Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Did you learn to drive a stick or a automatic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 18, 2017.

1. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Learned on my avatar at about 12 or 13. Had an LT-1 and a 4sp. Of course it belonged to dad at that time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. I grew up on the farm, so by the age of 8 or 9, I had everything figured out. :rolleyes: The first automatic I drove was my Grandpa's hired man had a '58 Impala. I was about 11 or so.

Pop had a '60 Buick Lesabre convertible with a dyna-flow that I got my license in. :cool:
    After that everything I ever owned was a stick, but then I've only owned 12 cars. :eek::D

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Stick, 1961 Ford in a gravel parking lot before the Friday night Boy Scout meeting. Why Dad had me start backing up is a mystery, but it all worked out. Bob

modeleh and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

62 full size Ford sedan, 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. In those days (1966) automatics were something fancy rich people had.

My first car was a 48 Chevy, also 6 cylinder 3 on the tree.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. cometman98006

cometman98006

'48 Ford pickup when I was 14 at my uncles farm. He gave me the keys and said drive it around the field till you know what your doing. I ended up breaking an axle.. Got my drivers license in my dad's '52 Plymouth 3 on the tree.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. klharper

klharper
    from Mebane NC

It was both for me we had a GMC pickup and a 65 Chevy impala convertible with auto and a Fiat 124 and Alfa Romeo Giulietti with manuals. The Fiat had a 5 speed and the Alfa was 4 on the tree. I miss those cars.

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Learned on a '69 Datsun truck, drive around the field, shoveling up horse crap for grandma's garden, 12 years old.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. noremf

noremf

My brothers 2 door 49 ford 3 on the tree front coils cut 4" front clearance.

Sent from my SM-T817V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

VW Bug. Not the automatic stickshift version.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. v8deuce

v8deuce

Standards!Being a farm kid my brother and I would take the '56 ford 1/2 ton out to the different fields to pick roots and stones when he was 8 and me at 9. He would kneel on the seat,steer and shift the 4 speed, I would sit on the floor with my back against the seat and run the pedals. I don't think we ever got out of 1st.This was not something my mom was fond of but I can remember dad saying he wanting us to learn everything possible. At 14 I received my drivers licence, very restricted as it was for use only for farm purposes,driving tractors,combines,etc on the roads.I never knew what an automatic was as my dad thought they were useless until I borrowed my older brothers '59 Chevy 4 door so I could take my "real" licence when I turned 16. It was so rusty the headlight buckets were held in with haywire, the driving instructor got in and when he shut his door the window fell down inside the door! He looked at me and asked it this wreck had brakes, after pumping them a couple times to show him we were off. To this day I still use my left foot for the brake, if it don't have a clutch.
    Randy

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Avgas

Avgas

1963 Holden wagon with side plates 6 cylinder with a 3 on the tree with no sincro first gear!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. hotrod fozzie

hotrod fozzie

I learned stick shift, in high school my Auto body teacher gave me keys to a Chevy Sprint ( like a geo metro) I made laps in the parking lot until I could drive it!!

Sent from my LG-H810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. ken bogren

ken bogren

straight stick in a couple family cars
    fluid drive in another one
    automatic in another one

no wonder I'm confused :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Not exactly H.A.M.B. Friendly, but 89 wrangler 5 speed when I was 13

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. 1941coupe

1941coupe

1949 chevy 3 speed columm

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. harris73085

harris73085

Seems like everyone is learning to drive on something sweet! I learned to drive a stick.... and 87 Nissan Pulsar... hey you take what you can get when you're 15.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

20. I actually learned to drive on an early Ford tractor. Grandparents had farms and dad had a landscape business on the side (professional firefighter). At 10 or so, I was driving the tractors putting up hay and straw, grading yards...easy stuff but it taught me clutch control and steering. Later I would drive grandpaw's '48 3/4-ton Chevy and my papaw's '63 C10. Dad's '74 Suburban was the first auto I ever drove. In between, Dad bought my younger brother and I a King Midget to use as a go-kart of sorts on my grandpaw's farm and the surrounding dirt roads. It was a 2-speed auto but that 9-hp Wisconsin would push that thing around pretty good, especially for a 12 year-old hot rodder!!

In driver's ed class over one summer (1978), I went to the high school that had the county's drivers ed range (large paved/fenced lot adjacent to the sports fields). All the cars were autos, except for a slightly older VW Rabbit. During one road session, it was my turn to drive. After a moment or two, the instructor asked, "You've driven before, haven't you?" Fearing the worst, I answered honestly. On our next driver's range outing, we were learning proper passing techniques. The instructor pointed to me and one other guy and said, "You two get in the Rabbit!"

HOTRODPRIMER and Montana1 like this.
  21. Elbopper

Elbopper

I learn on a 1958 VW bus at 8 years old

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. At age 13, my brothers '53 Pontiac with 3 on the column.

23. 8N and a 63 Comet

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My dad's been an automatic fan since the Mercedes bug bit him, when I was about 6. Consequently the cars I learned on were automatics: the little Mitsubishi "Plymouth" wagon we had when we lived in Canada for a while, and my mum's Audi after that. I learned to drive a manual on a friend of my parents' Toyota pickup: four on the tree. I've never owned an automatic car myself.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. 1948 Ford sedan up and down between the rows of an orange orchard. 3 of us on board all "learning" to drive.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. 59 Ford wagon, 292, 3 on the tree.

59 FORD-FRONT.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Paul B

Paul B

grandfathers 56 chevy pickup 4 speed, still can hear him saying lo-low = first gear

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

1960 econoline window van.
    200 from a mustang.. 3 on the tree.
    Dad's work truck. Hauled all his carpenters tools..
    I changed 12 clutches , 2 engines and 1 rear end in that thing.
    Dad kept it from 69 till 90..
    31 years I did all the work on it...
    Funny... I've never owned a Ford myself......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

das858 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Learned on both a 58 Chev Biscayne,6 stick and a 55 Pontiac with auto depending on which was available.
    Remember how you went for a short cruise when your parents sent you out to get a gallon of milk? "Check me out, I'm driving!" Lol :cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stick... Dad had a fiberglass dune buggy that he used to let me drive around in the field and on dirt roads when I was about 10 years old. Plus I drove tractors and hay trucks etc. on my Grand Dad's farm. When I was 11 there was a big celebration going on in the city park. My mother and a friend had some sort of craft booth in it. They spent the whole morning loading everything into a VW Bus and then found neither of them could get it out of the driveway.:p I finally spoke up and said you know I could drive the bus to the park for you. After some seriously painful looks between the two they finally agreed. I climbed in and delivered them to the event with no issue. Then I guess forgetting what was going on or excited about their booth etc., they unloaded the van and sent me back home (LOL). Mom said it didn't register with her til later in the day what they had done. She said at some point she looked at her friend and said, did we just send an 11 year old kid home driving by himself! :eek: But I was a good kid. I put the old van right back where I found it, grabbed my bike and headed to the park again.

David Gersic and HOTRODPRIMER like this.