Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can I paint whitewalls black?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wheeldog57, Apr 11, 2017.

1. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I am hoping to get my car into the race of gentlemen in New Jersey but they don't want whitewalls- I have whitewalls. Can I paint or maybe shoe polish? Somebody on here must have experimented. . . 20170326_113927.jpg

2. This is crazy.... I have three sets of whitewalls on three cars. Can't imagine why anyone would ruin a good set! I'd get a set of blackwalls or avoid their gentlemanly race......................

3. Go to a professional suppler for automotive paint to body shops and they should have something to "paint" the tires black. Don't take a short cut with regular paint or shoe polish.

Charlie Stephens

4. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

I'm sure someone will trade you. I would if you were close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.

5. samurai mike

samurai mike

what about that spray on plastic stuff that you can peel off later?

jeffd1988 and 59Apachegail like this.
  6. Turn the white walls inside. That's what I did and they didn't have a problem. Plus it's free.......

7. Let me take one pass down the beach and I'll bring the blackwall tires :)

8. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

the tires I have are white on both sides, I didnt know they made those

9. Graystoke

Graystoke

Try Plastidip or something similar, and you can peel it off after you are done.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  10. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Clean well and use Krylon satin black on entire sidewall.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

12. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Then turn them to the inside .

31hotrodguy likes this.
  13. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

M.E. Miller Tire Co. actually makes tire paint. They have a website and it's listed under tire supplies.

wheeldog57 and Runnin shine like this.
  14. Tyre black? (Tyre paint)

15. Use some household latex black paint if you are bound and determined to do so.

High pressure spray will most likely remove it when your ready for whitewalls again.

If it we me I would sell or trade them for black walls. HRP

16. Seems ridiculous they won't accept whitewalls but will allow painted tires?:rolleyes:

17. Looking at the TROG rules I don't see whitewalls being taboo. HRP

Tires: Period Tires with Period Tread – Aggressive OK (i.e. Grasshopper, Firestone ANS, etc.) Absolutely NO MOTOCROSS KNOBBIES, paddle style, or modern tread tires permitted

18. Wallaby

Wallaby

Back in the day, we did it the other way and painted whitewalls on our cheap black tires.
    You can spray paint them, but you have to use a satin or flat paint. For some reason any paint with a gloss or sheen will not fully dry when applied to rubber. Flat works best, then you can dress them up later.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  19. Fordors

Fordors

From TROG rules-
    Additional Requirements and Restrictions: No headlights, no whitewall tires, no fenders on hot rods......

manx4me likes this.
  20. Looks like it's just for purpose built cars. HRP

21. Fordors

Fordors

As the saying goes- It's their sandbox.
    Pun intended.

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

I used flat black Rustoluem spray paint on the raised white letters on the tires of my 50 one year so I could get into the Vintage Torquefest, (no white letters were allowed and I wasn't taking off nearly new tires for the show). 4 or 5 years later, about 1/2 the white letters are white again, after letting Mother Nature do her thing. The tires are no longer worth worrying about, and the current ride they are on wouldn't qualify for any show. Gene

wheeldog57 likes this.
  23. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

If we lived closer I would let you use my blackwalls.

24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Thanx for the ideas/replies guys

25. I have used ME Miller tire paint and it works great..

26. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

For what it's worth... My son wanted whitewalls on his '73 LTD so he carefully masked them off and used Flex Seal (the stuff you see on TV with the screen door in the boat) to paint on the whites. He said the only trick was to peel the masking tape before it dries. The Flex Seal has been on for about 4 months now and still holding up in Baltimore weather.

Driver50x, czuch and 46international like this.
  27. Now thats thinking outside the box

28. metalman

metalman

First thing I thought of was tire black but where to get it these days??? Long time ago I worked a short while at an Earl Schrib. We had tire black in a gallon can with a big brush in it. Every car got a coat of it on the tires when it came out of the booth to cover the overspray, guess they thought it was cheaper then masking or covering the tires.

bchctybob likes this.
  29. Fordors

Fordors

I still have a quart can of DuPont No.7 tire black. Bought it back in the early 80's to paint out the BF Goodrich white letters on my coupe, and it is still good today. Great stuff, not shiny, just a nice flat sheen.
    It hasn't been on the market in years.

30. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Side note, I'm a little confused as to why white walls are frowned on? There were plenty of wide whites on lakes cars and other southern California hotrods of the 30's and 40's including cars like Isky' s roadster. True, any club can run an event how they see fit but I'm just wondering what the logic is or what particular look they are after??

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app