Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2017 Lonestar Round Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 9, 2017.

1. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Great job on the pics, thanks!

2. Every year the builds get better and more of them. Congress is "over".

Tim likes this.
  3. How many cars usually show up?

4. Nice pics Ryan. The Round Up should be on everyone's list to make one day. It is a good time from the kick off BBQ to the show and the evening fun.

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The thing I love the most about going down to Texas is catching up with everyone and seeing these projects you follow on social media in real life. With a newborn and maternity leave, $$ wise we had to stay close to home, really looking forward to going down next year and bringing both girls and a hot rod with the van and an enclosed- :) I've been working for this... :)

kkarlsrud, Tim and Gotgas like this.
  6. sololobo

sololobo

I don't know if I could have picked one I liked best. I probably would have picked Denny Saums 32 coupe, but that would have been biased as he is my brother.

denny Saums 32 coupe, but that would be biased as he is my brother.

383deuce and Gotgas like this.
  7. j3harleys

j3harleys

Thanks Phil. I was totally shocked when this guy ( Ryan ) Did not know who he was walked up to me handed me something and I think he said enjoy your week end and walked away. I still can not believe He picked mine, it must have been that $100 bill I left on the seat. I had at least 300 cars that I would have picked before mine. There are more HAMB friendly cars at this show than any I have been to, this was my second time there. I only have 2 awards displayed at home now I have 3. Anyway THANK YOU Ryan. Johnny

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    bluthndr, lothiandon1940, Tim and 2 others like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ironically, an hour or so later someone told me the awards at the show were all about politics. My response?

"I gave my award to that perfect 5w over there. I don't know the owner and have never even so much as met the guy. The reason I gave him the award was that I love his car. Absolutely, 100%, love it - and that's the only reason."

I'm not big on awards, but when someone gives me the responsibility of handing one out, I take it seriously. I think everyone at the Round Up does.

Johnny, it was an honor to pick your car man. I mean that.

9. Plowboy

Plowboy

I haven't been down to the Roundup in a few years due to my work schedule. The last time I was down I was afraid the rat-rod set was going to take over the show. I was relieved to see that the quality of the cars there this year was really high overall, and the show was fantastic.

10. DAM! Larry that is cool of you......There were so many bad ass hot rods at this event. Ryan's pick of the 5 window was very well deserved and I back his choice 100% as I was parked right next to it on Sat.
    I must say that the guys that put this show on are very cool as I was not pre-entered and as this was my first time attending the round-up I did not know the area I parked in Sat. was for special cars picked by the club members. But one of them came around and told me I did not belong in that area with my window sticker and would have to leave. Then he looked at my car and said he would give me permission to stay there as my car deserved to be there. How cool was that of him!
    I would have moved with no problem, I just did not know about the special area.
    It was a great event...Thanks to all that work so dam hard to put it on.

Tim, kiwijeff and j3harleys like this.
  11. j3harleys

j3harleys

Your car was where it belonged it's as cool as any car parked in that area. I'm just sorry we sat there all day and didn't talk till late in the day. Was good meet some one and put a face with the name. I enjoyed it greatly.

lothiandon1940 and 383deuce like this.
  12. mgermca

mgermca

"....If you want to see what the Round Up is really about, you just have to go and get involved...".

Yep, so right boss and one of the things that make the Roundup unique is the Friday morning crack-of-dawn Garage Crawl.
    How is it that one town in Texas can have so many great rod building shops?
    Keith's new place is awesome and soooo surgically sanitary!
    My shaky amateurish attempt at capturing some of the Gustafson LSRU crawl....

Thanks Austin and the Roundup for a great time.....I mean we were wearin' shorts in April....daaaamn!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    thommoina33, Stu and KKrod like this.
  13. Thanks Johnny.....I thought the same after we talked. But I am glad we did even if it was at the end of the event. See ya on the road somewhere.

lothiandon1940 and j3harleys like this.
  14. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

You covered the show very well. Ryan.

15. L7..since no one else has old you DoTD is Days of the Drags meet..

16. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm the same way at car, gun ,antique,and trade shows.If I'm displaying,it's about whatever I've got on display and answering questions while you're in front of me.But when I'm the one doing the looking,leave me alone.It's about the subject matter in front of me and not the weather or whatever else you want to blather on about.I'm well known in some of my hobbies,so it becomes a chore to avoid eye contact and stay focused.When I do get waylayed ,and waste time having a long conversation,I always wonder if the inspiration I was seeking is on the next aisle.So yes,it is about the cars.

17. Sorry I didn' t know you hadn't met. I should have made the introduction sooner.
    I met Dennis on the way to NWDD 2013. I met Johnny in 2012 when I bought his highboy. Small world. Phil

j3harleys likes this.
  18. j3harleys

j3harleys

I need to be more forward I don't like to bother people. I wanted to talk to Tom T and the guys he came out with. I did say Hi one of them a young guy named Robert in a red roadster but he was busy and i didn't want to hold him up. Maybe next time.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Deadender60

Deadender60

Yup. That's the one Cole & Aaron (Salinas Boys) restyled.

One of our homies bought it from Kent Kozera not too long ago, that's why it's being seen a whole lot more than when Kent owned it. One of my favorite cars.. ever.

20. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Duncan's shop is right up the street from mine :) small world

21. bluthndr

bluthndr

Thanks for sharing the pics Ryan. Still looking for something to fill the hole left by Hunnert. Perhaps this is it. Gonna put it on the calendar for next year and try to get down from Michigan. Envious of all you guys that made it. I've never been...