Register now to get rid of these ads!

What has been your best Swap Meet Purchase?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aldixie, Sep 12, 2010.

1. southerncad

southerncad

Gotta' be the 3 x 2 Pontiac set up I bought at a swap meet for $15.00, the lady said if I wanted more info about it her husband would be back in about 30 minutes...Ahh, naw, don't need any more info, gotta' go!

swade41, mgtstumpy and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Picked up a rebuilt Ford 4 speed top loader(not a 3+1) for $250....

3. laidbackluis

laidbackluis
    from Sachse Tx

37' zephyr grill. Great condition. For what I paid, I'm sure the guy didnt know what it was for. Ended up selling it to a fella in Atlanta that's building one.

4. Gabby

Gabby

Not a swap meet but my son picked up a Grancor intake and heads for a flathead for $200

Matt@Eastwood likes this.
  5. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

A set of electroline headlights for a whopping $15 he was asking $20 ,at another swap I found a single E & J light for $40 but it seems like those days are gone at least around here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. Drylake

Drylake

[​IMG]picked up these caps. Asked the fella how much each, he said $2...There were 16, i paid $30 for the lot.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. alchemy

alchemy

It's been a couple years since my last post. I found a rusty '32 25-louver hood for $150, then sold it on eBay for over a $1,000. Then a few years later I found a really nice one at a different swap for $250 and sold it in the HAMB classifieds for around $1,500 (IIRC). Last year I met a friend at a swap and he sold me a pristine 32 front axle/wishbone/perches/spindles assembly for $300. This year he had another axle for me for $150. I was happy.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went to the Portland Swap Meet a couple weekends ago, walked the PIR racetrack too, all I got was a breakfast burrito and a few cans of Modelo.

Early Ironman likes this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Not car related but I bought a pristine Pabst Blue Ribbon freezer jacket from the mid-60's for $15 a few years back.

10. I have been looking for years for 1939 to 1946 Chevy truck rear fenders. Two years ago I found the hardest one of all to find, an almost perfect "right side" rear fender for 1939 Chevy trucks for $5 bucks. That fender sells on Ebay for around $600. when they show up. 1939 was one year only.
    Than last year I found a real nice pair of 1940 to 46 Chevy truck fenders at the same swap meet for $100 total, they sell all day on Ebay for $400 each in this condition./// What a score...
    That was the Grants Pass, OR. swap meet. I can hardly Waite to see what I will find this year...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  11. squirrel

squirrel

two corvette Transistor Ignition distributors for $10 each....

12. George G

George G

At the Pomona swap meet in '81 I picked up that same set up for $25.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

uncle buck likes this.
  13. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

I bought a Ford top loader 4 speed out of a '70 428 SCJ Cougar Eliminator for $150....best deal for me ever.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  14. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

15. j3harleys

j3harleys

409 original chrome dripper's valve covers $10. I needed them, They were on the table with a big crowed around, I walked up and put my hands on both of them flipped one up and back real it real quick, The guy behind me ask are they, I said yes. Guy wanted $15 I offed $10 he took . He thought they 348 covers, When I told him what they were He wasn't upset but another guy said I ripped him off, You need to know what you are buying or selling.

16. slowmotion

slowmotion

An Edelbrock CB-3 painted orange-$20
    A pair of ET Supers, 15X7 uni, one drilled for slick-$1 for the pair
    L-79 chrome dual snorkel air cleaner, unobtainium pre-reproduction, bought $20, sold obscene money.

17. My best swap meet find was a NOS Mallory Mini Mag for Olds 303/324. Bought it for $100. Wish I had kept it.

Best non-swap meet find was a complete 32 front end. Heavy axle, wishbone, spindles, backing plates, drums, tierod and spring perches for $50.

uncle buck likes this.
  18. 3 years ago , two Bugatti :eek: dashboard switches in a box of dirty model A parts that i didn,t really need.

19. blackout78666

blackout78666

Complete 301 halibrand QC from KO's pressure plates , birdcages , perfect case and live axle. Asked the guy how much." Thirty five" damn 3500 for a rearend. 350 is what he meant. It's waiting it's turn
    IMG_6356.JPG

20. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Hurst Competition Plus shifter for $5, that was in the 70's, I had to pay the local salvage yard $5 a piece for three shifter rods so I could install it using my own fabricated mount, I am still using that same shifter:)

21. Fordors

Fordors

Brand new Casler headers for early Corvette, $15.00, made to order for my '32 Fordor with Mustang steering.
    Mallory dual point for early Olds, like new with two piece cap, but no rotor- free. Got it from a friend's brother in law at a swap, nobody looked at it so he gave it to me. Bought the last Echlin MA6 rotor in the warehouse and got $155 for it.

22. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Got this at the Cars of the Stars swap meet in 1972 and I wasn't even there. Saw the article in Street Rodder and sent a letter to Neal East c/o the magazine. He handled the purchase and arranged to store it in a garage Jack "Fat Boy" (and "Mr 32") Stewart rented until I drove out and towed it back to South Carolina at Christmas time.

[​IMG]

Ricky Simeone was member of a prestigious SoCal car club and his wife wanted the car out of the driveway because the house was up for sale. Nice surprise when I picked it up. Has a 331 Caddy with Hydro and a Columbia 2 speed rear end. It's been mothballed all these years but will share garage space with the Fred Cain HAMBer stored 40 coupe. Swiped the image from Stanlow69. Thanks! lucas

23. At the Englishtown swap meet I saw a 1932 ford Pines Winterfront hanging on the fence at a vendor's location. I asked about it, and he said that he didn't know what it was, as he got it when he cleaned out a garage. I asked the price, he said $ 50.00, so I paid the price. I later sold it on E-bay for $ 3252.32. the buyer was happy, and so was I. Some people told me it was worth about $ 6000, I said then why didn't you buy it and resell it, no answer.

scruff likes this.
  24. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Found the intake on my coupe NOS for $100 The valve covers for $50 NOS Eelco carb linkage for $5 (for the box) image1 (1).PNG

jbon64 likes this.
  25. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Picked up this pre war banger manifold, offenhauser 4brl adap for 2 twos and Western Racing Equipment unknown breather last week all 3 $25 image2.JPG

drylakespeedshop likes this.
  26. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

[​IMG]

The Becker Europa II AM/FM stereo with amp in my Healey. Guy wanted $20 and since I had been taught to always ask less, I offered $10. He said he'd rather smash it on the ground for that. I gave him the $20. It's probably worth $500 or more now.

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Bare "Bowtie" ex sprint car block w/steel main caps (4.125 bore x 350mains) for $50 / Halibrand 3" open QC shifter rear, wingnut to wingnut(including hubs, birdcages & torquetube) , on an engine stand for $250. Sure, there have been times I've gotten burned badly, but all in all, swap meets have been "good" to me!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  28. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Not at a swap meet but..
    Got a call about an unfinished 1930 four door model A. Nephew was selling for his Aunt as her husband had passed away. After much back and forth, I agreed on a price (I really didn't need or want the car, but ..) and had my buddies @skipskip @vince76 go and pick up for me as I had to work. Price was OK I thought until they called on way home. The guy had stated a few extra parts. Turned out to be full pick up truck full, plus they filled the car body too ! Wow!!
    After 2 days of digging thru the parts, in the car body (no interior in body) I found a mint 1932 hood marked model A !!! Sold all but the hood, and doubled my money. That is my favorite 32 hood in the garage.

29. cavman

cavman

I got up early one Sunday morning about 20 years ago and drove about 100 miles to a swap meet I was told was a real good one. I get there and the sign at the gate said "Mopar Only". Not that I have anything against them but it had been years since I owned one, and didn't need Mopar parts. But, what the hell, I went in anyway. Everyone seemed to know one another and the part selection was pretty slim pickin's. Time to leave, and as I was walking out I spotted an old trans painted Chevy orange so I asked about it. The guy said he got it from a buddy and it wouldn't bolt up to his bell housing . I asked about price, he said "40 bucks"...... 1959 Chevy Borg-Warner with short handle Hurst shifter. Looked new inside. I still have it somewhere around here, so It didn't make me rich.

scruff likes this.
  30. Drylake

Drylake

[​IMG]This is my best buy! Advertised as a "1920 forc" paid $1,000. Got offered $15,000 on the way home! It's a keeper!

Sent from my SM-N910G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Durbinspeedshop likes this.