Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrome costs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gizzy, Dec 28, 2016.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

Being an "Old Timer" IMO, the prices have reached, "You got to be $hittin me", "Are you Fn nuts ?" Definitely at point of shut up and pay up or go without, which I tend to do now, when you see a chromed masterpiece and his Dad does not own a chrome shop, you are looking at a serious bucks up ride. Around 2007/8 had one of my cars at World of Wheels show at Fair park Expo and was admiring a 64 Impala low rider type car, beautiful paint, interior, chrome, and engraved Everywhere, never saw this type of car at this level in person before and jokingly said to young man polishing car, Man ! Your Dad must own a chrome shop And his reply was, Yes we do, gave me their business card, said, this was their first attempt at traveling the show circuit to promote their shop, nice young man and still have that card somewhere. Love the car Hobby, just am aware of where me and my wallet fits in now.

Kro-Pro likes this.
  2. Kro-Pro

Kro-Pro

Try us for your next chrome plating job, we are a family ran company and can help you with any questions as well

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

You bet chrome costs. My 63 Impala a just completed frame off restoration has over $7K into chrome plating on the exterior trim. IMG_0642.JPG

4. trailerpark

trailerpark

I have never had anything chromed so, what kind of price are we looking at to get a bumper rechromed? I realize it would vary on your location and bumper condition.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

250-300 if your going to drive it....1000 if your lookin for 2nd place at Pebble Beeach.
    I had 2 of my bumper guards replayed near me for 90 a piece. I bought 2 replayed ones out of Az. for 130 at an obsolete parts shop I found on the Internet.

6. I would be doing backflips if I could get stuff chromed for that kind of money. Who is doing concours quality plating of a bumper for $1000?

OFT likes this.
  7. Ha!

8. Mexican connection?

9. Your Contact info would help with that

10. I look at chrome costs like this, today I can get a job as a pawn shop sign, but if I had anything chromed that option would no longer be on the table.

220px-Pawnshop_with_sign_in_usa.jpg

11. Paying for Chrome platting is like trying to settle the National debt,it's almost impossible.

I kept sending parts to the platter for 7 years until I had it all completed,that way I didn't have to take out a second mortgage on the house an kinda softened the blow when I got the bill. HRP

12. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Saw a episode of that reality car show featuring Rick Dore. He and his wrestling buddy took their stuff just over the border into Mexico.

mike in tucson likes this.
  13. Mexico is always an option but you are best to take someone who knows their way around.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like most things in life, it's all relevent.
    Do you want ten feet chrome work or two feet chrome work?
    If you think it's all the same, go with the cheapest bid then come back on here a year later.
    You will soon know the difference.
    Case in point:
    Years ago I needed lug nuts for some wheels with an odd ball shank hole size and none were available with the threads required on the car. Machined a full set to spec. and had them chromed by a guy that ultimately ended up just being a middleman with no shop.
    Mounted them up, then six months later took them off with hand lug wrench to put new tires on and one by one the chrome cracked and started falling off.
    Learned a lesson, the second time it cost twice as much but never had any more issues.

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

I doubt that you could get a bumper rechromed in Cambodia for $250-$300. Definitely not happening in the USA.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Orale.....

17. LOL most gringos think that you just go over there and get something done. Mexico is an entirely different world than the one we live in.

18. You can get a kidney for $300 there,
    $27,699.99 for R&R installation.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vernes in Gardena did my bumpers for 200 and they are perfect and needed no straightning. My horn ring was higher than a bumper. AAArtistic in Signal Hill said 1000 on bumpers and they did some small trim pieces for me. 55-56 Ford bumpers are not 57-58 Cadillacs and much easier. It's condition that makes extra$$$$'s ....

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

I called Vernes Plating but they were closed. Bet their phone will ring off the hook tomorrow by guys looking for the $200 bumper replating special.

Gary

21. I hope it's not another bumper boyz alias. HRP

22. Just dropped my 34 grille off at the platers. We'll talk when it gets done.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Danny, I guaranty you can't get a $200 bumper from the Boyz or anyone else.

Gary

24. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

I have 8K in chrome on my 53 Chrysler ...did front and rear bumpers and guards, grill, side trim and some small parts for the wood floor in back. The grill and side trim are pot metal and not only expensive to do but hard to even find a shop that will do them. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wicarnut likes this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are chrome shops who come to the Long Beach Performance Swap Meet selling bumpers depending on which ones for near 200.
    Bob, from Vernes always has a table there too. They also do powder coating and have done some for me years ago. I have no idea what he will estimate for your chrome work but the work he did for me was well over 1000 and included the bumpers, guards, steering wheel horn ring and misc other parts. My thing has always been to shop around not for just the deal but for the quality. I'm not going to Pebble Beach just to the Donut Derelicks and to misc picnics.

26. Now that a deal, last I checked a kidney was 60K here and the person giving it up gets nothing in return. :D

27. I chrome everything. I have my parts polished first by my polisher. he knows just how much time to put into the part. chrome plating does not need a mirror finish. this saves a lot of money. I then take them to the plater. I tell them exactly what kind of finish I want. some parts I want a heavy nickel build up other parts thin. the nickel plays a part in how smooth the parts come out. I always count how many parts I drop off and take pictures. I have the number on the receipt. always ask if the parts are done in house or shipped away. not every shop does all the work in house. I have been using global chrome lately 1-847-249-4040 they are located in Waukegan il. on delany rd. they have good prices. I cant believe how much you guys are paying. they aren't giving their services away but I don't leave the place holding my ass either. look at my thread rebuilding after the crash. their are pics of their work there. they just did every part I could unbolt from the car.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  28. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Get ur credit card out its gonna cost u more than theyer worth lol

29. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Chrome cost are way out of control, we have one at work to chrome our hydraulic cylinders and it doesn't cost that much to do it's the waste disposal that cost so much it's extremely high I kno its 750.00 to do my bumpers but it's the same price to buy new ones so what u gonna do lol, hot rod harry

30. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Well I disagree with ur comment about the chrome look it looks very good on all kinds of cars and it's up to the individual to decide what he wants, he didn't ask which one should he use aluminum or chrome, he wants to kno which would be better to do rechrome or buy new, I say Buy new it'll be cheaper in the long run but if ur going for a perfect job then rechrome is the best option, jmo