Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Blowers and Drives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MARTINSPEED, Nov 9, 2009.

1. I just love this thread!

2. I've got my Weiand swing arm front cover and WC671 Typhoon intake on the digger. Got her upgraded from the 2" to 3" belts so hopefully I'm done tossing belts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

And a Hildebrandt fuel pump block off. Where are you in Illinois?

4. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

This is a Dankas superblower setting on a 392 intake and Hilborn shotgun injection.
    This is going on my hemi headed 455 Pontiac .

Toxic Waste

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  5. barbara

barbara
    from wisconsin

awesome...dont see a danekas every day. very cool

Deuces likes this.
  6. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

posted this elsewhere;

picked up a 6-71 blower yesterday
    it will need conversion but looks like a good core
    what it came out of, fresh off the boat and at home on a spare '56 Oldsmobile 324

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

there is a ton of history on this boat on line
    but here is a bit of (off topic but somehow related) history
    copied and pasted here;

History
    The Odyssey was designed by Olin Stephens and built in 1938 by the Henry Nevins Yard of New York for Mrs. Barklie Henry, a member of the Vanderbilt family. She was to be a wedding gift for Mrs. Henry’s husband.
    By 1942 it was clear that our country needed the help of all able-bodied people, and boats, in order to counter the growing threat of the Nazi regime. The U.S. Navy acquired Odyssey and renamed her USS Saluda. She was painted the ubiquitous “haze” grey, converted to diesel auxiliary power and put into service in October 1942 at Port Everglades, Florida. The Navy assigned her as a research vessel for its underwater sound laboratory. I believe that is code for, “Figure out how to locate those enemy subs!”. She was used for radar and sonar testing during a time when our very shores and ships were at high risk of attack from the German U-boats.
    [​IMG] The Odyssey (SSS Saluda) during her time as a ship of war.
    By 1948 Saluda was assigned to go to the West Coast to be a part of the underwater warfare research funded by the Naval Electronics Laboratory, in conjunction with Scripps Institute. This ship has been through the Panama Canal, among her many other adventures. She spent the remainder of her career as a research vessel.
    By 1978 she was retired, declared surplus and sold for the amazing sum of $1 to the Sea Scouts. They restored her original name and she is now SSS Odyssey, a name that is reflective of her many adventures and experiences

8. 46Chief

46Chief

I believe this was made 1949 ish by Jack Mcaffee and used on a Cadillac motor. Jacks son Rex thinks it is but wasn't 100% sure. I've asked before, but does anybody recognize it?

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  9. 94blackta

94blackta

who manufactured these?

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  10. 94blackta

94blackta

another angle

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  11. MARTINSPEED

MARTINSPEED

Figured this should be added to the thread. Patterns for a Mickey Thompson Pontiac front mount blower drive. I didn't even know m/t did the potvin style mount. Maybe a one off? Feel free to educate us if you know anything about it

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420502871.066113.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420503149.782860.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

12. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

image.jpg

Deuces, exterminator and mgtstumpy like this.
  13. I don't know but I have one just like it. I'll check it for markings...

Deuces likes this.
  14. canning

canning

Wondering about this Cragar snout. I was told it was a back-up blower for a slingshot Fed with SBC engine. There were newspapers stuffed in the openings that were dated 1968, so the story is plausible. The rest of the drive including the crank pulley were triple v-belt drive. Can anyone I.D. this snout? It does not appear to be modified but is not like most v-belt Cragar snouts I've seen. 100_3695.JPG

alfin32 and Deuces like this.
  15. Actually some were over driven and under driven. It took up a little more room but some of the fellas that ran 'em back then used a gear box between the crank snout and the blower.

The later chain drives often ran a cover or a "chain guard." I don't know if the NHRA (or other sanctioning bodies) required it or maybe the racers themselves figured out that a loose chain was dangerous. I blew a primary chain on my bike once when I was still running a chain and open primary @ 70 or so. Probably not spinning nearly as fast as a fuel dragster, a chunk about 3-4 links long hit me in the back of my thigh, I had a knot and a bruise that almost completely wrapped my thigh for at least a month.

The upside to chain drive is that you could go to any Allis Chalmers dealership and buy chain. 60 pitch was the most commonly used and it was cheap. Blow a belt without a spare and your screwed, blow a chain and go to the nearest tractor supply. ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

exterminator and Little Wing like this.
  17. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Here's a couple shots I took before putting the Dyer's setup in my international, the mag looking one is a Very Rare "Len Imbrogno" unit which some day will make its way in an Austin I'm gathering bit's for, The other is a setup I couldn't pass on with 2" drive, Great thread! Cheers

Attached Files:

Deuces and mgtstumpy like this.
  19. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

Here is my attempt at the 'perfect blown 4-71 sbc'
    1957 283 with HOWARD chain drive, WEIAND intake, covers & 6x2 top
    HEDMAN hedders and KONG Rotofaze twin cap.
    Engine is going in my 1934 Chevy Coupe

Attached Files:

Deuces, Louie, exterminator and 7 others like this.
  20. AWSOME..... And those are some rare ass valve covers!

Deuces likes this.
  21. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Several blower threads being brought up and started lately. Hope it's a sign of things to come.

Deuces likes this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

That drive is not a Pete Robinson, although he may have had some influence in it's design. There are a few things that give it away as a Withers, sold by a guy from the Atlanta, GA area and Pete was from Atlanta too.
    The Withers was cast in aluminum, used a 1 1/2" Gilmer belt and the kit was sold with 2 1/4" water pump spacers so the blower belt could run behind the w/p, and it used the Weiand 4-71 manifold.
    The third picture shows the idler on the drive side of the blower pulley but that makes it look unconventional, it was designed by Withers to be run on the other side like other drives.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Elrod

Elrod

My old butter churn. 1937 McCulloch in my coupe.

[​IMG]

Sandy from TROG Pismo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hollywood-East and loudbang like this.
  24. Elrod

Elrod

And my Italmeccanica Huffer.

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  25. Mojo

Mojo

Do you have more pictures of the chain drive cover?

26. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Three pack! IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0717.JPG

Attached Files:

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-5-17_5-32-19.png
    Lions Dragstrip: original Howard Cam Twin FED 1959-60

Hello,

When we were ready to start our 40 Willys build, my brother had almost every copy of Drag News purchased at our local speed shops, Mickey Thompson’s shop or Reath Automotive. Since he always considered himself an underdog, he wanted to be a low key drag racer and builder. No flashy chrome stuff, no decals plastering everything, just a young backyard hot rod enthusiast/builder. In most of the early Drag News papers, all of the manufacturers plastered every page with their ads for the products. We were able to see who ran what, with who’s products at what dragstrip… (not an Abbott and Costello comedy routine)

Our friends always had their favorites and put the products into their builds, consequently with stickers in the windows. But, my brother wanted a simple build of our 671 SBC for the Willys to be low key…Yes, LOW KEY with a 671 on an SBC is an oxymoron if there ever was one example. But, he kept all of the stickers of the products we put in place and said that we did not need to showcase the product with ads on the car.

The speed shops had race ready 671 set ups, but no one had a set up for a 671 on a SBC. We scoured the whole diesel motor community in Wilmington, CA near out Long Beach house. Being near the LA/Long Beach Harbor had tons of diesel motor shops and suppliers. So we found a demo model that was cheaper than many of the used ones we found. The demo model had been sitting on a motor in the showroom and was going to be replaced with a shiny new 671, so the shop owner made us a deal that we could not pass up. But, it was not race prepped, so we took it over to Reath Auto to let them do whatever for a race ready 671.

We saw a chain drive 671 on several Hemi motors and they made quite a racket when starting and running. We had previously seen some regular multiple fan belt units on other motors, so now we had many choices. In talking to those racers, the chain drive was shaky to say the least. But the Howard Cam Unit was enclosed and looked rather nicely done. The multiple fan belt drive kits looked good, but the owners said they threw the belts quite often or they broke. So, we were stuck as there was nothing for an SBC motor.

By this time, we were lucky to have friends in the automotive circles in Los Angeles. We were able to get our hands on one of the first 671 kits coming out on the 1960 market for SBC motors. It was an Isky Gilmer Belt Kit with an Edlebrock manifold. It was a wide, single belt with adjustable pulleys for smooth running on an SBC. If Howard Cams made a wide pulley unit, we would have purchased one as my brother was a Howard Cam fanatic. We had a race cam and kit, an aluminum flywheel, motor/trans adapters,etc. Before this incident, we were ready to purchase that enclosed chain drive unit from Howard Cams, but we would have to get a 471 blower to make it work on an SBC.

Jnaki

So, our final choice was the huge 671 Isky Gilmer Kit on the 292 CI SBC, using our 6 Strombergs on top. Now, we were off and running… Even though we did not get that Howard Cam Chain Drive Kit, my brother relented and put huge Howard Cam stickers on our Willys windows.
    upload_2017-5-17_5-34-7.png upload_2017-5-17_5-34-19.png July 1960

mgtstumpy likes this.
  28. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

Here is the front cover. Andy

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. jnaki

jnaki

Hey M,
    Here is the latest, June 2017 photo of the Howard Cam Twin in its current configuration. Aluminum silver in the beginning and a few changes since, but still the same maroon color since late 1961, the "Twin Bear" lives.
    Jnaki
    upload_2017-6-16_8-30-30.png
    upload_2017-6-16_8-30-56.png
    The small "L" brackets on the chain cover face plate are for the plywood, slant nose, streamlining board that can be attached here.

exterminator and vega1 like this.