Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods help with quick change ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmpontiac, Apr 18, 2017.

1. New project in the shop - the owner doesn't really have any real background info on it, so there's a lot of guessing on my part right now. The rear end looks like an early Winters unit, it's 12 3/4" tall at the center rib, and I thought maybe it was one of their 10" ring gear units, but I'd like to be more sure of what it is. It's got a Halibrand 301 rear cover, but I know it's not a Halibrand. I guess the rear cover fits multiple units. There's 12 ribs on the bells, and the axles are full floaters.
    The calipers didn't come with the car, and I'm not sure what caliper those mounts might be for. Any help IDing this stuff would be greatly appreciated. DSCN2087.JPG DSCN2085.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Hmm. Ida guessed it was a Halibrand center section. No names cast into it anywhere?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

IMG_1841.JPG It's a Halibrand 301, with other brand side housings. The housings will be 11 or 12 bolt, that denotes early or late manufacture. I'v got the twin to it.

4. Marty, it's got 12 bolts - any idea who made the side housings? There's nothing cast on the main housing - just the stuff on the rear cover- Halibrand, Torrance, 310, California. I thought it said 301, but it's definitely 310
    DSCN2090.JPG

5. Case is Halibrand 301, rear cover is correct with a 310 designation.

Steve

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The housings on mine are 11 bolt, IMG_7773.JPG IMG_7774.JPG Speedway Engineering, Sylmar, Ca.

7. Marty, I went back and did some more cleaning, and sure enough mine says Speedway just like yours, and a recount of the studs came out 11 (all 3 times I redid it) So does it mean the main housing is Halibrand and the side housings Speedway Engineering or is the whole assembly Speedway Engineering? Next up, anybody got any ideas on the caliper mounts?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017