Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A question for Ford & Chevy guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Bob Marshall

Bob Marshall

I have been lurking on this site for a long time, but I just joined so I could reply to this discussion. I am a true Blue Ford guy. But I also have a have a 1965 Corvette that I build way back in 1975. I had a radicaly built up 289 HIPO motor sitting on a stand and wanted to build a Street Machine like no other. I found a trashed 65 Corvette which I bought for $500. With a good friends custom bodyworking expertise, we managed to achieve that goal. I showed and street raced that Corvette the summer of 75 and 76. Drove it to the NSRA Nationals in Des Moines and Tulsa. After the Tulsa show, I tore it apart to install a Blown Boss 429. The Vette has been sitting in my garage apart now for over 40 years!!! I am now in the process of getting it back together after all those years.

2. At heart I am a Ford guy. When I was 16 you could buy a 55-57 Ford for about 1/2 the price of a Chevy and that was all I could afford. With that being said I would still love to have a '55 Bel-Air hardtop or a 61 Impala or a 62 Bubbletop. The 61 in my avatar met a bridge in Jan 70. That was shortly before I left for the Army.

3. cavman

cavman

I'm another one that found you could buy a Ford for a lot less than a Chevy. Back in 1967 while stationed near Tacoma WA, I decided I needed something to get around the PNW. I stopped at a used car lot near base, I saw a '55 Chev Del-Ray post. I asked the guy how much? He told me $700. Ouch! Right next to it sat a '57 Ford 300 sedan. Absolute perfect body, and 4 brand new tires. How much for that? $100. I bought the Ford. Later traded it for a '58 Golden Fury. I couldn't give that car away, so I drove it home before I went to SE Asia. Wish I had them both yet.

4. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

I grow up all around Chevy only I wish to have a 55 Chevy I like cars but own 2 trucks at least I'm still with Chevy. But actually don't mind 55 Buick special or 65 Cadillac for muscle 66 mustang off topic but

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. I'm on both sides of the fence, own a 51 Ford Woodie and 60 Chevy Sedan Delivery... The 60 couldn't pass up got a good deal it...

6. cs39ford

cs39ford

I am a ford guy for my hot rods. Anything from 1940 and back would be a ford. But due like those tri chevys. My rod is a ford 39 Dlx sedan also have a 56 Chevy post sedan gasser. Both are daily drivers

7. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Chevy guy but there are a ton of ford's (especially 54 and back cars and say 50 and back truck), but I love all sorts of cars and trucks.
    Edsel, Hudson, Buick, Olds, REO, Studebaker and so on...... so many cool cars.
    The rivalry is part of the fun.
    I've swapped derogatory comments about car brand choice with guys that had cars I wouldn't mind owning many times. Of course there's a good chance that while I was doing it I had an "off brand" car myself since I tend to be drawn more to brands like Buick than Chevy a lot of the time.
    Why pay more for a 55 Chevy just to blend in when the Buick counterpart is beautiful, cheaper and has a nainhead?
    Of course I've had quite a few cars just because I could see the potential in them and they were a good deal!

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. jimmy959

jimmy959

Man that's weird! I was gonna post that I'm currently a Chevy guy (white '57 150 post sedan - there's a few pics of it on tri-five related threads), but I'd love to have a '60 Starliner. Great minds think alike?

chevy57dude likes this.
  9. Don't think I ever seen one stock.

Sent from my MotoG3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Never understood why people call Chrysler cars mopars. Mopar is their parts division. Chrysler product always remind me of Joe dirt. But if I had to own one I would say 60 300f with cross ram or a DeSoto adventurer. Maybe a 59 fury, Peter Gunn always had one.

Sent from my MotoG3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I'm a GM guy. Have been my whole life. But stuff pre 1958 I don't really care what it is I love them all. Except for Dodges they are like a curse word in my family. My sister's fiance got a dodge truck, needless to say he gets made fun of a lot.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

My dad studied at the GMI and I grow up with this songtext printed in his yearbook:
    High above the old Flint River, factory whistles blow, toot de toot de toot
    Stands an ivy covered outhouse General Motors Institute
    She's our mother, how we love her, raise her name on high, hi de hi de hi
    To hell with Ford and Chrysler products, God bless GMI
    -----------------
    But I really like the '65 Ford Galaxie.

brett4christ likes this.
  13. just like Ford's if they are blue and Chevie's if they are orangie........

14. fordbum46

fordbum46
    from Arizona

Sent from my LGL34C using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Mostly I'd just be what ever the other guy was not,so we could trade jab's,after all really good worded jab can be a great LOL adding to fun. Yet,I do like make in make,motors swops,its all nuts an bolts really. My number fav. one is always going to be 1953 to 55 Studebaker V8 low hard top coupes. Even though I started with Y-Block Ford hotrod an built many Chevys as oval race cars.

16. topher5150

topher5150

I bleed blue, but I always thought mid-50s Olds super 88's, and Corvettes were pretty cool

17. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have owned several GM and Ford products, I have yet to own a Mopar which is kind of strange since I like those too. I have no problem owning either flavor, but I consider myself a Ford guy.

dana barlow likes this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I've had my share of GM and Ford products, all I know for sure is I'm not a Mopar fan. :eek:

19. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to see that, I'm a fan of Lincolns.

20. jchav62

jchav62

KIMG1126.jpg KIMG1125.jpg I'm a Chevy guy... but I own both. I have a soft spot for 65-66 F100's. My uncle had one for years when I was growing up. My pops had one too. The garage nowadays... KIMG0938.jpg

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

16 in 1964, a Chevy man for sure, some 348's, 327's, had a few Fords, through the years, GM Trucks, Vans, SUVS, Lincoln's, my driver of choice, HAMB friendly, 29 Ford HighBoy Roadster, SBC, 32 Ford full fender 3 Window, SBC, 51 Mercury mild custom, SBC, 51 Buick restored stock, OT Camaro ragtop, SBC, OT Dodge Magnum RT. SO........ Reading this you can I am not a die-hard true blue fan of any brand w/ the exception of SBC, had several race SBC engines from 355/377 to 408 CI, one BBC 440 CI, back in my racing day's 70 into early 90's, SBC WAS the engine of choice. My Midget racing days, Aluminum Buick 215 CI, Chevy 2 @156 CI, Sesco Chevy @156 CI, AutoCraft VW race engines@ 122 to 140 CI. Now sneaking up on old, HP is not that big of a deal anymore Brand loyalty never was my deal, just always bought what I liked and thought was best deal for me and my situation at the time.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  22. rcrbudha

rcrbudha

I'm mostly a GM mostly Pontiac guy, now I'm building a 30 Ford truck, with a Flathead V8. Next I want to build a 48 -53 Ford or Merc with an LS.

Sent from my A1R using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

24. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

25. High5

High5

I'll admit I'm a Chevy guy. But there was a guy from high school that owned a '54 Ford Crown Vic Skyline. I fell in love with that car. Candy Apple Red, white interior, lakes pipes, horizontal bar grill. If I could only replicate it hmm...

26. RmK57

RmK57

I don't think I'm ready to come out of the closet yet..... I'm still hung up on Fords.... but I'd still love to have a late 50's vette. View attachment 3507929

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  27. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Whatever I like and the majority happens to be Ford products...but a 46-48 chevy 3 window custom ala Barris "Highschool Confidential" version would be my next custom.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. I'm a Chevy Guy but I would definitely own a 39 Ford Coupe.
    Plan on it in the future.