Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The FRAETON - 29 phaeton project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PurdueSD, Sep 25, 2014.

1. brady1929

brady1929

Very cool hot rod

kidcampbell71 and PurdueSD like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I can't wait to see it all in that red, cool beans right there.
    Oooh, paint the firewall and headlights to match the grill insert.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. thanks! The grill insert is stainless. The bones axle, maybe the spring, etc will be chrome. I'm undecided about the headlights right now, i think they could be cool candy red, chrome or possibly even black. Engine is white, not sure whether to paint the firewall white or red. It'll be fun to think about!

I haven't even seen the color yet, T-minus about 2 hours till i can !!!!!

kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Those grill bars look off white to me. I know they're made out of stainless. The out side band and crank bezel or still raw. But I love how the red, white, and shiny go together.

[​IMG]

5. Hah, you were absolutely right, they are now white. Awesome little surprise!

kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  6. IMG_7206.JPG Opening day for the 2017 roundup...

7. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Looks great! The top and curtains are very proportional. Great inspiration for my phaeton.

8. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Car looks awesome man!

9. The 2017 roundup was one of those times that you look back on and wonder if it all really did happen...

I hit all the spots and had some of the best times imaginable. I know for a fact the tub even won over at least one skeptic, when it had had guys piling in on multiple occasions acting like a traditional uber. I got to meet some of the best people on this trip. And thats what a big part of it is about. -Meeting people that share your interest, inspire you and even help you out.

This trip for me purposely set up to test my social skills. I'm a family man, i do everything with my wife and kids. Heck thats why i built a tub. Waylon was too young to feasibly make this trip and Wyatt maybe one year too young to come along solo. -The roundup is an enduro... Next year is Wyatt's year. That being said, i headed south to Texas solo this year. I didn't have many plans or even know anybody that well, (outside of Bob) but i was excited because i knew it would be good for me. And man was it ever. There are some great people out there in our hobby from top to bottom! And I am grateful to have made so many new friends this weekend.

I am incredibly lucky I stumbled upon Bob Bleed. I have to say i got really lucky when i asked him to build me a car. Ive had some other not so pleasant experiences in the car world, but Bob is a stand up guy if there ever was one. He has done everything he ever promised and then some.

You'll be seeing a lot more of the tub here soon... and thats all i am really gonna say about that :)

On to the pics...

IMG_7217.jpg IMG_7218.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg IMG_7221.jpg

IMG_7222.jpg IMG_7224.jpg

IMG_7229.jpg IMG_7245.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg

10. Some other stuff....

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.19.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.26.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.27.09 AM.png

Credit: Dean Hotrod Photograph

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.26.36 AM.png

Credit: HOP UP instagram

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Now come on more red paint!
    What weird world. I am building my current project to share with family, I was a social guy but now I'd need practice. My name is Wyatt, which was totally rare in my day(thanks Easy Rider). I named the first boy of my first twins Waylon, they passed on to that Roundup in the sky(figuratively). And I also am here to share this car thing with others.
    Maybe that's not weird at all?

kidcampbell71 and Outback like this.

12. Woah.... are your really from West Lafayette? I graduated from Purdue.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love watching this build on ig that top is dead on perfect

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Weird?
    Well I've lived here 10 years. My wife teaches there. I'm NOS to north west indiana(next to Gary), 34yrs, so I'm sorta a Chicagoland'r. A bulk of my "smart" friends went to Purdue so I have a decent history of coming down to experience this place. Although I don't want to let on like it's some big deal University, there's better, and definitely cooler. Not to offend as you certainly seem cool, I do personally know a few sneak through from time to time, lol, band friends, wife and such.

15. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Pictures!
    Great Tub!
    JADE IDOL!!
    Great Food!
    GOOD TIMES!

16. Thank you, but there's a funny story about the top...
    Bob and I literally looked at every pic of phaeton tops ever. We had it down to a science what we wanted, seam here, window there... etc. He took a packet of reference pictures in when he dropped off the tub at this upholstery guy in Milwaukee that he built the top for Bobs dad's roadster. When bob showed up to pick it up a couple weeks later, he about had a heart attack. They guy literally did nothing we asked. And it didn't even matter, because it was absolutely perfect.

17. kidcampbell71 and PurdueSD like this.
  18. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Top Does Look Awesome!!
    Got any pictures of the doors...
    Is there a frame or do you have to un-snap it to get out?

19. It just keeps getting better and better! I am interested to know how the door curtains are attached to the door? Do they each have a frame? Do they attach to the top?

20. Thank you both!

There is no frame, the side curtains snap at the bottom and velcro between the top and top frame at the top. Honestly functionally they leave a little to be desired, but i think ill be able to get in, snap the bottom and finagle the top velcro into place. I don't see myself using the full top and side curtains near as much as the other configurations. But in my opinion full top and side curtains is the best look for this thing.

kidcampbell71, Runnin shine and Tim like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That's awesome lol

22. How was it raising and lowering it? In the pictures you posted, it looks like you've removed the top altogether to cruise around...

23. Top goes up and down really easy, folds back and lays down on two chrome screw in dowels. Or comes completely off with two thumb screws. Austin is a mad house, you can't get anywhere without some combination of interstate and/ or mad traffic. I found that if i want to leave the top on, folded back:
    number 1: i need a side mirror(s), because i can't see behind me over the top -through my windshield mounted rearview.
    number 2. For when the top is folded down, I need to make some straps to be able to cinch it down and together. You get up to ~70 mph and it starts to catch air.
    FWIW some of the speed limits in TX are 80, and we were passing people :)

I actually much prefer driving the tub without all that bullshit on it. But all that crap is so cool!

24. Gotcha. Good to know!

25. image.jpeg
    Is that Weesner in the back seat?
    Looks like you had a great time. The tub is so perfect!

kidcampbell71, jalopykid and Dannerr like this.
  26. :D who? There's a video on his instagram ;)
    pretty amazing weekend on a bunch of levels...

Thank you

27. Maybe he'll do a tub inspired sketch now... :)

28. Crease

Crease

Thanks for sharing Dean's pics. We both love the Fraeton. Made Dean's birthday weekend to meet you, Piero and Bob. Awesome folks is a massive understatement.

kidcampbell71, Dannerr and PurdueSD like this.
  29. brady1929

brady1929

What a great hot rod.

30. Rand Man

Rand Man

How does it ride at freeway speed when you hit the big bumps? What roads did you take through Oklahoma 69 and 75?