Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint help - fading/shading/misting body lines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Apr 12, 2017.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I'm not sure what its called but looking on some info on the best way to attempt painting(highlighting) just the body lines using a fade technique?
    Is it done with just a single pass along the lines or?

2. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

It really depends on the effect your after.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Candy paint, fogged on thin. As many coats as it takes to get the effect you want. More coats equals darker/more opaque.

I am not sure what it is called. Someone will chime-in, I'm sure.

jjjmm56 and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  8. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

I think it was called a fade paint job Gene Winfield is well known for them, as stated previously use contrasting candy for darker effects or pearls for lighter effect depending on the look your after.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  9. I actually saw a Square Bird in a very old magazine where they called the effect a Winfield fade. The way it was written I am not sure if they meant that Winfield did the paint job or that the effect was called that.

What was popular in the bay area when I was little was called an overspray. Gold or Silver were the most popular and I am sure that someone in a paint shop screwed up and convinced the car owner that got the overspray that it was cool. Basically if you fog the spray booth the overspray will just land on the high spots. I like the effect but I doubt that it will ever catch on.

10. Just did it last week.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Shot the base and clear plus an extra coat of clear. Sanded the clear with 600 then shot the fade. It's best to catalyze the fade color. This was dbc500 with vibrance black toner and dx57. Then nice coat of clear Again shot as a "flow coat "

These pictures do no justice at all to what it really looks like in person.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  11. slowmotion

slowmotion

In these parts, that effect was called 'frosting'. Done right, and with complementary colors, it was really sharp. Pretty popular for a while, mid/late 60's-ish. A buddy's older brother scored a clean 2drht '55 Belair, yellow/white factory two-tone (this was around 68/9). The next weekend he painted it medium metallic blue & frosted the side trim lines, etc, black. Added chrome reverse wheels and that thing was the sharpest ride around for a while.

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Whatever you do, you'll have to clear over it, so the thin fogging doesn't wear or rub off. I use an airbrush for very fine work like that, or a door jam gun for wider fogs.