Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hiwayman NEEDS a Y-Block!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-bangertim, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Merc sounds good! I know about about the "issues" with strong willed canines. We have FIVE dogs, 4 Chihuahua's, and a Siberian Husky, an 85 pound dog that thinks he's a Chihuahua. ANYTIME I move him, from front to back yard, garage to kennel, car to Vets, etc, I have to have a lease on him. If I don't, and he realizes he's loose, he's off like a rocket, and no amount of coaxing will bring him back. It's a game with him, "ketch me if you can!". He'll let you get close, then bolt in another direction. He will run, and explore until HE gets tired, then he'll come to you, or head back home. I have to treat him like a high risk, violet, prison inmate, with lease transfers and such. He's actually my daughter's dog, but she won't let us rehome him, and she's been gone from home 5 years now! It's getting to the point where he has to go to a new home, where he can run and explore, and stay out of trouble; like on a farm somewhere.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I don't think I have EVER seen a dog that wouldn't chase a squirrel. So Thomas, don't be too hard on Sadie!
    But 56 S D, a dog like that Husky doesn't belong where he can't run and romp and get exercise, but it's going to be really difficult to get him acclimated to a new home if it means new people around him also.

3. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

And they RUN away from the farm also... 3 have so far...

5. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thomas Weller
    11 hrs ·
    There is NO joy in Mudville toDAY [​IMG]:( baseball reference for those who don't know

How I spent my Easter morning

From a nightmare awoken this mornin --
    [ premonition?]

I headed out to the swap meet -- rounding the curve from WB I-8 to NB 67 I heard a unusual noise from the new [ just installed ] engine [​IMG]:O -- got worse quickly [​IMG]:O [​IMG]:( kept going to where I knew
    [ from MANY past rescues *I've* performed for others ] there was a paved, WAY off to the side, turn out -- that would be safer for me to be IN -- while waiting for a tow -- [ turned OFF all my lights so as to NOT attract attention ] had the hood up tryin to determine the *cause* of the knocking noise --

Fella walks up behind me to inquire if I needed help -- STARTLED me [​IMG]:O [ now I know how folks might feel when I've arrived to help them out of the blue ] -- asked if there was anything he could do to help me -- it's *just* at that time that I noticed I'd forgotten my cell phone --

lent me his phone, and showed me how to use it [ onea them fancy phones [​IMG];) ] to call my wife and a tow

Thank YOU Frank! for yer kindness and time spent to help!

This here's gonna be a looong story, and I'm kinda discombobulated just now -- so I'll continue later [​IMG]:(

After losin my Shela in February -- survivin the stroke in March -- and all the weeks of work to install the new engine [​IMG]:( I can't DO this again -- .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

:(. :(
    Man what bad luck Thomas.
    I sure hope it's the top end. Keep your head up. You're a survivor.

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thomas, we'll all be waiting anxiously for news on the problem. I listened to the rattle sound and at least in the video, it doesn't sound like a bottom end noise like a bearing going out, more like something coming loose. Where do you think the noise is, as to location on the engine assembly?

8. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Sorry to hear this. Hoping it is something simple or easy fix.

9. Possibly a lifter by the sound that I think I hear. I'd sure be putting a screwdriver or broom handle on those valve covers.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  10. Knock knock who's there? Spun rod bearing? broken rod bolt? Bent push rod? I had a engine that sounded like that. The hard valve seat came loose. and the valve was making contact with the piston.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wish I was closer, (and able to come down) Thomas... Hopefully, it's on ONE side, at the 'top'.
    As BurnOut Bob says, a short 'broomstick', or plunger handle between your good ear and the valve cover should locate the area of the noise.
    God help us all, you find it and it's not too serious. We are all pitching for you!

12. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Hopefully it will be fixed for him, you know the whole HAMB is watching, how much has it run 1 hr or 3? Have you called McTim?

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There has got to be a high school, Junior/Community college auto tech, or even a private auto tech school that could help out. Maybe even a car club; there has got to be someone willing to help out. Any idea what may have happened Tom? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. I drive two old 66 GMC trucks as my daily drivers. And I am continually fixing something. I have that pair so when one fails I have the other for backup. However they cant effectively stand the rigors of modern day traffic like the newer vehicles. If I wasnt able to fix them myself and didn't have extra parts trucks I couldn't use them. When we go someplace we take my wifes vehicle. Its a Jeep Cherokee. It has all the bells and whistles. The fuel injected inline six engine has plenty of power and runs great on crappy gas. It can haul a load and pull a trailer if necessary. And it has 200,000 miles. Nothing major just regular oil & filter changes. Ive never even changed the spark plugs. Ive replaced the disk brake pads and rear axle bearings and tires. Flushd the cooling system. Unless that 55 body is mounted on a later model chassis it isn't ever going to be reliable ,dependable or viable. My advice sell the old cars and use that money to buy something better.

15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

^ and for me...My thought s would have been to MODERNIZE.

Old wolf likes this.
  16. I just saw this. Thomas, give me a call.

SanDiegoHighwayman and Blue One like this.
  17. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

[​IMG]
    Bruce Fischerto Thomas Weller
    3 hrs ·
    Thomas, any word from Tim what might be wrong with the mercs motor?

Thomas Weller
    Bruce, I had turned off my computer Sunday after postin the vids of my Easter discouragement - misadventure . Been workin on my garden wall project since, to take my mind off it [ a project looooong on my back burner ] necessary to bring my spirits back by successful completion of same -- didn't turn it back on till Tuesday [ the computer ] -- Tim has called -- concerned -- I have full confidence in HIM and his work! As I know, from experience, in *my* lifetime's working AND "Playing on the Freeway" -- SOMEtimes, one can do everything RIGHT, and WELL, and *still* have things "go south" for NO fault of one's own --- I'll keep ya posted -- gonna finish my garden wall --- likely by the end of this week -- I'm a lot slower then I usta be ----- thankee kindly fer yer concern pardner

edit -- and all you fellas here on the Hamb who care, thank *YOU* kindly too

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Sorry to hear about the engine.Here`s hoping that you are back on the road again soon.Go easy with the wall rebuild.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm thinking that Tim will do his best to help you figure this out and get it sorted out.

I have faith in him.

Please don't give up and keep us informed on what happens.

Larry.

20. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

in the meantime, here's some old stories, that I kin look back on and smile about :)

Went out this mornin to the bank and ta git my ears lowered by my fav barber.

Going WB on the I-8, I see a Mustang in the CD with a CHP behind it and figure “someone’s gittin a ticket.”

Coming back, I see a tow @ the Mustang and think ?? as I continue on my way.

Anyways — it’s a bit later morning now and and I’m agittin ready to go out to “play” fer a while on the freeway — I come over the rise WB agin, and there’s the Mustang — STILL there — someone small sittin on the passenger side — so I light up and pull off in front of it — back up to it and investigate.

Little girl’s been cryin.

She’s had a tread delamination blowout on her LR tire and the remaining tread, flailing around the wheel well had damaged the body as well.

CHP had stopped to help her and had requested a tow to change out the tire for her “courtesy” as she had no HE [help enroute], no funds to pay, and no one local to assist her.

Tow driver had done as requested and left but didn’t notice she couldn’t leave.

She said to me that the car “wouldn’t move” after the tire was changed.

I immediately suspected that the spare wasn’t correct and was jammed on the brake caliper. [ Seen that before. ] So, without further ado, I removed her blown tire from the trunk and told her I’d return with a good one for her in about 20 min.

She protested that she couldn’t pay. I assured her that that wasn’t an issue as I gave her my card and explained my reason for being there.

Now I’m sizing up her situation as I’m talking with her, and it looks to me like she’s got everything she owns packed into that car. I’m guessing she’s been having a REALLY bad day [or more]

Sooooo …

I got a tire of the same size from my stock I keep for these kinda situations, mounted it up on her wheel, and took it back to her on the freeway.

Took the spare off, installed the good tire, and tried to move the car.

Which wouldn’t start.

She’s looking pretty sad just now.

She had said it wouldn’t “move.”

It comes to me from past experience that the Mustang [ and other Ford vehicles ] have a “rollover” cutoff switch for the fuel pump located in the trunk on the LR wheel well. So, when the LR tire blows in this fashion it often trips that switch with the flailing of the tread against the body metal.

I locate the switch, press the button, and try to start it again…ROOOORHMMMMMM

The look on her face made my day!

Reason I didn’t *think* of that switch first? She REALLY needed a tire to continue her journey safely…the other 3 were okay…

21. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

IMG_2022.JPG IMG_2023.JPG IMG_2033.JPG IMG_2034.JPG IMG_2042.JPG IMG_2044.JPG IMG_2070.JPG IMG_2071.JPG IMG_2073.JPG IMG_2074.JPG IMG_2079.JPG IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2022.JPG IMG_2023.JPG IMG_2033.JPG IMG_2034.JPG IMG_2042.JPG IMG_2044.JPG

It's been a loooooong rigorous week!! but, the final result is mighty satisfyin:cool: -- pics aren't in order of doin, but, I'm TOO tuckered to sort em out -- gonna go crash now o_O toMORROW, Sadie gits to GO to the dogpark! :D She's been REAL patient with me :cool:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    41 coupe likes this.
  22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Most of last summer I was going English Ivy abatement on the back of our property; there's a 20 foot drainage easement there (basically a ditch). I had prepared the area when we bought the house in 87, had landscape timbers and gravel in the bottom of the ditch, rototilled and raked it out, and was going to plant native plants, such as Salal Brush on both banks. Came home from work one day, and the neighbor behind had planted hundreds of Ivy sprigs. He came out hollerin, and cussin', telling me there was nothing I could do about it, it was an easement, and he did't want his back yard to "wash away". I just said, "whatever", did't want to p*ss off the neighbor, but had't really planned on being here for 30 years also. Course the Ivy has gone NUTS, and was getting out of control. Neighbor's gone 4 house sales back, fence was built 2 years after the Ivy went in, and the City does't help out, even though it's "their" easement. So, I feel for you doing that sort of work; mine was 85 feet long, and took over another area to boot. I used to enjoy doing yard-work, it was "therapeutic"; now it's just work, lots of work! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I'll bet the Misses is right proud of you! ;)

24. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Please tell us what Tim said about the engine?

Blue One likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, please fill us in.

26. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Tim said he would be coming down to fix it --

Hotrod1959 and Blue One like this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One