Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wiring: Ignition Coil/Distributor HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miki562, Apr 13, 2017.

1. miki562

miki562

OK will do

Yeah there is, but before when I would drive the car (with great fear, mind you) and leave it off to pay for gas at the station or what have you, I would try to start it up and all it does is heave, make clicking, grinding sounds and not start. It would take multiple attempts and a Jumpstart to get it to fire up. Which is super embarrassing after the 5th time, by the way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. miki562

miki562

I replaced the crappy/cheap terminal connectors the old battery cables had and bought some new ones at my local parts store. It helped! It needed a little patience, but the engine started up much better and without the help of a jumpstart.... but the way the engine starts... I'm no expert but I now it has everything to do now with the way the car itself ignites..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rfraze

rfraze

4. miki562

miki562

It can't be the timing bc I could leave the thing idling for about 30 minutes (which really pissed the neighbors off) and it wouldn't let up. Like I said before, the engine is a strong one, it's just what's placed on it to start up sucks.

5. rfraze

rfraze

When you jumped it did it sound right while turning over? Did it fire up like normal?
    How about now with new cable ends?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. miki562

miki562

After pumping some gas into the carb, it sounded like a car trying to start for about 15 seconds but then it managed to get going after I turned the key and revved the engine with the new terminal connectors...

I'll give the battery cable change a go and let you know how she starts. I'm also going to change the lame coil and distributor with Flame-Thrower replacements. Any tips on when I do that?...

7. What kind of ride do you have?Thanks Bruce.

8. skip57

skip57
    from md.

Stop what you are doing!!!
    Trouble shoot the coil & distributer as named earlier . OHM out the coil and distributer make sure you have 12 volts or what is the recommended volts to the coil. If it runs fine once started I would look at the suppled voltage i.e. start and run circuits. DONT just add parts first prove them bad. Keeping the cost down
    If when cranking over you have odd noises . You need to start there check and clean all the connections! (grounds too) . Once started do you have 13.5 volts at the batt. Does it start fine when cold?

9. The way I do wiring is I start out wiring one thing at a time. Like go from the battery through a fuseable link to the ignition switch and from there to the starter. then wire up the dist and ballast resistor. then the charging system. and just continue one step at a time. And when your done you know which wires went where and if you have any problems you can easly fix them. And really good grounds are very important. No such thing as too many ground connections.

rfraze likes this.