Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lady hamber transmission question muncie

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by haileyp1014, Apr 15, 2017.

1. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Looks like I got your attention with my heading.i have a 30 model a coupe.on 32 rails.sbc .question is I'd like to run a Muncie.but don't like shifter location.is there any other trannys
    That would have a better shifter location?ie not so close to seat.i read t&f used to make a top mount shifter for Muncie,but no longer made.

2. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Look at a HURST shifter for a '55-'57 Chevy. They are designed to clear the bench seat. Before I discovered this shifter, I made my own arm to move it forward to clear the bench seat in my '53 Chevy truck. Good Luck, Tim

loudbang, LOU WELLS and gobybike like this.
  3. Think about a T5. Standard or "world class". Five speed and you can get a forward shift mount. Put one in our 32 behind a flathead. Works like a dream....................

4. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Get a tremec and put the shifter in the middle position. Problem solved. Plus an overdrive. You didn't say cost was a factor.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

I have a t5 from an s10 in my model A. Shifter is forward of the seat and centered in the floor.

haileyp1014 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There used to be some Hurst shifters for the Saginaw's that mounted pretty close to where the extension housing bolts to the case; truck or Jeep applications? Muncie's and Borg Warner T-10's both have the reverse lever on the extension housing, so they're in the way of a shifter mounting, but all three levers are on the side cover with Saginaw's. I'm not familiar with the "rail shifter" transmissions (T-5's and similar). I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

haileyp1014 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. C69A

C69A

image.jpeg image.jpeg If you have a Muncie you can just move the shifter forward like I did in my 32

loudbang and haileyp1014 like this.
  8. Hurst shifters have some adjustment, they can leaned forward or back.
    The slot on the lower left is the adjustment.

[​IMG]
    A link to Hurst shifter sticks.
    http://www.hurst-shifters.com/product-category/?slug=shifter-sticks-service-parts

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've gained room on a few Hurst shifters by rotating them forward five to ten degrees.
    Some are easier than others, depending on whether the mount is a flat plate or the stamped steel version, most have enough adjustment in the rods for this.
    Leave the big center bolt slightly loose then rotate forward and transfer the other attachment bolt locations and drill and tap the mount.
    On the stamped steel type mount I made a threaded insert and welded it in at the new location.

loudbang likes this.
  10. 31aford

31aford
    from az

Attached Files:

loudbang and haileyp1014 like this.
  11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have a Hurst tower of the bolt on handle variety the options are endless. Some of the console sticks kick over to the passenger side , while others will kick forward. Over the years I have both cold and hot (with quenching) bent quite a few for a just right placement. The trick is to start with a long enough handle to end up with the top where you want it. It helps to have enough raw material :

turboroadster and loudbang like this.
  12. Fogger

Fogger

Call Hot Rods and Custom Stuff in Escondido, 1-800-hot-rod-5. As of a year ago they were selling the T&F shifter for the Muncie 4-speeds. I don't know if they're still available.

loudbang, DIYGUY and haileyp1014 like this.
  13. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

I called t and f and they are no longer made.thanks for all your help guys

14. Manager

Manager

Very interested in how you did the linkages. I'm about to start fitting one in an A model. That reverse arm would be working in the opposite direction?

15. pragmatist

pragmatist

You mean because it's a muncie??!?;)

haileyp1014 likes this.
  16. No, it's pushing, instead of pulling..Still moving arm in the same direction.

17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I made a handle for my 57 Chevy with a bench seat. This worked great for me

Attached Files:

18. Manager

Manager

Ahh yes it is. Thanks.

19. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Just go with an S10 5 speed, beef it up a bit and its every bit as strong as the Muncie (They weren't very strong anyway). Plus you get OD.

20. chubbie

chubbie

I have one in my model A, I made it work. If you can cut weld fab this will work. If not just scroll down to the next thread where they tell you to just use a trans you don't have. I used the hated 4 speed shifter from a vega. The shifter mounts to the center of the trans tunnel so the shifter levers on the bottom are long and bent to the side for the linkage. Mount it to your Muncie... on top where you want it. your only issue is reverse so start with the reverse linkage . You may need to relocate the shifter till reverse linkage works. cut drill weld a flat iron to the top of shifter where you cut off the original shift handle. bolt on (the usual 2 hole hurst mount) a handle that works. I used a push spring in the shifter, so now it hold the shifter to the left like a real shifter. Oh it now is to high to use a small boot, so use a Hurst super boot! Works great NO issues after 40K miles

21. This is one way to solve the problem:
    I succeeded in fabricating a center shifter for the Muncie tranny

After studying Tanos's pics, I fabbed a similar solution in my model A. To further complicate everything, I not only had to center the shifter - i had to move it backwards and raise it up too. Took some thinking, building, rethinking and rebuilding before I got it to work.