chrome off the bumper of the car in front of you! Google it and see.

bob b. and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.

5. primed34

primed34

Six blade mechanical.

Just Gary likes this.
  6. swifty

swifty

I'll second Gmans vote for Spal. I run a 14" Spal pusher on my 32 coupe and it is excellent. If you are short on room for a puller type due to the length of the 302 then you could use the pusher . Spal come in 3 versions, low, medium and high output and the length of the unit is governed by the output. Check outtheir website.

7. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

8. This is the HAMB. Put a heavy duty mechanical fan on it.
    If that doesn't work, then (and only then) start considering street rod parts.:rolleyes:

32 4door, dtwbcs and Gman0046 like this.
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just Gary X2.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fix the plumbing first, right now with your gauge feeding from the last plug is sensing the hottest spot on the cylinder head. Think about it; there's only one hole in the water pump to the block( not like the Chev 6, it has 2) and has to get all the water to the rear of the block, up to the head, and back to the front. You need this stock line water return line on these larger GMC's; I've been running these since 1961 and racing them since 1975. If your cylinder head was ever cut it may not have its brass water flow deflectors which aimed the water from the block to the exhaust valve water jacket area. If these are missing you need to get this hottest water away from the rear of the head. Why do you think there were so many cracked GMC heads. GMC engineers were a hell of a lot smarter than we hot rodders when it comes to building these engines to pull 2-1/2 ton truck, trash trucks, etc. we just put them in lighter vehicles and got away with a lot. Good Luck.

dtwbcs likes this.
  12. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

full fan shroud for whatever fan that you decide on - install new mechanical temp gauge - replace thermostat & coolant if has not been done in recent past

14. 17 1/2" steel fan from summit works great on the '32 in my avatar . HRP

[​IMG]

Just Gary likes this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^ + ear plugs

16. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

If you go with an electric fan surplus center has fans that are supposed to be used on Ferrari cars, dont know if they are Spal. 16 inch puller, 2469 cfm, 12vdc, $150.00

dtwbcs likes this.
  17. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ok I ended up drilling& tapping that rear hole. going to run a line from it to the side of the thermostat housing. Temp sender in center of head now.:cool:Still am going with a puller fan tho