Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dragmaster Dragster Found Hanging On A Wall.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1947knuck, Mar 30, 2017.

1. 1947knuck

1947knuck

A good friend of ours, James Gipson has been a machine shop owner and high performance engine builder in Amarillo for years. He's in his early 80's and still healthy and active in engine building. James is the person I got the early 283 engine Dode used to build our engine. James is one of the driving forces behind Amarillo Motorsports Hall of Fame. He ask if he could borrow our car for a display at this years ceremony. We finished it on a Friday and that Saturday morning it was loaded on a trailer for it's first public viewing. When it was loaded I told my boys that 57 years ago this dragster was new and probably being loaded for it's first race, imagine the excitement for the owner back then and here it is on a trailer back together again. IMG_2226.JPG IMG_2225.JPG

2. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

Really just an awesome build. Beautiful FED!

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  3. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Our car was displayed in the center entrance to greet everyone. There were some nice cars there and it was nice to ask to attend. These pictures were taken by the photographer for the event. The #185 car next to the wall is a complete original Bonneville car that held a record back in the day. The second picture shows the Don Hardy restored Dick Harrell, Yenko Super Camaro. The last picture is a car we thought was real cool, the guys are from Dallas and they restore old sprint cars. 17390701_1304338856312577_6162349414008090556_o.jpg 17436200_1304339066312556_3558533333556571604_o.jpg 17311090_1304338609645935_2598728242417797004_o.jpg 17240320_1304338446312618_6358587657591030167_o.jpg

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now you need a era correct trailer, here is one built by Ken Crawford (Kenz Muffler). Kenz Muffler trailer.jpg

curbspeed, Vic Walter, winr and 26 others like this.
  5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

awesome trailer! That would really show off the Dragmaster

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  6. 1947knuck

1947knuck

We've just started looking at pictures of old dragster trailers to get an idea for building one. I googled Kenz Muffler and it led me back here to a thread "Old Time Dragster Trailers". I like Ken's trailer, the car backs into it, no floor, snug around the front tires, it's a nice fit for the vintage look. I wonder what became of that trailer, would be nice to find it if it was out there somewhere.

Spoggie, TBirdGirl26, loner2 and 10 others like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The nice thing is, any reputable muffler shop could bend one up for you, and some inside sleeves at the butt joints would be real easy to weld up. I would incorporate a tilt tongue.

brad2v and loudbang like this.
  8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I would something in front to protect it. Some had a tall tool box or something like the old dirt trackers that had that front enclosure or whatever you call it. Recap off a semi or just a small rock would be disaster to something that nice.

1947knuck, brad2v and loudbang like this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

He could build a faring similar to a chariot in Ben-Hur.

brad2v, loudbang and bobwop like this.
  10. Mtn Goat

Mtn Goat

Thanks for taking us along! The car is awesome but the story and the people are the best part! Thanks again

1947knuck, Hatchet and Mild Mitch like this.
  11. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Our plans for a trailer changed when you posted that picture, both of your suggestions are what we're going to do now. I called Kenz Muffler today and talked to Eric, he told me the Ken Crawford frame you posted was built sometime around 63-65 using 2-1/2 tubing. It looks like it would be easy to replicate using our cars measurements. A Ben-Hur style fairing done just right would look good. Thanks for posting the picture and your suggestions on building it.

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 9 others like this.
  12. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I talked to Dode a few weeks ago after sending him the finished pictures of the dragster, he had a small brass plaque made with his name and date for the engine build if we wanted to mount it somewhere on the firewall. He is also putting together a complete detailed list of everything that was done and the parts he used to build the engine. Dode told us it would take him awhile because he was going to do it in a story format, who helped, who found what parts, and how everything came together. He said he thought it would be a nice addition to the story of the build. Thought I would post a picture of Dode getting one last look at the engine before we got it ready for the trip back home.
    IMG_2083.JPG

Vic Walter, winr, Spoggie and 20 others like this.
  13. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That will add a ton to the story. Glad your going with something in the front to protect it. Remember some of the first enclosed trailers that started showing up for the dragsters? Single axle and just big enough to get the dragster in. They'd push them in, never seen a winch then unless it was an old crank type.

Spoggie and loudbang like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

Man you are doing one hell of a job on the rebuild AND getting the story out.

15. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I called Kenz Muffler Friday and talked to Eric Griffin, his Dad Keith bought the shop from Ken Crawford back in the 70's. I sent Keith an e-mail and he sent it on to Ken. Ken e-mailed me yesterday and told me he built the car and trailer either 65-66 and later sold it to Dave Blanton who lived in San Francisco at the time and doesn't know where it is today. It would be nice if the trailer was sitting somewhere, Ken also sent some pictures, one has been posted here by Marty Strode here is another thumbnail_3-B.jpg angle Ken sent me. It would be nice to find that trailer even if it needed restoration. Maybe someone knows Dave Blanton or a lead to the trailer if it even exist.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  16. well done !

1947knuck likes this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ken Crawford is one of the coolest guys on the planet, sharp as tack and a great sense of humor ! I am fortunate to have him for a friend. Here he is holding the Isky Performance Award, from Bakersfield in '64 I believe. The man has a profound sense of detail in everything he does. KC-1.jpg

18. For a guy owning a muffler shop, he sure didn't do much for headers on that SBC! ;)

-Brent-, Spoggie, RodStRace and 7 others like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

But check out those cool exhaust port adapters.

hendelec and loudbang like this.
  20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is a closer look at the adapters, Ken had a K-88 before the Fuller Car. He did experiment with header length. KC-5.jpg

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now we're getting somewhere, and I've been looking too, great shot Marty.
    Not sure when Ken did this but his appear to be used for reasons other than the way we used adapter flanges in the 70's for 1&7/8" headers on sbc.

22. Hombre

Hombre

Found this very cool picture thought you guys would get a kick out of it. Now you know what and how much money you should be spending. Dragmaster.jpg

23. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I'm still searching sites daily in hopes of finding a picture of our car from back in the day. It could have ran a Potvin blower at one time, you can see from the different holes in the front engine mount plate and rear bellhousing plate that it ran different combinations in it's time. The fact that it's a right side steer and was always black should make it easy to identify regardless of the engine setup. I talked to Bud Hammer a racer from back in the day that still goes to the Bakersfield reunions. He told me that in either 1959-60 he bought a complete rolling chassis from Dode and that Jack Williams bought one at that time also, he said Jacks Dragmaster was black he just couldn't remember if it was a right side steer. Jack Williams was one of the original members of The Smokers Car Club, and later part of the Crossley Williams and Swain AA/FD team. I talked to Blake Bowser at Famoso Raceway, he was going to look through old photographs from that period also. I've talked to Don Ewald, Sherm Porter, looked at every picture on the WDIFL website the George Klass Remembers site, looked at everything posted here concerning vintage drag racing with no success. It would be nice to have a picture of our car from back in the day that could help lead to it's original owner and it's history. I'm still searching and with all the eyes here on the H.A.M.B. maybe someone someday will find a picture, that would be a nice addition to our car.

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 7 others like this.
  24. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I've been fortunate as a Dad to work with my children in our family business, we have very similar likes and goals in life. The adventure this build took my children and I on was an enjoyable and memorable one. Traveling together, seeing the Grand Canyon, the Meteor Crater, hanging out on the beach in California, eating at nice restaurants, meeting Dode and his friends are things we talk about today. When a decision was made towards the end of this build to post it on the H.A.M.B with the pictures we had taken to document it for ourselves, we thought others might enjoy the build and the adventure also. The response and kind words from the H.A.M.B members added to the build experiance and was a verification to us that we had done a good job. We're glad you enjoyed this and want to thank all of you for your kind words. The Andersons.

25. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Here is the Dragsters place in our shop. When we get the correct rear wheels, build or find a period correct trailer we'll post those pictures along with a video of the engine running. IMG_2297.JPG IMG_2298.JPG IMG_2301.JPG

26. I'm diggin' that Racecraft 1/4 midget and the little Thimble Drome tether car beside it. ;)

Hombre, 1947knuck, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here are a couple more of Ken's K-88. He clearly has always had an eye for detail ! IMG_0001 (2) (1).jpg Kenz Muffler K88.jpg

Vic Walter, loner2, Stebo27 and 14 others like this.
  28. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I was at a friends shop about 10 years back that he use's to store cars he buys and sells, he had just got the 1/4 midget in a trade along with six cars, so I ended making a deal for it. I had never seen one I could remember and thought if I don't get this now I'll regret it. I'm not sure if the paint job is original all though it looks like it could be, but the engine, reduction drive, and all else is. When I was at Dodes picking up our engine Roy Miersch and I were looking through the pictures of our dragster I had sent to Dode, and when Roy saw the Racecraft 1/4 midget in one of the pictures he told me the ratio of the reduction drive, what engine it had, the horse power, he knew everything about them. He said they were real popular back in the day and there were tracks for them everywhere. The entire time Tyler and I were at Dodes, Tyler video recorded every conversation all of us had so we would be able to go over them in the future. Here's a closer picture, the ad in the seat is a reprint of an old advertisement for one, it says you can own one for $3:00 a week.
    IMG_2287.JPG

29. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Like I said earlier that car is so detailed and clean. I like the valve cover breathers being polished to stand out, the straight front axle, transverse leaf spring and friction shocks all chromed is real nice. The two fuel lines from the fuel tank to the pump, a clean and balanced look. And a right hand steer, very nice and clean with such attention to detail. Thanks Marty for posting these.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 6 others like this.
  30. That is a stretched cockpit version of a Race Craft. In the late 50's many manufacturers did those so the kids who were getting older could still race. Most associations extended the age limit to 14 or 15 and had older age classes. I drove until I was 14 in '59. I retired after winning the memorial day 100 lapper at Los Alamitos, and began building my RPU. My 1955 Kurtis is in the Justice Brothers Museum.

winr, Hombre, catdad49 and 15 others like this.