Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Questionable spring shackle angle. What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedabone, Apr 16, 2017.

1. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would like to go an inch or two more narrow on the spring to put the shackle angle a little more where I like it, but there is not a spring available. ( this is a slightly narrow axle) Whaddya think? Is there a REAL reason I shouldn't do this?

[​IMG]

Nuther shot.

[​IMG]

Thanks, -Abone.

2. Do you not need the drivetrain and body on it?

3. I see a custom leaf spring in your future, that one will bottom out as soon as the real weight is on it.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. Yeah...even with no weight on that sucker the shackle angle is almost 90 degrees as opposed to the suggested 45 degrees with a load on it. By the time you get weight on that spring the shackle will be "bottomed out". I see a 2 inch narrower main leaf

5. If you put the body and running gear on it will be nearer to vertical. When road ready they should be around 45*. JW
    (typed too slow)

6. Good old standard measuring guide:
    [​IMG]
    Steve

lothiandon1940 and RDE like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

On this topic 99.9% of stock model A's that I check have shackle angles pretty damn close to this.

I'm not sure I've even seen a spring over front end with 45deg shackles that didn't have a shortened main leaf

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crisis averted, problem solved. Deep in the bowels of their website, Speedway has a 33.5" wide spring that is for "special applications" that is exactly what I need.

Thanks Bill.

-Abone.

lothiandon1940 and Tim like this.
  9. castirondude

castirondude

I think like others said you will get a better picture when the car is complete and the actual weight is sitting on it.
    Leaf springs can be customized by spring shops quite easily.
    You can add more arch and less leafs for a softer ride and vice versa.
    They can make you a "main" leaf to of the length you want.
    Just go with it for now and then when the car is sitting on the ground take measurements