Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you the odd duck in your car club?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Now and then I want to join a club... but then I remember back to when I was in one and was the only one who worked on everyones stuff. Had a batch of friends try to recruit me... again I helped them a lot, they didn't help me.
    So nope, not in a club, but yes, the odd duck

2. 2935ford

2935ford

That would be me!
    I joined the Antique Auto club and I had the only Hot Rod.
    What was I thinking?

LOU WELLS, kiwijeff and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am not in any club but I definitely would be the odd duck in both the hotrod club and the antique club in town. I grew up in the antique club and have many fond memories of that but now almost all the club has passed away and the remaining members drive late 60's to the 80's cars. I would be the odd duck being one of the only members under 50 and have a prewar car. As far as the hot rod club I am not interested in muscle cars or street rods and the majority of the cars there are that. I can count on one hand (maybe 2) the number of traditional cars in town. I already know most of the people who have them and don't feel any need to join the club. I meet up with a lot of the guys in the rod club for coffee and donuts at the upholstery shop Friday mornings. I get along great with those guys and am glad I am off Fridays to meet up with them. Its a good mix of retired guys from the tri 5 chevy club, the hot rod club, the corvette club and the antique club. Its too funny when the old guys there ask my advise about any pre war cars.

4. Too cool for school? HRP

chryslerfan55 and Baumi like this.
  6. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Dont belong to a club. Too busy with cars and bikes.

deadbeat, FatDave and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Holy Cow,how can anyone afford to live there,at those prices I would be homeless.

California really must be something special but I'll take a simpler kind of life. HRP

BradinNC and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. OK Beeno,I'm in and you can me president,I want to be the treasurer and every one that want's to join send me your dues.:D HRP

Max Gearhead likes this.
  9. i like this.

is that odd?

chryslerfan55, PhredH and Montana1 like this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The salaries are reflected in the housing prices. I make what is appropriate for an engineer in this environment. The trouble is, if we leave the area, we also leave the area where my entire profession exists.

Sure, we could move to where the cost-of-living is half, but my wages would be 33%, and my wife's wages, 20%.

11. Clubs are for seals.

BLUSHU and Drunk Man like this.
  12. Gotta do what ya gotta do...sounds like your happy with the situation I hope you don't have to pay to park your car. HRP

13. metalman

metalman

[​IMG]
    Hey Billy, I had one of those. Used it to keep from getting my Ford Festiva stolen. Lot of good it did, they still broke the window, sawed the steering wheel in two and stole the club.

Last club I joined I got kicked out for trying to get the name changed from..... .. car club to ..... .. pie tasters society. Got sick of trying to get them to drive their cars, they would go to cruise night in their DD, go in and have a piece of pie and leave. Not for me.
    I'm on the roster of several local clubs, not that I asked to join. I think they hope I'll give a club "discount" at the shop for being a member. Decided long ago clubs are not for me, I'll just hang out with my buddies, don't need a plaque or jacket to do that. Funny, most the guys I hang with feel the same way. Maybe we should start a club.

FatDave and olscrounger like this.
  14. Holy Cow,If you didn't say it I would never believe any self respecting criminal would risk going to jail for stealing a Ford Festiva,oh wait!,they stole the club,that make sense. HRP

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My son saw a 'gag plaque' the 'old Possum Eater' gave me for a tip, after repairing the brakes on his beautiful '34 Woody...
    'Ol' Possum Eater' laid the "No club, Lone Wolf" on me, and it went in a drawer...later, I hung it in my hobby shop, amongst 240 model car kits: '23-'48, exclusively. Lots of 'early iron' makes that plaque comfy.

Son Rich suggested a "No club, Lone Wolf" club. For all the 'miscreants', I guess?

FatDave likes this.
  16. I guess my wife and I are the odd ducks that used to be in the local old car club. We ALWAYS drove the '31 Dodge no matter the weather. All of the other folks drove their new cars if it was, "too hot" or "too cold" or "rainy" or whatever excuse they could come up with. It's a friggin' CAR! It was made for all kinds of weather. If you don't drive them, you may as well collect postage stamps.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gave up on the club thing years ago probably because I am another "odd duck" It's fun to have a group to travel with but usually we prefer to venture along on our own at or own pace, stop to eat where we want to, stop for gas when we need it and stay at the motel we pick.
    With my close friends I am even the odd duck car wise as I prefer traditional, one likes bling an one is into the go fast trinkets. Truthfully I'd rather visit with friends I've made over the years from here there and yonder and spend a bit of time catching up on what is going on with them then walk around in a heard of matching hats or shirts.

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I found myself in a club reflecting upon the notion that the little I knew about cars, the club knew less. I found that to be odd and waddled my way out. [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

So it's the same the whole world over. Been in a club longer than I've been married. We learnt in the early days it's a rod club what is good and bad. Hung in during the hard years when lots of guys drifted off to do family stuff. A few members Kept the club going
    Club turned 50 and me and another guy got life membership. Was that proud I had it embroidered on my club jacket
    Then it would appear I became the odd duck. Some of those people who went away just shouldn't have come back
    Don't get me wrong "it's not my club" it's a group of people and we can't always play nicely
    Anyway I still go out in my 33 driving it as much as possible--only difference is the club jacket says home
    Jackets loss not mine
    Still got all my good friends

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

deadbeat likes this.
  20. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

And no I'm not a founding member. Still lots of life in this old dog (lone Woolf in sheeps clothing)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I guess I'm in my club now ,LOL,was in three CCs good club in the 60s,but time has moved on,so not anyone left really. We do have a small groupe,not really a club that makes the shows an lunch now an then together. Odd? what is odd,I love Ford Y-block V8s ,Studebaker V8s. I airbrushed a lot of odd ball t-shirts back years ago.

22. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

quack, quack, quack.

23. Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  24. 52chev

52chev

I'm one of the youngest in my club, build all my own card and try to do them old school traditional style!!

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 52chev

52chev

I'm one of the youngest in my club, build all my own cars and try to do them old school traditional style!!

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Yeah. I can relate. Im all for traditional hot rods and customs and NOTHING ELSE, and my club is kind of aiming in that direction too but when I see radialtires on their cars or even modern pinup decals om a trad. Hot rod...or modern engine with "the wrong" parts, or new Harleys with old-ish look I seriously consider if Im in the right club. Even our logo is too modern for my taste.
    It even troubles me that my own hot rod have a Tremec box underneath. Even though it doesnt show. Yeah. I guess Im a wreck

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  27. FatDave

FatDave

I was in a club and I learned a lot. Now I'm a loan wolf with a few buddies... it's better this way.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

manx4me and hotrodmano like this.
  28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Quiet a lot of people down here don't realise that other makes and models exist outside the bounds of 28-34 Fords or that steel cars were originally produced before fibreglass existed. That's why I drive a Chevy. Clubs and other membership is not for me, too many egos and empire building from experience. I'm only in the federation for registration purposes as it is policy of state registration authorities. Happy to cruise with other friends.

deadbeat likes this.
  29. I joined a club back in the 70's with my 37 Willys and I was an oddball with all the Chevs, Fords and the others. Dropped out of it back in the 90's and never joined any others as we like doing our thing when we want. Its good to catch up with others at shows and things but I hate being with the same people doing the same things and being herded. JW

BradinNC likes this.
  30. I'm very odd but I don't it has anything to do with what I drive. iphone pictures 131.JPG