Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Third brake light for pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wallaby, Apr 5, 2017.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I think I'm going to run a single on my truck like this....
    [​IMG]
    Why,
    Because I like it, I can and it's legal.
    In fairness I live in rural Alabama where older cars are common and the driving is nothing like you have.
    [​IMG]
    For this truck I understand the concern. Is a high center taillight the answer? I don't know. One thought I have is those lights might not be ....legal.o_O I know, I know, but those are customized lights in a non factory location. I know for a fact the old F1 single light is legal. I can't say the same about this set up.
    Maybe just maybe the best bet for you is to run a original size single or a pair of stop, tag and tail at the original locations along with those custom lights.

Lots of things are grandfathered about these vehicles but with modifications you go into legal no mans land.
    I hate you got hit Gimpy. Early 60s Ford Galaxies, Fairlanes, T Birds and Falcons have those giant round Rocket lights. Personalty, I think she was lying through her teeth. Today...it's always someone else' s fault.:rolleyes: The fact remains though, you were legal.
    Had your Falcon had slit custom taillights on a roll pan even with or without a third light you may have been in the wrong......This something for Wallaby and others with custom lights to think about and look into.

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  2. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I think a light above the license plate will blend with the regular brake lights and will defeat the purpose. Your bed doesn't have the bed top rolls so that rules out lights there and the tinted rear window has been covered. With body work all done it's hard to see an option that, to me, would look good and serve the purpose and be easily installed. I know on street rods there's an LED light that recesses into the body people use just below the rear window. But that would require bodywork and paint. Maybe a nice light on the top of the front bed panel.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Legal ≠ safe.

4. You could use something like this : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterpro...506183?hash=item28068ba247:g:rPMAAOSwWnFV7mlu
    Ugly, but you may find a way to make them look OK. You could even write "I'm stopping now, you idiot" with them in the back window!
    You could put a searchlight from a WWII aircraft carrier on the back and the morons will still hit you up the Jaxy!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, if I had a Effie, where one light was technically legal, I guarantee that I would have 2-3 LEO encounters, per trip, with a "fix-it" ticket for improper lighting, resulting in a trip to the court house, to explain myself to a judge.

No thanks.

6. Wallaby

Wallaby

Just an update: I bought a third brake light from United Pacific (love their stuff) PN 38943.
    I got it on Amazon for $14.97. It is 9" wide, 5/8" deep, and 5/8" tall.
    It's small enough to be nearly un-noticeable, but very bright and bursts through my tinted glass with no problem. It can be set up as a tail light AND a brake light as it has wires for both a dim and bright output.
    For me, the bright is what I need... no need for a tail light or split function for turn signals. 15 bucks and a 10 yr warranty, can't be upset about that. It has ears on the ends for mounting. The entire structure is 9" wide.
    It is fully potted, I plan to paint everything except for the face. It would probably make a good tail light for a boat trailer or something... looks to be fully sealed against water. I am happy.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a big fan of 3rd brake lights but I am a bigger fan of not getting rammed in the ass so I offer an idea.
    There is a ton of wireless lights on the market that require no permanent wiring or mounting. Use them when you hit the road, ditch them at shows or whatever. Here is one that you stick on your helmet, kinda cool since a majority of bikers killed are sitting still at lights and whacked from behind y morons in steel cages.
    upload_2017-4-18_12-0-16.png
    I have a set that are magnetic and you just throw them on your tow vehicle or trailer, no wires, battery powered, keep them in the truck all the time. Also nice for emergencies.
    I put some on a OT 93 chev truck, it didn't have turn signal mirrors and I wanted them. Stuck a 1157 light bulb with a built in transceiver in the rear tail light socket on each side and stuck wireless LEDs on the mirrors. Done. Convex mirror as added feature.
    upload_2017-4-18_12-8-5.png
    I know the OP is talking brake lights but this technology is easy to play with and there are tons of options that are practically invisible and take only minutes to install. Be creative and you could use an old stop light, add the remote LED lights and batteries, add a magnet to the back and stick it on the cab.

8. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

The problem isn't your Falcon or the lack of a third brake light, it's the idiot behind you following you too close or being distracted with a lack of a brain! I've been rear ended in a O/T car with a third brake light, idiot was tailgating me. If you "need" a third brake light to realize that a car is slowing down in front of you, (we don't have eyes on our foreheads) you should have no business operating any vehicle.

As mentioned already in this thread, that 19 year old that hit your Falcon was hoping that would be some excuse to get out of accepting fault for his or her poor driving.

46international likes this.
  9. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

[QUOTE="F-ONE, post: 11998357, member: 52934"

For this truck I understand the concern. Is a high center taillight the answer? I don't know. One thought I have is those lights might not be ....legal.o_O I know, I know, but those are customized lights in a non factory location. I know for a fact the old F1 single light is legal. I can't say the same about this set up.
    Maybe just maybe the best bet for you is to run a original size single or a pair of stop, tag and tail at the original locations along with those custom lights.

Lots of things are grandfathered about these vehicles but with modifications you go into legal no mans land.

Personalty, I think she was lying through her teeth. Today...it's always someone else' s fault.:rolleyes: The fact remains though, you were legal.
    Had your Falcon had slit custom taillights on a roll pan even with or without a third light you may have been in the wrong......This something for Wallaby and others with custom lights to think about and look into.[/QUOTE]

Very good points mentioned here.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool story, bro.

Now how do I fix everyone else on the road?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. You don't you can't fix stupid.
    End of the day you drive defensively and hope for the best.

They got a left exit on an interstate interchange here that they actually put a double line on the left lane for a mile prior to the exit and big signs saying that you are exit only and cannot change lanes, people still do it. I came up on it one evening, and was watching for people to try and duck out anyway and sure enough someone pulled out across the gore lines in front of me. I was on the bike, and locked 'em up then heard that familiar air horn sound behind me. I had already chosen an escape route something I learned when I was a kid, quick glance and I went right and stretched the throttle cable. I heard the crash behind me, but I was in traffic so I could not stop. Lucky me.

12. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

As Beaner said, you can't fix stupid, "bro". I'm surprised you had to ask. If you think your cool idea of a third brake light is going to help fix stupid, then, go right ahead! :rolleyes:

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I said before, I only need it to reduce the number of rear-end collisions by exactly one.

Hnstray and Engine man like this.
  14. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

You asked "Now how do I fix everyone else on the road?" You obviously didn't like the answer.
    Again, if you think your "bright" idea is going to help, then go right ahead, don't be surprised if someone still runs into you, because, it's still possible!

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

50 caliber machine gun on a proximity switch?

46international likes this.
  16. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I found a simple LED strip from Summit (they had a shorter one that could have worked as well). It was cheap & not really noticeable until U hit the brakes. Easily mounted in the bottom of the rubber seal around the glass. U can see it in the center. IMG_0201.JPG

swade41 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  17. If it saves you one time it was worth the cost of admission. ;)

You have got to do whatever gives you piece of mind. Life is hard enough without feeling unnerved all the time. Some guys need ani-lock brakes, others need shoulder harness, and etc. If a third brake light makes anyone more comfortable driving then it is well worth the cost of admission.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Here's mine.
    IMG_3291.JPG

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  19. I put a third brake light right above my license plate, it's 13" wide and fits perfectly there, not too noticeable till it comes on!!
    brake light.jpg

swade41 likes this.
  20. I used a couple '59 Caddy lights in the fenders and a couple of those little bed-roll insert 3rd lights in the bed corners.
    P1010562.JPG

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, nice work on the cab. It was not until the third time that I looked at it that I noticed.

22. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Suggestion: If you plan on installing a 3rd brake light then go with LED type. Bulb types are current hogs and your brake pedal switch may be overloaded by more bulbs. If it is mandatory to use bulbs, use a relay that is activated by the brake pedal switch for powering the 3rd brake light bulbs.

BTW: 1957-60 Ford Panels had a 3rd brake light, just above the license plate.
    I believe 1940-49 Chrysler products also had 3rd brake lights.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2, and LED's are more "instant on" than any incandescent bulb.

I keep my brake light switch on a hair trigger. It light's 'em up the instant you hit the pedal, long before any actual braking is done.

24. Wallaby

Wallaby

Shamus, mine sits in the same way. I am thinking of adding a strip of some kind along the bottom all the way across just to get rid of that "bump" of a light, and retain a clean horizontal line across the bottom.
    We'll see if it turns out.
    Right now I'm busy trying to hook up a fuel sender to my spun moon tank.

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If by any chance you have a hard tonneau cover planned, Blazer style rear LED bars are 20 bucks on ebay. I put mine way at the back end of my cover. Gary

DSCF0069aW800Fischer.jpg