Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Studebaker Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by triffid_98, Jan 10, 2011.

1. triffid_98

triffid_98
    from San Jose

This car finally showed up on Friday. At this point (4 months later!) I was surprised that it showed up at all, but I'm happy to see it. Apparently I bought a car in the middle of nowhere.

Per my initial inspection, a couple things surprised me.

1) it actually has an IFS. I was ignorant and thought I needed an M2 suspension to get that.

2) the trim on this car is trashed. I mean, it's there, but it's got pits all over the place, ditto for the top (dented badly).. Apparently this is why people post cars on eBay.

Still, no complaints, the only local car I could find was missing tons of unobtainium trim and this only cost $1500. Does anyone have some glass or door handles (interior) I can buy? How about a non-broken 6 cylinder hood emblem?

Also, I've got 1 windshield, 1 cracked door window , 1 corner window + trim and 1 coupe rear post window. Fortunately replacement window glass is still available.

After a lot of penetrating oil I've got the the transmission shifting and the plugs out. Still no idea what is trashed in the stock drive-train, I don't have a socket to turn the engine with, that thing is huge (1.5"?)

2. greaseman

greaseman
    from michigan

gee willikers batman, great looking car

3. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Very cool find - nice shape and just about
    unlimited potential to build it any way
    you want! For a driver, If it were mine,
    I'd probably use a 250 or 289 Stude V8
    with a mild cam and a newer 4bbl carb
    on a factory intake...or maybe, just for
    fun, keep the little flathead 6.....but
    it and stick a T5 5spd. behind it! But
    if ya' have to go and do it and end up
    putting SBC in it....*at least* get
    some original (or now, available in
    reproduction, I think) "283 Studebaker
    Thunderbolt
    " valve cover decals from
    a '65 or '66 Stude to stick on it! 'Back in
    the day- circa -70's, when these valve
    covers with nice intact decals. were
    common in the boneyards, a high school
    buddy of mine put a pair of Stude "283
    Thunderbolt
    " valve covers on the built
    SBC in his '61 Canadian Pontiac- just to
    screw with peoples' minds and keep
    them wondering what the hell he had
    under the hood!:D

Mart3406
    ==============

4. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------------------
    IFS was standard on Studes since the
    mid to late '30's Studebaker used the
    same basic IFS layout right up to the
    end, even to the very last Studebakers
    in 1966. One noteworthy thing about the
    Stude IFS is that it uses actual king-pins
    rather than ball joints.

Mart3406
    ==================

5. triffid_98

triffid_98
    from San Jose

Like I said, I was ignorant. I'm so used to seeing old Studes with M2 IFS I assumed that's the only way I'd get it.

Hell, my 65' Dodge doesn't have IFS and it's 12 years newer. It's a perfectly nice truck with all the options they offered that year, just no IFS. I guess that wasn't something trucks had until the 70's.

Anyway, I've had the car apart now.

Unfortunately there's a lot more rust than I'd originally hoped for. The frame rails are solid but the front fenders, hood and roof all need a lot of work (ignoring all the chrome/stainless, some of which I'll paint. The front and rear trim is in good shape but the bumpers and pot-metal side trim will need re-chroming for sure)

It was also missing several non-repro parts (drivers vent window, interior door handles) but I've managed to secure replacements thanks to the kind folks at the drivers-forum. It's still missing a few interior bits but I'm not concerned about that. It's all easy enough to replace if you don't care about having an original restoration.

Given the body situation I looked to see if the original drive-train could be retained, and after a fair amount of persuasion/torch-work the original flat-head 6 is basically sound. Ditto for the electrics (generator/starter/distributor) after a bit of oiling and contact work.

Now I'm about to tear apart the DG-150 transmission and hope for the best. They're a bit finicky so it's kind of a crap-shoot, but the engine went back together pretty easy so we'll see how it goes. I still need to pull the tank and replace the hard lines/brakes, but that will all keep until this other stuff is working.

I won't say that I won't mess with the drive-train (the whole reason I wanted this was to have a nice car that I could play with. California won't let you touch anything post '75 without major league headaches) but if I can get it running with what it has I can tinker with that later. Maybe a 5.3/6.0 swap so I can make it a really fun daily driver.

I was never intending to make this a show car, just something sporty and different than the standard Camaro/Mustang/Chevelle that everyone chooses to resto-mod.

-David

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  6. rusty bill

rusty bill

You should go to the SDC Forum. Lots of good info there specific to your car.
    I am doing two c/K cars myself.
    Brian Woods
    SDC avitar is WOODYSRODS
    OR E-MAIL me @ [email protected]

7. Iron Crank

Iron Crank

Good to know. Mine was a sad 6 cyl. Champion, built in Ca. and rusted a bit in Ore. A rebuilt '56 259 ci (plus whatever .030" bore adds) v8 studie resides there now. Very mild, but good to know.

BTY, I have an S10 T5 behind it, thanks be to Bob Bendtsen of Bendtsen Transmissions in Ham Lake, Mn. It's not on the road yet, but I'm pretty jazzed about the cruising potential, if that means anything. :)

Many Thanks.

8. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Not sure where the picture was taken but that is Merv Adkins old Stude. We had for sale here on the HAMB forever. Glad to see he finally got a buyer. I had a 54 that I miss dearly. I've got a guy in town with a 55 in his back yard for the last 12 years now that he swears he's going to restore one day. I'm keeping my eye on it just in case.

9. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Any updates on this one?

10. Another SBC conversion? Ho hum~! A Chevy power plant saves 75 lbs over the Stude ( Stude 650 lbs vs. Chevy 575 lbs). You can have massive torque and still save 50 lbs up front by using a Buick 430cu in to 455 Buick (wt 600 lbs.). The difference in torque can blow the tires off your car (350 Chevy with 370 ft lbs vs. 455 Buick with 510 ft lbs)