Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Earning your license,how was your drivers test?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

I had no problem ,( I was driving a tow truck at 14 years old), my son on the other hand they got tricky with .. A good driver , plenty of experience...Aced the written test, on to the driving test .. We took a '66 Fairlane Hardtop for him to test in ..( This was 1986) .. The tester safety inspected the car, lights,wipers,horn,etc & it passed without issue ... The inspector got in the right front seat & told my son to back out of the parking space...My son asked him to put his seat belt on ..Inspector advised he didn't need one.. My son asked again, politely reminding him that state law required ALL front seat passengers to be belted in... Inspector again said that HE didn't need one ...Son advised that he would not even start the car until the inspectors belt was fastened ...The inspector got all pissy about it but belted up & passed the kid with 100% on the test...
    My CDL test was even funnier... We took a nice '85 GMC single axle day cab tractor & a 40' flatbed for 7 different guys to get tested in...I reminded everyone NOT to look out the back window for ANY reason.. ( Instant fail on an Ill CDL test at the time)... Everyone passed & left in their personal trucks/cars & went home for the day ...Left me at the DMV to return the truck to the shop after passing my test ..
    Nice lady inspector climbed into the cab, I had to remind her to fasten her seat belt...No problem...
    I was instructed to back the trailer between a row of rubber cones to turn the rig around so we could leave the parking lot ... No problem ...Checked the left mirror, clear...Checked the right mirror, clear...Just started to ease backwards & caught a glimpse of "something" in the right mirror... Nailed the brake pedal almost bouncing her head off the back window...She hollered " Well ,WHAT was that for????? I told her to look in the mirror ....Someone in a passenger car taking a test had somehow come up behind us in the "Semi-Truck Only" area & stopped about 2 feet behind my trailer ....She exclaimed, " What the hell is he doing there????" I replied, I don't know but I missed him.....Yes...You certainly did ...Passed .....:)

wicarnut likes this.
  2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

My high school had free drivers training, with classroom lessons, simulator lessons, and then actual driving, in a Ford Mordor Maverick. I took the written test and passed, missing one or two questions. Then when I turned 16, I took the actual drivers test in a Datsun 810, and failed, right after I pulled out of the DMV because I failed to yield to traffic making a left turn. I had to wait a few months and then went back, this time, I took the test in a 1971 Monte Carlo and passed, Whew! A year later, I nearly lost my license because of speeding tickets.

3. squirrel

squirrel

We're both getting older.... (I'm driving in this pic)

LeMonsRally-mid-15.jpg

4. stimpy

stimpy

I was driving trucks before I drove cars ( grew up on a farm and had a farm license/permit ) Took my car/chauffers ( intrastate truck ) test when I was 18 as I needed a motorcycle license to ride ( never drove a car , just trucks in the summer ) , when I turned 21 Took the CDl test , the examiner noticed I wasn't double clutching just banging the floor with my foot ( took it in a cabover ) and then made the comment I was supposed to double clutch , but then she asked me how long have I been driving trucks . the look I got when I told her since I was 14 in the fields and 16 on the road ( local ) for the farm . I knew how to drive a 5 over 2 , twin sticks and 13 speed before a 4 speed . my most difficult driving test was when I went for my Certified trainers license .

5. Flogknaw

Flogknaw
    from Texas

Ahh geez seeing all of you guys having great story's when I'm taking my test today, yikes I'm beyond nervous

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. I had a horrible driving record until around 1986 or so. I was in traffic court all the time and kept one lawyer pretty busy making sure I had a license to get back and forth to work.

7. Horror stories:
    My neighbor took her test in a rented driving school car and sideswipes a line of parked cars on the way back after the test.

A buddy of mine, the test guy had him turn back 1/2 way through his test.. told him on the spot he failed.

My brother had people in front of him mess him up, it was considered a dangerous action and he failed twice.

My sister took driving school instructions and used their cars for 5 tests, she failed all of them. It was the summer of '81 and I'd go to the beach in the mornings and take her out driving in the afternoon, most of the time I was 1/2 in the bag. I had the patience of a saint and she listened, she passed her 6th test. To this day she is a white knuckle driver and scary to drive with.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  8. I learned to drive in my dads 1963 chevy2 station wagon but took the test in my moms 1967 ply. Valiant, 6 banger, 3 speed on the column. It was on New Years Eve around 3 p.m. {back up in N.J.}When I got there all the crew were parting aready. The guy in charge said who the hell scheldued this kid on new years eve? 1 guy said I will take him out .We went around for a bit , then pulled up to a stop sign. I stopped but was so scared I started out in second gear and stalled it. The guy mentioned it so I restarted in 1 st. gear. This guy was kind of feeling good too so when it came to parreling parking he said kid just pull in between there 2 police cars {straight in} .I did and passed. I lucked out that day. LOL. Bruce.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  9. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I have long felt that every driver should have to retake the test every 10-12 years. It might force people to relearn the rules, at least to reread the basic rules. There are physical changes that occur as we age but I do not feel that at 60 most people have declined so much they should be discriminated against.
    On the other hand the state of Florida gave my 90 year old aunt a 6 year renewal by mail, she should never have been on the road. It took her 6 tries to pass her drivers test.

10. ems customer service

ems customer service

started driving at 14, used mom car to deliver newspapers in the winter, cop drove by me every day doing his morning patrol, never got a ticket then,

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Took my test in Mom's 63 Fairlane Wagon, the tester thought I would have trouble parallel parking that
    big a car but I had been pulling that car out of the garage, backing past Dad's car and boat, and pulling
    it around front for my mom since I was 10. Passed first shot, lucked out as it started to snow as I was heading back to the MDV and they cancelled tests for the rest of the day.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Aced it. I was really ready to hit the road on my own! Gary

13. wicarnut

wicarnut

Interesting following this thread, I took Drivers Ed after I had my licence for a discount on car insurance (which I could not afford after my many tickets, drove without insurance for years) and they showed a movie (Signal 30 ?) A series of clips at car accident scenes, Very Graphic, some girls and guys got up and left the room, I believe it's purpose was to make you think and be careful, something teens fall short on IMO. I had 5 kids total, all started driving at 16 and worried plenty, hoping they were not like me At 16 as I fell into $hit for brains class behind the wheel, funny after time, years have past, NOW I hear the stories and that expression " The Apple Does Not Fall Far From the Tree" is So True, All is Good ! I sometimes wonder, did they turn out so good because of me or in spite of me. LOL

14. cavman

cavman

I don't remember my first driving test other than I passed. Took it in a '61 Bel-Air Sport Sedan. (4 door HT)

I took a Cheauffeurs test some years later to drive a commercial vehicle, in my jacked up '72 K-10, short box. When it came up for renewal, I paid the fee and the state made a mistake and gave me a MC endorsement instead. I went out and bought a bike just for the hell of it. I never had to renew that.

15. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Took 5 question written test (short lived here) the day before I turned 16. Took road test with double stop sign next day.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Something that I forgot to mention in my previous post.I grew up in Florida,and when I took the road test as mentioned,I drove a stick shift car.At that time the law was that if you took the road test in an automatic transmission car your license was stamped"Automatic Transmission Only"until you retook the road test in a stick transmission vehicle.Was this the case in anybody else`s state?
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flunked it LOL...I wanted to get my license the day I turned 16. In rural Southwest Missouri, driver's license testing is mobile. They bounce around from town to town on a regular schedule. The 16th of October that year they were about an hour from me in a town I had never even been driven through....

So I show up, get a 98% on the written and we take off to do the driving portion in an absolute torrential rain. I am just driving what I think is a safe cautious 30 mph when the State Patrolman riding along says you have a bit of a lead foot. He makes some kind of notation and I see my first speed limit sign clearly marked 15 mph. We get to the parallel parking and I can barely see the little white poles in the rain. I put it between them as best I can, he opens his door, it is about 3' to the curb. He says could be closer and writes again on his clip board. I am fairly flustered at this point as he is directing me back to the city square.

Now this is a unique square. Its layout is the same as normal, courthouse in the center with two story buildings on all four sides. However it has an outer ring of one way traffic and an inner ring of one way traffic with parking between them. You could also park in front the buildings on the outer edge or right up to the curb at the courthouse.

Not sure if that is clear or not but as I came to a stop at the corner looking at the court house, there was no traffic anywhere, no cars in any of the outer or middle parking places and one open space right in front of the sidewalk where we needed to exit. So I just crossed over and parked it. The Patrolman laughed a bit and said, son you are going to wish you hadn't taken this test today. I got marked off for: failure to signal a right turn, failure to signal to park, illegally crossing a parking area, failure to signal entering the second road, failure to signal to park and although it was only about 2 or 3 feet to square up the car in the parking space, traveling the wrong way on a one way street. FAIL!

I should have just parked in front of one of the stores and let him walk a 100 foot to the court house in the rain. LOL

18. 1968, I was suppose to take my test in the vehicle I had been driving with my leaners permit, a 1962 Ford Country Squire station wagon. At the last minute my sister needed to the car to run some errands. I was left with my father's 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix. I had never driven it except to move it in the driveway. The power brakes and steering on the Pontiac were VERY sensitive compared to the Ford. During my road test I actually stalled the engine (automatic) twice by hitting the brake too hard. The easy steering was a plus during the parallel parking portion. I passed.

19. You are supposed to get all your tickets between the age of 14 and 16 that way there isn't any license to revoke. LOL! You get those tickets and pay your ten dollars a month toward your fine,s. When you have a big balance they leave you alone. When the fine is paid almost off they start Ticketing you again. I was on a first name basis with all the LEOs in my town. After I got my license they left me alone as long as my vehicle had quite mufflers. Back then you had ten days to get a inspection and transfer the tags. I traded vehicles almost every week. So I left the titles open and carried a notarized bill of sale. When I was stopped I quickly dated the bill of sale for just a few days prior. Many of those cops told me to mount my tags upside down so they would know it was me and not bother stopping me. I later learned the cops when meeting you would look at your windshield. If there wasn't any inspection sticker or it was the wrong color (expired) they would stop you. So I made certain I had the correct color inspection sticker.

20. Hoping they where not like me! Yes indeed. My mother told everyone I was the type of kid she didn't want her kids plating with! She would make that statement right when I was present.

wicarnut likes this.
  21. I don't think its discrimination. Driving isn't a right its a privilege. And when we reach middle age we begin to decline. and some deteoriate faster than others. Im 66 and still have my CDL. and haven't been tested driving ever. Two written test in 50 years that's it. Now im confident I could easly pass a driving test. But someone else might not think so? The other day we where driving back from west plains and met a motor home hurtling down the road on our side of the yellow line. Old Geezer behind the wheel. and towing a small truck behind it and a boat & trailer attached to the truck. Now that was scary. Its not unreasonable to require old folks be tested often. I know ive fallen off the edge a bit as Ive become older.

22. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Yes there are many older drivers who should be retested but there are also many that are not that old that should be checked. I was not trying to say those of us over 60 are perfect but as a group we tend to
    drive a little more carefully to allow for the slowing reflexes etc. I have been hit 4 times in the last 10 years but never by anyone over 50. Cell phones/texting and general poor driving habits caused all
    of these accidents. This is why I said everyone should be periodically retested. Yes I got my license in
    1970 and never have had to be retested, net even an eye exam. My feeling is if everyone was retested say every 10 years they could catch those who decline and maybe reinforce the correct driving regulations on the rest. If they made everyone caught driving while talking on a cell phone or texting
    retake their drivers test it might just make some people stop doing it.

Bomb likes this.
  23. jetman

jetman
    from n.c.

Took driving test the morning of my 16 the birthday in dads 58 chev cameo pickup, with 3 on column. Remember it was very stressful because failure was just unthinkable. Had been driving around farm country so had decent confidence but heard scary stories from older guys about dick inspectors. Made it ok and remember the feeling of relief mixed with profound joy. I was on the road and living large.

24. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

The driving part of my test was a breeze. I felt pretty lucky to be taking my test right after turning 16 because before I had my license, I took my truck out for a joyride and wound up getting two tickets - speeding and driving without a license. Anyways, after passing the driving portion in a private class it was time to go down to the DMV and take the written exam. Well, in typical DMV style they messed up. Apparently I was given a CDL test.

To set the stage a little, I was a really good test taker - like 30 ACT good. Not tooting my own horn, but for some reason I just could always skate by without studying but aceing tests. I am not near as smart now, I beer'ed that away. Anyhow, I was prepared for the test AND I studied. I was nervous, and thought the test was waaay more technical than the study guides but I didn't realize it was the wrong test. There were lots of questions about heavy trucks, but I wasn't going to fail. I turned the test in and they immediately realized the mistake. I was super embarrassed. I guess they scored it out of curiosity...and guess what I PASSED my CDL! It didn't actually count, but hey who else can say that!

Old wolf likes this.
  25. Flunked the first time when I eased into the crosswalk to see around the corner. Got in a little dispute with the inspector, because I couldn't see around the bushes on the corner lot. Could have just pulled out and got us both killed, but I would have passed! o_O Jerk...

26. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

In early summer of 1986 I had successfully completed the driving portion of my permit test with no problems , I had parallel parked my dads 66 C20 manual steering 4 speed pickup & was hanging around to see all the other local kids in our county parallel park & then it happened....... our local sheriffs son had his grandma's 67 Dodge Coronet 2dr hardtop & his nerves were shot , as he cut the wheels & backed in the designated parallel spot, he accidentally floored it , laying rubber & creaming the highway patrolmans new LTD Ford Front clip & then is the strangest part, he lays the ol column shifter into drive "still floored" & flat out smashes the front bumper into another parked patrol car! Holy Crap ! The trooper testing him was a local bad a & ex marine & I clearly remember him getting out looking at his LTD & saying A four letter word that starts with S. A decade later I bought the ol' Coronet & had memories of that poor car's bad day. Ohh if some cars could talk. :) Flux

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Old wolf likes this.
  27. Funny but it might have been on purpose? You know the thing like a preachers daughter or a cops son? flummox and embarasse the parent!

flux capacitor likes this.
  28. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

One of my classmates had a bit of a problem taking her road exam. The small town we lived in (Norton M) had a nice scenic grassy common area in the center of town with an antique cast metal fence around it. This was also the intersection of route 123 and 140. Both fairly lightly traveled roads (fortunately) in the middle of day when we were taking the road portion of the exam. Well Joan was traveling east on 123 when the examiner asked her to take a left onto 140. Joan, nervous as a cat having kittens, started the left turn but only made about one half of the required turns of the steering wheel, climbed the 3 foot embankment and crashed through the beautiful metal fence. And this was in a dual controls road test car. The examiner was so shocked he couldn't react in time to hit the brakes and avoid the accident. Haha, end of testing for that day. Thankfully I had already passed my driving exam an hour earlier.

29. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

65 Mustang 289 HP 4speed , testing officer ask if I checked the oil before road test ? " it's clickin pretty loud , oil level is low " ha ha ! Passed no issues , he just wanted to get back and out of the car before it locked up ! Road test for bike on a hand jammin , kick startin , oil leakin Harley 100 perfect score , I guess "county farm property shirt " made a statement to the others testing .

30. 64 GMC 3/4 ton, long bed with a granny gear 4 spd...officer made me back into the street ( we had angled parking slots) turned right at the light and almost immediately into the parallel parking test, perfect on first try, turned and looked at the officer to see what to do next...surprised look On his face and he wanted to know how long I had been driving! I was 15 and getting my 6-6 drivers license....he told me to re-park the truck that I had passed...

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app