Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods State Farm dropped me from their antique insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Apr 10, 2017.

1. finn

finn

I've got three houses, my shop, wife's Jeep, three pickups, a small dump truck, boat, side by side, and two collector cars with SF.

They like me, the rates seem competitive, and it's an easy phone call to suspend, start, or change coverage. Any claim I have had (Deer killed my van and a falling tree limb injured my pickup) were paid promptly, more than fairly, and without hassle).

I looked into Hagerty and there was no significant savings at the time, thus no reason to change

1927graham and Bruce Fischer like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3500 miles a year would not get me very far into the year, and I'd have to quit driving.

I wonder if you ask if they cover the drive to and from the drag strip when you race, what would they say?

oldsjoe, i.rant, Max Gearhead and 2 others like this.
  3. J.C. Taylor No problems at all

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  4. I got two horror stories one with state farm and one with farmers and neither one of them have to do with being dropped. Both have to do with them not paying though. I could no doubt have more then two but if you don't pay me once you don't get any more cash from me.

I no doubt could hear a dozen good stories for every bad one of mine. Lots of people have managed to profit from my misfortune. LOL

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. I'd have to park the car after 5-6 weeks.

6. I had about 1200 miles going into October of last year, then my heart attack put a serious crimp in my driving for a couple of months. I still may be under my 3000 by July, but it may be close. I'll re-up with 5000 or 6000 when the policy renews.

7. you must not have a new stewart warner gage. i am on number three and the new ones start with zero...:rolleyes:;)

oldsjoe and Bruce Fischer like this.
  8. Thanks BigBangTheory.I am going to check them out when my refund check comes back. Bruce.

9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

state farm always had the rep of canceling you if you made a claim; that supposedly was "way back when." as for me, i insure through AARP, which is great if it's not a big-buck car. agreed value, of course.

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

9000 miles last year with my coupe, no mileage restrictions with Grundy. :D

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sure seems to be conflicting reports on restrictions or no restrictions with specialty insurance companies.

Texas57 likes this.
  12. I have State Farm for everything except my hot rod, use Grundy for that, very happy with both companies!!

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^ I also have noticed that differences in restrictions, wonder if being in different states has an effect?

14. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

3500 miles times 4 cars is 14000 miles. Thats more than enough.

Bruce Fischer and oldsjoe like this.
  15. I had my car and old bikes insured with a normal ins broker. 10 years ago, when my kids were born, I just couldn't afford the insurance any more, even just liability was $1000 for the car and $700 each for the bikes. I went to go cancel the policies, intending to just park my junk and give up the hobby for awhile. My broker closed the door, had me sit, wrote "call Hagerty Insurance" on a scrap of paper, slid it across the desk without a word. I had no idea what he was talking about. I called them and haven't looked back since.

If you call Hagerty, Ask them about mileage limitations, I have no mileage limitations on my policy. They require every driver in your household over 18 to have a car insured elsewhere, and for you to say you garage your old ride. My Caddy costs like $250 year FULL coverage (not just liability). I think I told them it was worth around $18k, and that was that. Even without mileage limitations, my car sits more than it drives because it's usually broken waiting for me to fix it. Oh well.

Happy motoring.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My State Farm agent called and is wanting the mileage on my 55 sunliner,I have put on a little under 30,000 miles in 10 years so I wonder what they are going to say when I give it to them.

17. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I spread my driving across three cars. Never have had to report any mileage to the insurance company.
    Hagerty will cover your car to and from any racing event you may want to enter, it's just not covered when engaged in the actual event. Joe

18. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

The rep at hagerty told me the average milage of the drivers they insured was 3500, she never told me I was limited to 3500 or asked me to keep track of milage for them so I don't know how they will know how many miles I drive.

clunker and Bruce Fischer like this.
  19. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

I have 11 cars with JC Taylor, ranging from a 1907 Reo, to a 1994 Ferrari 348 spyder. No annual limitations on driving. Most have original license plates the year of the car. The 1907 Reo, the 1912 model t and the 1913 Reo are all barn fresh and really unrestored and they have photos of them. I have some cars that are driven only on tours maybe 150 miles at a time. The 94 Ferrari and 1966 Shelby Cobra are driven much more in the summer. I have agreed values and there was never any question regarding the values.

Honestly I have never had a claim so I can not offer an opinion. My nephew had a claim several years back. He has a single post in ground hoist in his shop. Some how this hoist raised with his 1913 Cadillac touring over the hoist but slightly off to the side. As the hoist raised the Cadillac was tipped over on its side. The total claim was just at $20,000.00. He called JC Taylor and they told him to take photos and email them to their office. He was contacted the next day and was told an adjuster would call him within 2 days. Once the adjuster saw the damage he called JC Taylor and told them his estimate coast of repairs would be $15,000 to $20,000. JC Taylor cut my nephew a check for 20 grand and told him to let them know if the costs were more than that. He did most of the work himself and was very satisfied with their quick response and settlement.

The real issue with these collector car insurance companies is that they insure cars that are not driven a lot and for the most part well cared for and serviced. Therefore their loss ratio is very minimal. The reason they are quick to respond and pay is they need the losses and the payouts so the Government does not audit and wonder why the income to loss ratio is so low, and make them lower their premiums.

I have a collector car friend that is a VP for State Farm. He has several nice collector cars and he insures with JC Taylor go figure??? My vote goes to JC Taylor for past service low premiums and just nice people to deal with.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I had American Family for 30 years. I ended up with my dads house and they wouldn't cover both houses, only the one I lived in and used as my home address. The agent told me I'd have to try to get insurance on the second house from another company. I told him I have to get insurance for everything from another company. He said I didn't have to switch everything and I said I sure did and I did.

clunker and Bruce Fischer like this.
  21. 1927graham, looks like that's the way I am going to be going.Bruce.

1927graham likes this.
  22. Clunker.Thanks for the information.Bruce.

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I get dropped for driving my sunliner too much I am going with another company for everything.

24. Brasscarguy.That's what gets me .The guy that runs the S.F. office in town I deal with is in to old cars and trucks and always has a different one there.. I should ask him who he deals with? Bruce.

25. Sorry for your troubles, Bruce.

I have had SF for a long time for everything, over 40 years, but about 15 years ago I removed my old cars from the policy and went with Grundy for them only. This happened because I knew I would be driving them long distance and I would be well over the mileage and other SF limitations. My SF agent actually suggested I move to a company that insured old cars - they would rather have me as a regular customer than lose me all together over a claim dispute

As years passed I have also insured my projects with Grundy - rates are really pretty good. Several years ago my avatar was rear ended - Grundy was great, worked with me and Dave Havlir at Houseofab who did the repair, paid for work as we went along on the repair, and had the adjuster out twice for further damage that was found. The Grundy people were great, kept the other insurance company off my back, and I could not be happier.

Insurance for our old cars and everything else is like a moving target - like everything else, you have to ask questions and check up on them constantly. Your agent is your advocate so pick the best one you can find ....

26. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Those of you who got dropped by State Farm, consider yourself lucky. It is far better to get dropped by them than to have to try and collect on a claim. They will do anything and everything underhanded to get out of a fair settlement and to avoid paying your medical bills. If you have State Farm, you should drop them now before you have a claim. Save yourself a lot of grief.

Bruce Fischer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. BJR

BJR

A friend of mine that owns a body shop hates to deal with SF. They always want him to use aftermarket parts and never want to pay enough to fix the car correctly.

6-bangertim and Bruce Fischer like this.
  28. My daughter has her own State Farm Agency, she looked over the Grundy policy and said to go with them!

6-bangertim, i.rant and Bruce Fischer like this.
  29. BJR

BJR

It could have been worse, she could have been a lawyer!:p

30. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Bruce: Insurance companies are bookies. The house controls the odds and they reserve the right to change the rules at any time during the game. And! the house is there to make money. YOUR money. That's the way it works. Any questions? :)