Register now to get rid of these ads!

truthfinder crap

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by oldspert, Apr 13, 2017.

1. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I haven't logged in in a while but when I tried to log in today, it went to a crap site called truthfinder. Is this something new or ?

2. If you're using a PC or laptop you might want to run some anti-malware or anti-spyware software. Or maybe try a different browser and see if it acts differently.

If you're using a mobile device I can't really be of much help, but somebody else may have some suggestions.

3. I worked at a computer store for 20+ years, retired 3 years ago. I built thousands of new computers, upgraded computers, and cleaned viruses, spyware, malware off of way too many computers and laptops. Your computer has been hijacked and like ClayMart suggests you need to run an anti malware software. I like Spybot Search and Destroy but there are other good free programs. The bad news is once you get crap like this on you computer you can clean it off but it's already done damage to windows systems. Hijacked sometimes happens when your "hosts" file gets changed by a virus or malware. The "hosts" file is in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and it should be 1kb size. If it's bigger that 1kb then bad things happened. You try to go to AAA.com and your internet explorer gets redirected to XXX.com because of crap in the hosts file.

lothiandon1940 and ClayMart like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, that is not us...

5. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Neither, I use a MAC.

6. Are you the only person who uses your Mac? Maybe someone installed truthfinder?

Sent from my Borg implant using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Hmmm... I know Macs tend to be pretty secure, but there is still some free anti-malware downloads available specifically for Macs.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Malwarebytes free version has worked well for me on PCs in the past. And trying a different browser may at least help determine if the problem is browser or OS based. Maybe gearheadruss will drop by again. Have you added any new utilities to your browser recently, something that might have changed your home page or added a news feed or weather tracker service that runs in the background any time you're online?

8. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Just me and the wife. She wouldn't know how to download anything and refers anything different to me.

CLAYMART... There has been nothing upgraded or new installed for over a couple of months. The last thing was an upgrade to OS.