Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Installing Teardrop Fender Skirts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, Apr 23, 2011.

1. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Hi,<O:p</O:p
    <O:p
    I own a nice 1940 Chevy Coupe and purchased a pair of "Big Jim's" Tear Drop Fender Skirts. After receiving them, I called and<O:p</O:p
    asked if there were any instructions on installing them. He said there were no instruction, they just clamp on.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p
    Well, I am fairly handy and built my Old School Chevy, but a little help from a drawing would help. I really do not want to scratch my paint trying to figure out the correct way of clamping them.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    Can you give me any help on the procedure?<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    Thank you!<O:p</O:p
    [​IMG]

2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Too many moving parts?

3. I understand the rod in the middle.

Not sure where the clamps on the bottom attach.....one would
    assume to the bottom edge of the fender.

4. 31Hudson

31Hudson

Put a couple layers of masking tape on all around the opening where the skirts should fit. It should help give an idea of how to clamp them on without destroying your paint.

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Ok its a little wierd the front piece needs to angle in with the pointy bit down, and it goes over and then above the inner lip on car fender. then the middle bit clamps on then the back clamp clamps down on the fender lip. Oh ya and i scratched up my paint trying to figure it out.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have similar skirts for my AD truck and the center rod just kinds of hangs on the inner fender lip with some tension. The outer ones just sort of rest on the inner fender. While your center bracket is the same as mine, my outer brackets are more like a "J" hook so I went the the local hardware store and bought some "L" brackets with holes and weld them onto the inside of the rear fender so now the "J" hook goes inside the "L" bracket hole instead of just resting on the fender itself.

7. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks for your suggestions. It should not not be this difficult. I will cover the outside of my fenders with tape and do all the fitting and adjustments.
    Thanks for the help. Does anyone have any photos of the inside installed skirts. Photos are so helpful.

RapRap

8. russell7088

russell7088

Well gonna bring this back up, im looking at these for my 41 olds and wanna know if your satisfied with these, in thinking about the steel ones. Any thoughts

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Well, it worked out really well. after hitting a couple pot holes I finally listen to an old timer and placed a small diameter Hexhead machine screw in the front of the lower edge of the skirt. drilled a 3/16" hole thru and lock washer and nut to attach. The center "Cam" operated latch holds everything in place. The rear bracket bolts on to the rear fender support arm. They are solid now and will not come loose. Skirts.jpg