Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Introducing the Numbnuts Coupe - Yet another A-Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JMel, Apr 12, 2017.

1. JMel

JMel

It is notched. I'd have to dig through my photos to find a good pic of it if you need to see it.

When I bought the car, it came with the '32 rails already put together with cross member and notch (unboxed). However, whoever put the frame together wasn't using model A or 32 dimensions. No idea what they were using as the car flat out didn't fit. It was jenky, ugly and questionable anyway. Ended up cutting out all the cross members, built a jig, and rebuilt the frame from scratch using 32 dimensions. By the time I finished cutting, i ended up from square one with just a bare set of rails.

2. JMel

JMel

I admittedly to like like the looks of a subtle chopped A. I even considered doing a 2" chop just to take the edge off of it, and be subtle enough to make people question whether it was chopped or not. But I think its hardly worth the effort unless going for 3".

I love the profile of my car unchopped. But looking at it from the front, or especially the back and seeing that giant wall and massive real estate of the cab, it makes me want to give it a trim.

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I'd leave it unchopped too.

If you're dead set on chopping it, why not give it a trim - say 1 3/4" - not a short back and sides haircut on a hippy.
    A subtle chop will take the tallness out of the roofline without making it too uncomfortable for you.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    JMel likes this.
  4. Marken

Marken

Seems like your having a few problems now. So, you redo the seat and lower it a couple of inches. Should give you some headroom. Now you chop it 3" and you lower the seat like amount. So your sitting 5-6" lower, your knees are bent a little more and the steering wheel is 5-6" higher. You gonna be comfortable now? Can't see it being easier to get out or in of either.

I would do the hood and leave the top the way it is. Damn fine looking coupe.

5. dwollam

dwollam

I'd leave it un-chopped!

Dave

6. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

I Lov the engine selection u picked out for ur little coup that's gonna look bitchin when ur done

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app HotRod Harry

Fitnessguy likes this.
  7. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I agree totally!!

JMel likes this.
  8. A Boner

A Boner

Don't chop.....there are over 10,000 chopped hot rod "A" coupes already!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. I agree! HRP

10. 4" chop.
    6'5" and not skinny. Fit in it really well, but I did build it for me.....
    203.jpg

sloppy jalopies, JimBeam and putz like this.
  11. JMel

JMel

Trying to figure out your channel job. Is that channeled more in the back than it is in the front? Or is it just the angle of the photo/optical illusion?

Looks a little tight headroom wise. How high up is your seat? Looks like its a bit forward as well. I had everybody telling me to put my seat all the way back to maximize leg room. I didn't like it. I didn't like my head being all the way back and looking out the side window and having to reach so far forward towards steering wheel. Its almost where stock position is. Removed original seat riser and made my own. Made it so that the back of the seat is more or less all the way down on floor and front riser is about 3 inches tall. I have plenty of room as it stands now with my feet although knee hits wheel a little when operating clutch. But I also have a gigantic 18" steering wheel that I'm going to have to replace. I'm in love with my wheel, I think its beautiful but its just too big. Knee hits it a little bit, and its too close to door and I tend to bust my knuckles on door sill. Need to find a cool 16" wheel somewhere.

12. Yikes. 18" wheel is big for the little A. Only a subtle 1/2" channel 20160802_162940.jpg all round. Seats are 51'? Morris. All the way to the back and right on the floor. No sliders. Mounted the steering column accordingly.
    Yes. I do look out the side window. ...... it's a great view.

13. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I had an 18" steering wheel in the coupe which was chopped 4 1/2"/ I am 6" 2' and 220 and it worked fine. The wheel was a bit on the big size but it just MADE the interior.
    239.JPG

I lean towards chopping the car but can see leaving it as-is, its a personal decision. I can completely respect it unchopped OR chopped but don't understand some of the comments above about how a chopped A is "ho-hum"...

You must live pretty exciting lives to consider these "ho-hum". I am not a fan of 32s or roadsters but I don't in any way think they are ho hum or boring.

chopped.png

If it helps, this thread I posted a while back shows A's with different chops.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-coupe-showing-different-chops.869524/

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

chopped 51, i have used a pic of your car as my screen saver... liked the paint combo...

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

my vote is no chop... you won't get more limber as you get older...