Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do I adapt a S-10-type T-15 (5-speed) to a standard dimension Chevy bell-housing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wick Humble, Mar 25, 2015.

1. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks, I don't think it will be too bad to do (at least in my head it all works out real good....lol)
    I've seen pics of that adapter, if I was born rich instead of good looking, I'd order one up.

For the life of me I can't figure out where the original poster is going wrong

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some advice on the pilot bearing situation from someone who did not take his own advice:

Spin up an adapter on a lathe that fits the back of your existing crank, with a light hammer-fit. Make it to fit an existing GM pilot bearing/bushing. That way, if you ever wear it out, you just buy another one. Custom wear items are not a good idea.

You will thank yourself, and any future owners will thank you.

3. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks, good advice.
    I haven't looked at the pilot bushing yet. I figured that the first place to start would be to measure the crankshaft hole and the tranny input shaft and then see if I could find an existing pilot bushing/bearing that would work. If that doesn't work then I'll definitely follow your advice

Bobby

4. Wick Humble

Wick Humble
    from Chico, CA

5. Wick Humble

Wick Humble
    from Chico, CA

Back on project: after all this, I may have made an error in measuring, or recording the distance. My bad; sorry.
    Gimpy, you didn't mention how much to shorten the input shaft; mine appears no need about 7/16-in. removed...? Also, do I need to bob the input shaft housing?
    I apologize for confusing you guys, and for being too prolix. I work alone, and am always trying to learn new things. If I can ever help you, please let me know. I've written a lot on auto history, etc.
    Wick
    PS/Working on revision of my old book How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car, to celebrate 25 years in print.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This spacer lets you bolt up an S-10 T 5 to a 48 to 92 Chevy truck bellhousing or a 55 to 92 Chevy car bellhousing.
    Ebay number
    The guy builds a lot of brackets and pieces for inline sixes.

This adapter lets you bolt the S-10 T 5 to a 54 or earlier Chevy car or 47 or earlier Chevy truck bellhousing
    This seller is well known and has a website that you can go to.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The amount that will need to be removed will need to be measured on your exact setup.

Borg Warner had about a half-zillion production variations, even in the same part number. The input shaft pilot needs to make it into the bearing by at least its entire diameter, and not so far that the splines hit it, even after thermal expansive.

The input bearing collar may need to be shortened, but that's less precise. The standard there is "does not hit clutch hub".

8. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I ended up fabbing an adapter to bolt the T5 to my Packard straight 8. I made a 1" thick adapter from 2 pieces of 1/2" plate. I'm using an 11" Chevy truck bell housing. I still need to re-drill the flywheel to accept a new style Chevy pressure plate but the trans is mounted to the engine;

20170228_183557.jpg 20170319_162125_resized.jpg 20170319_175201.jpg

9. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks for your knowledge and help...so far, so good