Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Unless he's gone to hot rodder heaven there also a Mr. Bailey who has at least one of every bodystyle '34 Ford, plus many other cars. Bought a '33 Ford frame from him years ago.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Mtn Goat

Mtn Goat

DOM your right Mr. Bailey is pretty famous up here for his car collection. He certainly might be the one with the 32. Have not seen him several years.
    Semper Fi! Tony & Loudbang! My Dad was a captain in the Marine Corp from 1959 to 1969 and did a tour in Nam in 1967. He was a gear head and would have loved your car.
    Now back to .... the Quick & Dirty!

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Jeff, it would have to be an unusual deal for Bailey to have a '32, as he always told me he didn't like them, "Nothing but a heavy duty Model A" he always said.

4. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

DOM, if your talking about Larry ? he has left the building.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Here we go - never made headers before but never had sex before the first time either .... oh wait that didn't go so well. It was damn fast though :D

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. savannahDan

savannahDan

now that looks like a party!
    Foam pad for you knees?

loudbang likes this.
  7. Yes - I'm damn old. I'll be out there tonight till 10 or 11 like every night :rolleyes:

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sorry to hear that, Joe, I haven't been up Cleveland, GA in several years. He was a genuinely nice guy.
    Tony, why a new header?

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  9. savannahDan

savannahDan

If you could use a second set of hands tonight, I can probably help out.

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

And it was probably really ugly :)
    At the very least it was "Quick and Dirty" :)

Fiddle Picker, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

If it is a quick as the other first you will be done in no time :rolleyes:

Fiddle Picker and Dog_Patch like this.
  12. Nick Smithberg spent a good bit of time on a computer model of the intake port and the matching exhaust formula. We are way short and the pipes are too small according to the simulation. Plus the header flange is overhanging the exhaust port. He sent the dimensions for pipe diameters and collector length. We need to complete the package to tell what the stack length is doing.

The garage is usually open - I haven't a clue what I'm doing so don't expect much but you can bet a cigar will be involved.

loudbang, Fiddle Picker and enloe like this.
  13. savannahDan

savannahDan

building headers...how hard could it be? :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  14. Piece of cake for a mechanical engineer
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help Dan!

Big things have small beginnings
    [​IMG]

16. 4th gear 8,000 rpm - it just feels right :rolleyes:

17. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Who is that gal in the red britches ?
    Think DOM wants to know :)

18. I'm gonna have to start doing that this year now that I got the power to carry it out.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I must admit she is an attractive young woman:D:rolleyes:

Dog_Patch likes this.
  20. That's Donavan's girl - can't get my woman to stand in front of my car for some reason.....

powrshftr and loudbang like this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You have that much insurance on her?

Dog_Patch, powrshftr and loudbang like this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tony,

I have a borescope with a nose that will go in a plug hole if we can figger out how to get it from Griffin to Cumming now with the burnt up road. That crackhead needs his ass kicked till his nose bleeds:mad:

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  23. Got a new fuel pump spud from Alky Digger in the mail - need to assemble that whole front cover harmonic balancer, radiator etc before I can try any running engine stuff. I'm kind of wondering about too much 50W oil in the valve cover. I usually fill the oil through the #1 plug hole and wait for it it drain to the pan. It takes a loooong time to get 8 quarts of oil to drain down a head drain hole. I'm gonna ping Racer X and see if he is running restrictors. There was a guy Tricky Steve who ran AN 8 lines out of the back of the heads to the pan to get the oil out of the heads. Its still weird that we are only talking 1 head. An that would mean the oil is getting sucked into the cylinder because the valve cover is plumb full of oil ? Never saw this in the last 2 seasons - but - I need to check that drain hole on the passenger side - Hylomar is pretty gummy - if the Hylomar is partly blocking the drain back from that head, it could be pooling a lot. I have a bent to hell valve cover I might cut open and then when the engine is running just watch the oil flow in the head. That would prove or disprove that theory.

Got a little time to figure this out -

24. savannahDan

savannahDan

Love the commercial! Be there, be there, BE THERE, saturday saturday SATURDAY!
    You'll pay for the whole seat, but you'll only need THE EDGE!!!! BE THERE!!!!

Mtn Goat, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I clicked on the arrow and only got a note"This video is private":oops:o_O:(:mad:
    Your thoughts about Hylomar blocking a drain hole make sense. Worth investigation.

26. When i switched to the titan pump thats when i really noticed a return problem. I also street drive my car. After driving around i noticed low oil pressure. The pump was sucking the pan dry. I had oil coming out around the spark plug tubes at the valve covers. Tricky steve and i were both having the same problem. We each solved it in a different way. Steve drilled and tapped and welded the head. I drilled as low as possible into the lower corner of my valve cover. I put some number 12 an bungs in the lathe cutting off the flats. This allowed the bung to get lower on the cover. A matching set was made for the pan. These were placed at the rear of the pan above the pickup. They were then welded in place. The early hemis dont have the oil return that the 426 has. The 50 weight just makes a stock set up worse. With the external return on 90 plus degree days i can run 70 wt with no return problems. Watching the video i think there is more going on than a return problem. Hot heads makes a valley cover with a screw on oil fill hole. If you are pulling out a spark plug then filling the engine with oil i would put money on it the smoke is on the same side. It doesnt take much oil running down the plug hole to create a smoke show. There is always some oil that runs down the plug holes every time i pull my covers. The engine smokes so bad on start up it sets off the smoke alarm in the shop. It usually takes a good five minutes of running to clear up. I wonder if you just got alot of oil down a cylinder. Did it ever clear up or at least smoke less?

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tricky Steve's solution with placing the external drainback bungs in the head seems a better solution in the long term, but Racer-X's method makes a faster job in the thrashing inevitable in the period before the next race, easier to getter done. But still gonna take some time to R&R pan and valve cover.
    You say you pour oil in thru tube hole for #1 plug, is that on right side in Hemi cylinder numbering? With a spark plug out it is entirely possible that what is happening is oil getting into that cylinder when you're pouring in the oil. Can you change the valley cover without having too much stuff to remove?
    I wound up with a somewhat similar situation on the SBC in BGII, what with Edelbrock 2X4 intake with no oil fill spout and valve covers with only a small brreather in one and a pvc valve in the other. I pour in oil by removing pvc valve and grommet. Then use a funnel and patience:rolleyes: