Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What do you use for a radiator overflow bottle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29StudeDude, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having a catch can beats the snot out of having your ride piss on the ground in front of everyone after you pull in and park at a rod trot after put putting through the line and event to a place to park.
    I like Blues4U's drink bottle Idea as you can get one cheap at a thrift store if not free for picking it up after it got left somewhere.
    I've been thinking about welding one up out of a length of exhaust pipe to use. Just paint it to match the core support and inner fender so it blends in and done.

2. cshades

cshades
    from wi

3. thunderplex

thunderplex

4. squirrel

squirrel

you obviously need a bigger motor in there

5. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's very common. An overflow bottle would catch it, then when the radiator cools down it would draw it back in, and you wouldn't need to top off nearly as much.

05snopro440 and Thom Mead like this.
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

8. I have a old, stainless steel military canteen for a catch can. Screw on lid is modified to attach the hose, and a small hole to vent. picture017.jpg

chevy57dude and Thom Mead like this.
  9. So is Penicillin but we live in a world where it is obsolete and won't cure the short arms flue any more. Our world is changing and changing fast.

LOL I live near the Muddy MO, if I dump it is eventually going to end up in someone's ocean. This little diddy comes to mind:

10. My avatar has no overflow bottle. Haven't topped it up in 4 years.
    My A with big block Olds has no overflow. Starting out on the 3rd season without topping up.
    My 51' F1 has no overflow. Starting out on season 2......
    I've never had an issue overheating. If your not overheating, they will find their "level" and stay that way. I'm happy. The fish are happy. My grand-kids are happy.

mad mikey and thunderplex like this.
  11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same as ZAPPER68 - Spun Aluminum Tank...

49.jpeg

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dude, that is a $240 bottle of scotch...too bad it was empty. :(
    Ed, wouldn't it be mounted this way? :rolleyes:
    upload_2017-4-11_13-54-38.png

Flathead Dave and Special Ed like this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had a Gatorade bottle with the Chevy engine and radiator. Had it hid beside the radiator in a dark corner. Not sure yet what I'm gonna use with the Ford engine and new radiator.

14. Under construction.
    The spit can is ready to go in when the engine room is done. DSCN0165.JPG

Blues4U likes this.
  15. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

:) I did help emptying it at the behest of my gracious host. I am sure you get the irony considering that my truck is not pebble beach fodder (Though I do enjoy the hell out of it).

16. j3harleys

j3harleys

The ground.

Al Consoli likes this.
  17. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

MOON water recovery tank here. Hook it up per instructions and it works great. Got it from Honest Charlys............

18. I used an NOS soft drink can first, but found a spun aluminum NOS Octane Boost bottle that works better.

Everybody says, "It's got naws on it!"

IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_4205 - Copy.JPG

deadbeat likes this.
  19. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

IMG_0293.JPG Bota bag on my '49 Fleetline

flatheadpete likes this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A boda bag! (is that what they're called?) Haha, brings back memories of getting plastered on Mad Dog 2020 at the park.

SS327 and mad mikey like this.
  21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Thought it was an old Douche Bag.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    FishFry, SS327, deadbeat and 2 others like this.
  22. Wallaby

Wallaby

I use a fire extinguisher bottle. They come in many shapes; some tall and skinny, others are shorter and thicker around. They are made of either steel or aluminum... do the magnet check. Many of the household non-rechargeable types are aluminum and look quite nice once the paint is stripped off. They have the look of spun aluminum: if not, they can be polished or painted.
    Most of these come with a handy wall mounting bracket, and you just use a hose clamp instead of the flimsy bail they come with. Of course a metal bracket is better than the cheapo plastic type.
    I get these at work when they come around to service our extinguishers. Any non-recharge type get thrown away.

nunattax likes this.
  23. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yep ... the originators and also the innovators of our hobby. Thanks for the shout out. ;)

24. esrbuilders

esrbuilders

pics of dad, deuce, tim, me 012.JPG Old Pyrene brass fire extinguisher, polished.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    nunattax and barryvanhook like this.
  25. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Don't have enough room for a proper fan and too stubborn to go electric. Also, with even a little water loss the car does this weird temp swing deal as I suspect air gets pulled into the top of the core tubes. Solved it with my homebrewed recovery tank, German canteen. Looks like U.S.G.I. but with aluminum cap. Fitting in bung has brass hobby tube soldered in going to 1/2" from bottom opposite corner. Top hose just a vent.

[​IMG]

26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Ha, looking at the pic again I can't believe I got the mounting holes that far off center, then I remembered they needed to be slotted to clear the bigger Holley pump.

Special Ed likes this.
  27. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

This made me turn turn turn and listen to it. Thanks for the message.

porknbeaner and Special Ed like this.
  28. cbillelder

cbillelder

I've used a catch container from an early 90's Geo Metro in a couple cars. It's a nice small rectangular container which already has a cap with the two hose connections needed. They are dirt cheap at your local junkyard. I think I paid only $6 for the last one I bought. If you do get one, chisel out the mounting bracket from the inner fender. You'll need it. These tanks used a special slide on mounting system.

29. Canteen 20160807_212502_zpsz9j1iqmp.jpg 20170411_145534.jpg

Shamus and deadbeat like this.