Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Flathead Heads gift idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombiefink, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Hey guys

Alright so, to start, I've got a friend of mine who is like a brother and a father, best mates old boy so I've known him my whole life basically. To cut the sappy story he's always loved the idea of having a flat head on his shed wall cause he thinks they look badass. His birthdays coming up and I scored 3 oldschool heads. Two cast, one aluminium. I originally had an idea to make some kinda rustic frame for them to sit on out of a heap of left over pine (unlimited pallets)
    But after picking up the two cast heads I have since re-evaluated my plan! What's a cool thing I could do with em?
    Was thinking, paint one, polish the other and leave the last original, then was thinking I like the original look. Either way, I wanna do something a bit cooler than just 'heres some heads' kinda idea y'know?

Cheers
    Jackson

Sent from my D6653 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen some turned into wall clocks. Sold a set of 59ab heads once at a yard sale and the guy said he was going to use it as them as candle holders. Seems like over kill but that's what he was planning. I'm sure there are better ideas out there.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Don't do anything that damages them fatally...someday, people with matching single heads are going to turn up right here and they are going to KILL YOU if you do.

Nobey likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could put coat hooks in the plug holes for a cool shop coat hanger without causing damage.

Or stick dowels in the holes and hang brooms, and other tools or fan belts and such.

Or small base light bulbs for a cool wall sconce on either side of the mirror in the shitter.

Come to think of it I need some!

5. I'd turn the aluminum one into a clock, polish the other two, and mount them in some sort of wood frame, like you thought.
    You could run LED light strips around the edge.

6. Nobey

Nobey

You can paint something on them, me wife painted these for the "Hot Rod Homecoming", used them
    to decorate the booth..... IMG_5807.jpg

7. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

flatheads are just cool, they dont need no paint or polish.
    Just hang them on the wall as is, you just raised the real estate value for the whole neighborhood.

toolz likes this.
  8. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Here's a couple of V8 60 heads that I made lamps for my 2 boy's for last Xmas. No damage or alterations to the heads, you can bolt them back on and use them if need be. IMG_0263.JPG

9. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Those lamps are bitchin!!!! How'd you make the giant spark plugs??? Are those just wooden bases you mounted the heads too?

10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

The giant spark plugs were cast resin lamps I sourced thru Summits Hot Rod Gear or whatever it's called, I sawed the bases off and mounted them with an aluminum adapter and set screws that I turned out on my lathe, it also doubles as the distributor. The bases are formed 16 ga sheet metal blasted and painted.
    Thanks for the admiration.

11. Squablow

Squablow

No offense to the crafters out there, but if someone were giving those to me as a gift, I think I'd just want to hang them on the wall as-is, or maybe cleaned and repainted but not built into some kind of clock/coatrack/tchotchke. I have some old speed equipment stuff on my office wall and I like it but it's just there on display.

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Don't do anything to the heads. Maybe mount them to something (make a plaque) and add a script of some sort like, "Here's to my Buddy, My Dad, CHEERS 2017".