Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Checking an old (short) VIN number to see if it is on HOT Sheet ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beaulieu, Apr 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

Hi

If you go to Carfax or most of the other VIN check websites they ask for a 17 digit VIN

But how do you check an early VIN that only has 6 digits ?

I am mostly interested in OLD info , just to check if it was stolen 30 or 40 years ago ,

It seems like US Customs has a old list as they are often on TV after recovering an old Mustang stolen in the 1970s , which had a current title !

The few websites I have gone to say no record , and I am not sure if that means no record of it being stolen or no record of the VIN number because its too short ,

ANY IDEAS ?

Thanks for your help

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Call your local sheriff's Dept. We have an auto theft task force here that all of the local PDs participate in. They have access to records from way back. I had a car in my shop that a customer bought from a wrecking yard... 77 MGB, or do he thought. Turns out it was a 79 that had been stolen in 1983 in Pa!! All turned out ok but ended up with bonded title. The police will probably want the location of it if is stolen.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Find a local DVM Privateer (they are all over So Cal), and ask them to run the vin, they will tell you if it is in the system, stolen or what ever. And they are not the GOVERNMENT. If it is in the system they usually will not tell you who the current title owner is. But this will get you going in the right direction. And slip them a $20.00 (at least).

4. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

and that is what I am scared about , something 30 years ago popping up after I have bought it,
    So just trying to protect myself ,

For that MGB it worked out for you , probably because it was worth a few hundred bucks ,
    but lets say it was a 1960s Cobra , and stolen in the 70s across the country before computers ......
    I am sure it would not work out as easy !

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

The stolen car data base they check for stolen cars on is at least all across the USA and goes back to the 30s. If there was a lean on the title, that will show up as well. If nothing shows up, your good.
    I have a police officer friend that ran the last set of numbers through the system on 3 different occasions to be sure it was clean. No issues. Gene

6. if the numbers are run and it's been reported stolen expect a knock on the door!

7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Website is NICB.ORG ......you punch in your vin and if it was ever reported stolen...itll pop up...

8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

If you think it could of been stolen, wouldnt you check before buying?

9. You'd think that's the way it should go.

10. trad27

trad27

. Not necessarily, I have picked up many bare model A frames when I seen them for cheap and never worried about the vin number being good till came time to build on them. But I also knew from the beginning that was a possibility and was prepared to just use it for cross members if need be.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

VIN not in use until 1954

12. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

"Website is NICB.ORG ......you punch in your vin and if it was ever reported stolen...itll pop up..."

I tried that with a known BAD Vin number from my friends car that was stolen 2years ago , plus it had insurance that was paid off ,
    YES it popped up as stolen on NICB.org , but I also think that was because it was only 2 years ago and the insurance payoff ,

I need to try it on a known BAD Vin that was stolen 20 plus years ago , if you have that try it and report back please ,
    But here is the BAD news , I tried the known BAD Vin ( stolen 2 yrs ago ) on a couple other Websites and it said ;"No record"

If anyone has contacts for the master list "The stolen car data base they check for stolen cars on is at least all across the USA and goes back to the 30s." and can run a number please send me a message :)

Thanks for all your ideas

13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Me too please. Thanks Gary

14. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Have the numbers run at a police station! If you are holding a valuable car that you think was stolen you are as bad as the guy that stole it. I know it sucks but how would you feel if it was your ride or worse yet some finds you have it and the 5.0 get ahold of this to prove you held and hid stolen property.

15. Try the cop shop. They are kind of in charge of keeping track of stolen vehicles.

if it was stolen before the time of electronic filing you may be SOL.

16. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

I have not bought the car yet , I am just trying to protect myself from buying something stolen ,

and if I ask California DMV and its clear that does not mean its OK in the other 49 states going back 50 years.

that is why the data base that goes back to the 30s. is interesting

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE DATABASE ????

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017