Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects School me guys. . . .'29 Nash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NielsK, Apr 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

It goes like this:
    has been looking for a old frame and some axels to build me a T.R.O.G. car.
    Here in Denmark we race on the beach of "Romo". Check out: www.romomotorfestival.dk
    To comply with rules, I need parts older than 1947.
    Yesterday the phone rang and a guy told me he was going to part out a 1929 Nash.
    Only info he had was: "Wodden spokes, big and . . . dusty".
    He wanted to do a frameswap, so I would be looking at a complete frame with radiator, hood and front fenders as he only wants the body and rear fenders.

Price is right, and I'll take a trip soon to check it out.
    But what will I find??
    So far I googled: Flat six, 65 hp, 3 speed gearbox and some dimensions like wheelbase and so on.
    Questions are:
    Gearbox: Synchromesh or "crash box"?
    Drivline: Open or torque tube?
    Anyone want to fill me in ??
    NielsK

2. Is that the chassis on PreWarCar ? Twin ignition with 12 sparkplugs is cool. I think that chassis may also have it,s own built in chassis lubricating system , more cool. Hydraulic brakes as well.

3. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Naaahh sorry to say it's not.
    Had a chance for buying one like that 5 years ago, but didn't have any use for it then :-(
    This one is in a barn here in Denmark and is a sidevalve six and mechanical brakes.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Nash was a large medium priced car similar to Buick, not surprising since Charles Nash ran Buick before he went out on his own. Nash's most expensive models were OHV six and straight eight cars like Buick. Smaller models had sidevalve engines. The smaller models were made to sell in the low priced field against Ford, Chevrolet and Essex but with a little extra quality.

If it has wooden wheels and mechanical brakes it almost certainly has a non synchromesh transmission. This does not make much difference if you know how to drive. The old slow revving cars shifted easily if you took your time. If you know how to double clutch it will shift much faster.

If it is a flathead six it must be the Standard Six model, the smallest Nash. It had a 184 cu in 50HP engine - but with 7 main bearings, very unusual on a cheap car. The Special Six and Advanced Six had overhead valve engines.

I don't know of anyone hopping up a 1929 Nash but I guess beggars can't be choosers especially in Denmark.

Photograph and measure the firewall and cowl carefully. You may want to duplicate it. If it was mine I would be thinking of building something like this with a simple speedster body full fenders and road equipment. Notice how simple these cars are, not even opening doors.

Another possibility is a boat tail speedster body like the Essex, a very similar car to the small Nash.

http://www.rmsothebys.com/hf12/hershey/lots/1929-essex-the-challenger-boattail-speedabout/1054698

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    bct likes this.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

6. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Thanks for info. Idea was something similar to the Packard. I'll go through the engine and shave the head, have the cam reground. Lighten the flywheel and fab up a dual manifold and headers.
    That'll have to do the trick. If engine is no good, I'll use a Chrysler 251 industrial instead

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

One thing that would really add to the sporty look would be wire wheels. I wonder if it would be possible to adapt some kind of European wire wheels?

You might also consider a fabric covered body. They were popular for sports cars and performance cars in the 20s and 30s. The LeMans winning Bentleys of the late 20s had fabric bodies.

Make a wooden frame as shown in the Packard video, cover it with slats or wire mesh then cotton padding, muslin, and finally waterproof fabric. Either the kind you use for vinyl tops, or the artificial leather or vinyl used for boat upholstery. You can still get the Fabrikoid material they used in the 20s but it comes from India.

This would be the easy way to make a sports car or racing body and it is period authentic.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The AACA Forum is the place to ask for information about a 1929 Nash.

AACA Forums

By the way - it is possible that the engine is a Continental or other make. I have no idea if it is Nash's own make but I do know many American car makers brought out smaller, lower priced cars about that time and many of them used engines bought from outside suppliers.

10. b-bob

b-bob

A 29 Nash i had thirty years ago. Bought as a mint stock car, used in Easter parades. Replaced all the running gear with Chevy parts and made a great highway car. Needed nothing for body work, just sanded it and painted it, only had 25,500 miles on it. On Vancouver Island now i believe.

Attached Files:

11. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Yeah I been looking at some rusty wire wheels from a Jaguar. 15 " would be ok with diagonals on. I'd been thinking aluminum. Haven't worked with that yet. But must say that your idea are rather nice.

12. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Thanks I'll check it out. I'll post some pics later this week when I've checked it out.
    No idea about the engine. But Nash did make a 6 I flathead at the time.

13. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Nice car. Like the Black / Red combo.
    Do you remember if the Nash were open or closed driveshaft?

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Google is still your friend. But if you can get somebody else to look for you, go for it. I understand they didn't go to synchromesh for a few years more. Chassis-620x465.jpg

15. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Fantastic. I did a picture search. But I must have missed this one. Now I even more excited
    Thanks for making a slow sunday afternoon better.