Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So here we go on the 60 Comet project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justadream, Nov 27, 2016.

1. squirrel

squirrel

Oh, you want it to run well and go fast, too? Sure, chevy is the way to go!

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How about a Nailhead Buick...looks narrow and the spark plugs would be easy to get to.

Gammz and justadream like this.
  3. RmK57

RmK57

Typical chevy guy, throw in the towel at first sign of trouble. Sad, sad indeed.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will get a ration of sh!t for it. Are you getting sponsorship money from GM? Do you have a pension from them?

I find it had to believe that you cannot find Ford stuff where you are. I would wager that I, from here, could locate everything that you need to keep your Ford all Ford.

loudbang likes this.
  5. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Well YEAH. Thats what I was thinking myself plus I know them with my eyes closed and can hack anything kn them and make it work, unlike a ford. Lol

6. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Would love an old nailhead but around here is like a needle in a heystack, people here are hoarders.

7. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

No, dont think it
    No, no, no.... no trouble here, just got a little smarter. The reason for no fords around here is because everybody needs all the parts to keep fixing them, but CHEVYS on the other hand........ well, you can see where im going with this, hahahaha

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It boils down that it is your car and you can do as you please.
    If you think you want to build it to sell then you have to think what someone would want to buy.

Gammz likes this.
  9. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

How about a hot 289?

justadream likes this.
  10. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Something to consider but the one I have is SCRAP.

11. Yep -I saw that coming from a long way off.

12. The library didn't have any books either

image.png

image.png

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  13. F O R D :
    Nothing derogatory or cutesie here, just the facts that help remember how to work on them.
    Finished on right day
    Force only removes distributor
    Firing order really different

saltflats likes this.
  14. VTjunk

VTjunk

Pretty sure I'm the one who transplanted the engine into your car for the prior owner. Sure looks like the same car. This was maybe 15 years ago. It had a 240 6cyl that didn't fit, I put a 260 and Fordomatic in it ftom a 63 Falcon. All he wanted was it bolted in. Nothing else was hooked up as far as I remember.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and squirrel like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

now we know!

yeah, a 240 would not fit very well. But a 200 or 250 might.

16. bchctybob

bchctybob

I wasn't sure at first about your method of plating the front subframe but it turned out great! Much nicer than that formed tubing used in that other build. I would go with a tube axle from Speedway or Jim Meyer instead of that big old nasty van axle though, but that's just me.
    And part out that boat to get some working capital. Two 460s and all that marine gear ought to bring some cash via Craigslist or an add on the board at the marine store. I know, I know, it's a pain selling stuff but what's more important; a dead boat or the (justa) Dream Machine. I just put a 6-71 on my Austin Gasser just by selling off some stuff I'd never use. Easy money.
    When I did my '60 Falcon years back, I found that 2x3x.125 wall rectangular tubing fit perfectly inside the factory subframe channels to make easy subframe connectors. If your Comet is the same, the front subframe lines up nicely with the rear subframes. I used an abrasive wheel to slice the floor and open the tops of the subframes, then sliced the floor sheet metal front to back to allow the 2x3 to sit into the subframes. I then stitch welded the length of the frame connectors and rosette welded into the sides of the subframes where there was access. The tubing "rails" give you something substantial to build on for traction bar mounts, trans mounts and eventually roll bar support.
    I also moved the leaf springs to the inboard side of the frame and mini-tubbed it widening the factory wheelhouses for 10" tires. I built mine around a 271 hp 289 and a 4 spd .
    I have a bunch of pictures somewhere but they are on 35mm and have to be scanned in. I was slow to adopt a digital camera. I'll see if I can find and scan them. Great project. Keep up the good work!!
    Jeez, I wish I could type two line posts like you guys...... why do I talk so much? "Vernacular Verbose" J. Tull

jnaki and justadream like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

UN-subscribed.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  18. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

K, ba bye

19. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Just a little update....... Waiting for a little warmer weather to go and get the front end and may have also found a good running fsb 351. Will keep you all updated when things start to happen again.

20. VTjunk

VTjunk

I have a pile of 289-302 parts, could probably hook you up with something if you don't find one. I know I've got a good std bore 289 block, good cranks, rods, pistons, etc.

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

A 302/AOD will bolt in, so yes, a Chevy would be your best choice. I just don't understand ...

22. VTjunk

VTjunk

AOD in an early Comet you'll do some massaging of the trans tunnel. It's way bigger than the 2 speed that was in there.

23. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Hi everyone, im back. I know, I know, not this shit bag again but yes, its true. Im glad I listened to everyone about putting a stop on the Comet project till I figured out what I was going to put in it for a motor, trans ect, so THANKS TO YOU ALL. I have been looking for a motor since, I have found a few and lost a few because of being hesitant, and the ones that I could have bought, decided they were asking to much for even know they looked pretty, but pretty dont make them run good, correct me if im wrong please. Im to the point now where I think I have found me a motor. Lets see, what is it you ask? Well, like I said, I am VERY happy that I stopped working on the front end waited because now I think im going to actually need a shoe horn for this one............ I found a true blue original 1969 cadillac 500 ci motor with trans, a 400r short tail shaft trans and brand new stainless headers for a good price..... I think. Now, I need to figure out how this beast is going to fit in this thing. If anybody has done this before, please feel free to chime in to help get me heading in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Motor gets picked up this weekend, I hope. Fingers crossed.

24. 38caddy

38caddy
    from RI

Well, as they say, go big or go home! Worst case scenario, you can always sell the motor if there is no way to make it fit. And if you get it for a good deal, you can break even and sell it fast or make a few bucks and sell it slow.

justadream likes this.
  25. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

My thoughts exactly.

26. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

FINALLY found a power plant for the Comet. I picked up a TRUE 69 Caddy 500ci, 400r trans and a set of stainless exhaust block hugger headers for a really good price. It was a running motor and the PO took it out to freshen it up but never had the time to do so. I pulled the valve covers and the intake man off and it is really clean inside and from what I can see of the cam, their are no marks or anything on the lobs, it turns free as well. So NOW comes the hard part by the looks of it. I had it sitting in the engine bay roughly where it will be, it will fit but I think im going to have to scrap the fender wells because it is pretty tight and cant see any way around it. If anybody knows of a build that somebody did with a caddy motor, please let me know, im looking for suggestions on how to put this in. I know I will have to cut the trans tunnel ect, ect. Do they sell after market weld ins or should I cut one out of a car that has or had that trans it it?

27. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

28. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Looks like fenderwell headers are in your future. Have you tried mocking it up with your existing headers?

BFC

29. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Yes they are, lol. I did get a set of stainless block huggers with it so im going to see if I can use them first to make up a set but if not, I will find an old set if possible to cut up and make a set. Im thinking that being soooo close to the frame, I will build them staight out fom the block and into the fenderwell, like what you see on T buckets. First off, I need to cut the trans tunnel out to put it all in to see where it will sit when actually mounted in.

30. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Got a little work done over the weekend. Floors are cut out now some cleaning and figuring out how im going to build off the original frame either boxing it in like I did the front end or take out the whole thing and build new with 2x3 with some braceing in between and especially in the front where it meets the front frame and along the foot board. Im new to all this so any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. 20170417_171606.jpg 20170417_171716.jpg 20170417_171753.jpg 20170414_173432.jpg