Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods State Farm dropped me from their antique insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Apr 10, 2017.

1. 51 BIRD Nope.LOL.Bruce.

51 BIRD likes this.
  2. Grundy has never asked for mileage on my cars. SF does regularly on our A to B cars because we have low annual mileage coverage. Gonna have a problem with one of them this year.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  3. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I give 5***** for Grundy

4. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Bruce,
    I use hagerty for the insurance on my '28 Model A. Agreed value, pictures and list of what was done since it's not stock. No problem on the primer/rust paint and it's been 4 years with them. Switched from my old company when the prices got too high.

Cliff Ramsdell

5. Cliff I am going to give them a call as soon as I get my refund check back and thanks.Bruce.

51 BIRD likes this.
  6. ...always used State Farm on all my daily drivers for over 50 years, and some of my old cars,...got insurance from them on my 48 Ford p.u. and within a month, after they received pictures, they sent a notice that they could not insure it....guess they didn't like the old paint,...now have a few cars all insured thru Hagerty, no hassles with them.

7. Rusty, looks like that's the way I am going to be going.Bruce.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Rusty am I reading your post correctly to understand your DD's are still with SF?:eek:

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Dang Bruce, two points we all are coming to. First a huge proportion of today's work force doesn't want to apply itself to minimal or certainly extra effort. I find most don't want to think. It's like the McDonalds touch pad decision only employee times a 100.
    Next there seems to be no easier way to make money off of people than having them send it to you on a predetermined schedule for hopefully indefinitely with no fulfilled promise of anything in return except poor public relations.

I am dreading the hunt for insurance for completed hot rods when finished

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

We use Auto Owners for our cars and have a blanket policy for the cars in our Dealership. But the personal ones are just a stated value, you tell them how much money you want when it's totaled and pay the premium on that. Usually around 25-40 a month per vehicle.

11. drttrkcwby

drttrkcwby

I have full coverage on all my hot rods. I have them appraised then fight the battle. Usually works out. I have a couple cars I don't drive very often so they go through haggerty insurance. My '63 wagon is through haggerty and if it ever gets in a rear end collision it will be scary. The tailgates are hard to find. They even told me when I insured it, it could total the vehicle. Insurance is a fucking scam

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I don't even have an odometer in my A pickup, I don't know how much mileage it has, and I can only guess on how much I put on it annually. I told my AAA guy that to begin with and it wasn't a problem for them.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My SF agent did not have any problems with my 55 sunliner and 37 Chevy p/u but when I wanted antique insurance on my 65 country squire he told me the paint was not shiny enough,I should have looked elsewhere after being told that.

14. ...still have a few daily drivers with State Farm, but just liability...multiple cars helps on premiums...

15. mosupra

mosupra

Just so people know Grundy, carries a requirement, that you always be present, when your car is not parked in it's required garage. This means you cannot drive it to the store and go inside, or go to a show and walk around, or drive it to work to show it off, and then actually work.

16. mosupra

mosupra

Infinity classic car insurance is a POS don't even consider it. I have paid for 3 classics since 1998 and never even had a conversation with them until my truck was in my driveway while I switched from Carb to EFI and it got hail damage, I made the mistake of not checking how much the repairs would be before talking to my agent. They were A-holes as you might have guessed and made me feel like I was filing a false claim, I told them to drop the claim and their coverage all over a $300 paintless dent repair. Their loss, I will try Hagerty next. I want to make sure Infinity's attitude costs them revenue and customers.

Bruce Fischer and 6-bangertim like this.
  17. Each state has laws stating how cars like ours can be used versus how it is plated and the insurance companies provide coverage based on the stated usage. My plates are year of manufacture - antique plates have different regs I believe. If we decide to use our cars outside those laws, we should clear it with whoever our insurance company is. So, Missouri laws may be different than say here in Virginia. Plated as I have I can drive it to shows, cruise nights, out to dinner, just cruise around in it to "test repairs", to pick up parts for a repair, but not to work.

18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have Hagerty and am completely pleased. I drive mine over a 1k a yr. It's a roadster, sometimes too hot, others too cold.

19. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

You'll like this, SF will insure big trucks with Historic plates, here in Ca, its shows, parades to and from a shop so on and so forth, so when that truck has gone out of state for a truck show I'll let SF know its on the road and they tell me no problemo, Its got 750,000 liability same as a working truck, but I don't have replacement on it. In the middle of May we may be taking several 50's and 60's trucks to a show in Des Moine Iowa from Fontana Ca and they are insured by SF also, but we've all be fortunate and have not had any claims.

20. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Sorry about your SF issues Bruce. :(

I learned about both State Farm and Allstate when I was a kid from my grandpa, owned a body shop in a small town in MN in the '60's. "Cheap sonofabitches never want to pay for new parts, just used stuff" I remember him saying. If a car came in in on the hook, he would ask the insurance co. - wouldn't let the driver set the wreck down if it was SF or Allstate.

21. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Go with JC Taylor. I have had them for over 30 years. They are great to deal with. Mercuryguy

22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

State Farm has been like that since the '70s. At that time some agents would take "old cars with different engines" and some wouldn't. I always figured that was due to some agents were more creative when processing claims than others. My agent at the time would take my 70 Chevelle ( all stock SS) but if I had a claim, they would use the standard depreciation schedules to determine if they would fix or total it. since then I have always used the specialty insurance companys for my old/ classic cars that were being driven. Now I insure all of them with Hagerty.

48fordnut and Bruce Fischer like this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Grundy is actually just the agent/broker, Philadelphia is the actual insurance company. Grundy can tell you what they want to, it's what is written into the policy in black and white that matters. Never saw that written into any of mine. With that said, I've used Grundy for several years, only claims I have had were towing on the wife's pos Vette, they paid as soon as I sent the receipt to them.
    Been with State Farm for years on the drivers, never any problems there, either.

24. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I have just basic Florida required insurance on my 50 and 56 fords. I figure they arent worth much and if I cant fix them its over anyway.I have them both with progressive through a local agent and it costs me 86 dollars per 6 months each. I HATE insurance companies!

25. Thanks Runninshine.Bruce.

26. Civey

Civey

My Brother-in-law is an insurance adjuster for a well known company. He said they are known as "Snake farm" in the insurance world for a reason.

BJR and Bruce Fischer like this.
  27. 97

WRONG in so many ways.
    In New Zealand we are covered for injury, by the government insurance scheme called ACC ( Accident Compensation Corporation). You are covered anywhere in NZ ( and sometimes outside of NZ) whether you work or not, are at work or at play and whether you are a New Zealand citizen or not.
    You cannot sue someone for personal injury damages here, and if you are killed your family cannot sue anybody for any reason.
    ACC covers all medical, recovery, rehab and personal injury related costs including ongoing salary compensation forever if you are permanently injured.
    It is an insurance and the corporation is careful how and who they pay, sometimes there is litigation re the cover but no individual can be sued for personal injury.
    The corporation has billions invested from the premiums that we all pay , and in fact last year they lowered all of the premiums because they had sufficient reserves and the clams were lower than expected over the past five or so years .
    Kiwis sometimes bitch and moan about it but it is better than feeding the greedy Australian Insurance giants who dominate the rest of our insurance market.

rramjet likes this.
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

97 - guess that there is one plus for living down your way

29. SuperD-47

SuperD-47

We have American Collectors
    I pretty much told them what I wanted it insured for... 20k
    Just have limited mileage thats it

30. Von Brush

Von Brush
    from Corfu, NY

Classic Auto insurance in Indianapolis' is the best and cheapest. I have five cars insured for under six hundred dollars. One is covered for $58K. They have various mileage plans. I shopped them all and they were the best. Paid a windshield
    claim without even looking at it. Give them a shot!

Sent from my QMV7A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app